POTUS 2020

STAR WARS PREDICTION CONTEST. Winners Announced

7 hours ago, Juby said:

I repeat. Only 2 movies in the history crossed one billion in domestic box office (adjusted) in their first theatrical releases! Titanic (1997) - $1,072.7 mln, and E.T. (1982) - $1,010.6 mln (according to my calculation).

TFA won't be THAT big!! I think Avatar adjusted ($811,1 mln) is a huge challenge. First Star Wars original run ($220 mln before July 1978 re-release) adjusted is 'only' about $820 mln (biggest in the history of the series). I'm afraid that even with 3D and IMAX TFA won't beat that.

Jaws did

I thought star wars ran str8 thru to next summer

If it closed for a month or two then reopened to create summer hype I still put that down as one release. Its not like disneys tactic of every 7 years for a new crop of kids and new parents to go and see a toon

33 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

im conflicted. I think the weekend could be batshit crazy high approaching 300m with this hype but that it wont beat Avatar by not reaching all the demos it did with  the new 3d gimmick,

2.5 multi like HP8 but at xmas time?

No way it hits 300 OW and misses Avatar DOM. I would buy a 150m OW before I'd buy that. 

40 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

im conflicted. I think the weekend could be batshit crazy high approaching 300m with this hype but that it wont beat Avatar by not reaching all the demos it did with  the new 3d gimmick,

I think that's basically impossible. Even with super-frontloading, no way it falls that far beneath a 3x. ROTK is probably our closest comp, and scale it up all you want, but it easily passed a 3x multi, and that's with a ton of demand the first few days.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

I honestly don't think it has the faintest chance of hitting $300M. Has the total domestic take for any single 3-day weekend ever hit or exceeded $300M? The highest I've seen on BOM is in the upper $200M range, even on weekends with individual films that took in over $200M (TA & JW). The 4-day Memorial Day weekend in 2013 saw $313M in ticket sales, but TFA won't have that Monday boost helping it. 

Basically, I'll believe $300M if/when it happens. And maybe not even then.;)

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

It won't hit 300m. Around 230m would already be amazing for it as it is. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

It won't hit 300m. Around 230m would already be amazing for it as it is. 

Well, yea, of course it would be.  That would take the opening weekend record by about 20 million.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Talkie said:

I honestly don't think it has the faintest chance of hitting $300M. Has the total domestic take for any single 3-day weekend ever hit or exceeded $300M? The highest I've seen on BOM is in the upper $200M range, even on weekends with individual films that took in over $200M (TA & JW). The 4-day Memorial Day weekend in 2013 saw $313M in ticket sales, but TFA won't have that Monday boost helping it. 

there hasnt been a 3 day over 300 collectively, but you can argue this is 4 days with thursday possibly exceeding 50m.  theaters will run extra shows. , 24hrs in some cases. to boost Friday further.  im not saying itll clear it but it could get into the upper 200s

Now that I saw that The Phantom Mess sold more tickets that Avatar then maybe it beats Avatar adjusted 811m.

35 minutes ago, Talkie said:

This lunacy that has taken over is due to, 1-the property being actually gigantic, no doubt, 2- nostalgia-colored glasses, 3-Jurassic World's opening. “Hey, if a once-popular franchise that was virtually dead can break an opening weekend record, certainly Star Wars, which was infinitely more popular than JP to begin with, and never really died (in spite of the prequels), will surely destroy the OW, in spite of all the factors that make it very difficult to happen...”.  So there, all the upcoming heartbreak, meltdowns, and «Star Flops: It Grossed Less Than Avatar” madness is Chris Pratt’s, Dallas Bryce Howard's and Colin Trevorrow’s fault.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

This lunacy that has taken over is due to, 1-the property being actually gigantic, no doubt, 2- nostalgia-colored glasses, 3-Jurassic World's opening. “Hey, if a once-popular franchise that was virtually dead can break an opening weekend record, certainly Star Wars, which was infinitely more popular than JP to begin with, and never really died (in spite of the prequels), will surely destroy the OW, in spite of all the factors that make it very difficult to happen...”.  So there, all the upcoming heartbreak, meltdowns, and «Star Flops: It Grossed Less Than Avatar” madness is Chris Pratt’s, Dallas Bryce Howard's and Colin Trevorrow’s fault.

The sellouts and pre-sale numbers speak for themselves. There have been legitimate signs that 300 could happen when you compare it to any other record breaker ever, and if you haven't seen those signs you're not paying attention. Granted, I will admit the 250 range is more likely but 300 is no longer just lunacy speaking. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Honestly any record breaking is still hella impressive considering Christmas is next week and the drop is gonna be super small

The drop is only gonna be "super small" if you understand the box-office well. Otherwise, it's gonna look like one of the biggest drops for second weekend during the Christmas holidays. If it drops "only" 40%, that'll be amazing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

This could do a "mere" 175 OW and it would still be monstrous.  The December record is frikkin 84 million.

march was a 70m OW month then alice and HG1 came along as march game changers, who needs to wait til May?

dec movies have mostly been 3 hour movies with less shows, opened a weekend earlier during finals and a fan base that could wait to see it over the holidays

JW had just 18m on Thursday. It made 190 the rest of the weekend without all this hype

If SW7 makes 30m more on Thursday and has more sellouts over the weekend then it should best JW by at least 50m I assune. Plus a lot more repeat viewings within the weekend. 275+ is starting to sound rational if the intel on the sellouts is correct

fuck it, I hate being low. In golf, never up never in!

Change

283m OW

953.5 Dom

2090 WW