#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

16 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

I just bought some gift cards at the movie theater, and there was a big line for tickets. As I left, I saw this guy in his 30s with his wife with a sad look on his face as he said "Two to Sisters"

The sex must be SPECTACULAR.

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Am I the only one that thinks that BB-8 is the cutest thing ever? 

Right there with you.

2 hours ago, ecstasy said:

This is a huge point that shouldn't be missed.  The last weekend for holiday shopping is a huge factor.

This is December. Not summer.  All of the normal increases and decreases that people are used to applying to get numbers are thrown out the window.

The force is strong but so is Christmas shopping. We'll see which wins out.

The pre sales data that was released indicated that only 55% of the pre sales were for this weekend and that the majority of that 55% was for Thursday and Friday. So that means imo, that Saturday and Sunday will get most of the business from walk ups.

This is uncharted territory here. Can't wait to see where the journey takes us.

60629309.jpg

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Look, when it comes down to sports, and box office in general, it's about isolating variables. The fight and the Derby were CLEARLY the only factors impact AOU's Saturday, and the Sunday hold confirmed that. This weekend, you cannot POSSIBLY isolate sports as the only intercedent variable having a statistical impact. There's so many other variables- shopping, travel, parties, church, and even baking fucking cookies- that can have an impact. It's just faulty statistical thinking to put all of the significance on ONE variable when there's so many in play

Agreed.   There are a lot of reasons why having a huge OW is unexpected in December and sports is just ONE of those reasons.

• Like 1

Wait a minute... someone thinks Fantasy Football is going to factor into a slightly less than astronomical opening weekend?

A "sport" that players need no more 5 minutes to set your lineup and let it all play out beyond your control?

Because a fantasy football player who lucked into a matinee can't go 135 minutes without checking his phone?

I have to laugh at that. Really really hard.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

So...in terms of dollars, DH2 did 3/4 of what TFA did. But how much in ticket sales? Potter had lower 3D shares. Did it sell 80% of the tickets TFA did on OD? 

Does it matter it will be past dh2 opening by end of today? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

That's nothing, when I entered the actual theater after being in line for an hour last night, the theater was completely full except for maybe 5% of the seats with 40 minutes until showtime

When I was leaving the line was all the way out the door past the box office, there were at least 100-150 people waiting to get in.

• Like 1

Blank's updated projections:

Sat: 66.2M

Sun: 52.8M

3-Day Weekend: 239.5M

Mon: 32.3M

Tues: 34.1M

Weds: 32.7M

Thurs: 22.2M

Opening week: 360.9M

Fri: 44.0M

Sat: 40.8M

Sun: 38.9M

Second weekend: 123.7M

DOM: 926.5M

WW: 2.455B

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bulldawg626 said:

Everything about that last fight still fills me with pure glee.

Not me... but I finally understand what you guys mean now after not being a fan of JW. About 75% of TFA's runtime I was full of pure glee

1 minute ago, HeyItsMoses said:

Is it weird that I'm disappointed its opening day isn't between $130-$145 as mentioned earlier? 

Anyway, when do we get Saturday numbers?

Yes nobody should be disappointed by this number.

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

So...in terms of dollars, DH2 did 3/4 of what TFA did. But how much in ticket sales? Potter had lower 3D shares. Did it sell 80% of the tickets TFA did on OD? 

Potter did 45% in 3D, TFA was reported at 45% for previews but ithad a greater portion of that from IMAX/PLF and lower from RealD (Potter was about 9% IMAX/, negligible for PLF).  

Potter OD I have at 10.1M tickets.  TFA I have at 11.7-11.8M and it will fluctuate until we get updated splits.  Right now I've gone with the preview split of 25% RealD/10% IMAX/8% PLF.

• Like 5