#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

I saw Avatar opening night and hated it besides one of the opening 3D scenes where he is floating outside the bay and the fireflys scene. I think I saw it one other time with friends in theaters and still really disliked it. It felt like a giant video game and I was never immersed.

I haven't watched it since because without the 3D, the movie had no value to me. Many others feel differently but I was never a fan.

The fact that so many view it as a gimmick that they enjoyed once or a couple times in theaters is exactly why the sequel won't go anywhere near the original domestically. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

A gimmick doesn't give you those holds and that bo run.

Yeah, you all fail.

You tried though.

Of course it gives. Avatar's WOM was driven by the power of 3D.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Even the playgrounds are safe tonight. Star Wars. Its power.

:apocalypse: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

The fact that so many view it as a gimmick that they enjoyed once or a couple times in theaters is exactly why the sequel won't go anywhere near the original domestically. 

Agreed unless James comes up with some new super gimmick. 

The reason I want TFA to destroy the record is because it might bring back practical effects in the way that Avatar popularized 3D. It would also be awesome if other studios and film makers followed what Disney did with the marketing here (which is a huge reason for its success). Like stop showing the whole movie in the trailer and TV spots. Leave some mystery. 

I remember MI: Ghost Protocol literally showed everything. And that seems to be the case with a lot of big blockbusters lately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

A gimmick doesn't give you those holds and that bo run.

Yeah, you all fail.

You tried though.

It absolutely does when you consider the performance of the first 3D movie after Avatar in Alice 3D which many consider a weak film AT BEST. I love Avatar's run & WW total but it's likely it was a one time phenomenon kind of like Titanic was.