AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

11 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Damn, I thought that was Coruscant being blown up and it was awesome.

Probably because someone suggested blowing it up and the High Powers said "No, we want to keep that planet around for future materials."

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Probably because someone suggested blowing it up and the High Powers said "No, we want to keep that planet around for future materials."

They seem to be avoiding any overt references to the prequels.

Backlash thinkpieces already popping up guys.

People are already re-writing their reviews saying how they have been fooled by the movie.

The Backlash.

It s true.

All of it.

Took longer than I thought.

Well the film has become a ridiculous success greater then anyone reasonable imagined really.

Like in 17 days it will sell almost as many tickets as one of the most widely watched blockbuster of the recent Era The Dark Knight is absurd. 

This is destined to be hand wrung over time, like TPM, no surprise. I myself will admit Ive been thinking, and there really is a lot more inconsistencies than I orginally thought, but the movie still deserves its dues. 

As a standalone movie, A-. As a Star Wars movie, high B.

ps can you really fault Abrams for playing it safe and this movie being heavily nostalgia driven? You should've expected that when it was bought by Disney.

Disney has 2 main goals: get you to buy their toys, and get you in their parks. It's a double edged sword, because ultimately the product we got was still pretty good. And come on, if it was Fox announcing it, yall would've bitched and moaned for 3 years wishing theyd just leave SW to be, so just be happy. Thats the industry today. Its commercial. While I hope more emphasis will be put on story next time, you have to also expect more toy-driven antics.

• Like 1

I really think the 3RD (!) Death Star thing will hurt the movie in the long run.

The last act is always very important for ANY movie and the fact they didn't even try to come up with something different is really aggravating the "where s the originality in this movie" thing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I really think the 3RD (!) Death Star thing will hurt the movie in the long run.

The last act is always very important for ANY movie and the fact they didn't even try to come up with something different is really aggravating the "where s the originality in this movie" thing.

Death Star 3.0  is definately the most obvious weapon for people who are in the "TFA is just a rehash of ANH" camp. But this isn't the only problem these people have with the movie. I don't think it will be a dealbreaker to anyone else who liked the movie even if they didn't need to see another Death Star.

I also didn't like it, I would prefer to be anything else but a death star, but in the Starkiller base part of the movie we have 3 of the best/most memorable scenes that completely overshadow the "Ugghh, another Death Star, how original" sentiment.

-Kylo Ren interrogating Rey

-Han's Death

-Lightsaber duel

These are my 3 favorite scenes from the entire movie and all of them happened in the last act. 

Edited by Joel M

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

Death Star 3.0  is definately the most obvious weapon for people who are in the "TFA is just a rehash of ANH" camp. But this isn't the only problem these people have with the movie. I don't think it will be a dealbreaker to anyone else who liked the movie even if they didn't need to see another Death Star.

I also didn't like it, I would prefer to be anything else but a death star, but in the Starkiller base part of the movie we have 3 of the best/most memorable scenes that completely overshadow the "Ugghh, another Death Star, how original" sentiment.

-Kylo Ren interrogating Rey

-Han's Death

-Lightsaber duel

These are my 3 favorite scenes from the entire movie and all of them happened in the last act. 

I strongly disagree with this.

Backlash is also the wrong word for many of the not 100% positive reactions.

Most people I talked to liked it but didn't think it was anywhere near a masterpiece.
The criticism is genuine in many cases and not driven by backlash at all. Actually I am a bit surprised the Death Star stuff and structure of the last act didn't hurt reviews more. There are some of the best scenes of all SW movies in that last third. But the whole sun eating thing and size of the killer is IMHO too much even for that universe. It doesn't ruin it but no backlash needed for disliking that right away. The first half of the movie works so well that I was a bit surprised by how safe (?) they played it.

Be it as it may... One shouldn't throw all criticism into the backlash category too easily.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It's way more than just the final act the more critical takes are saying is lacking originality FYI.

Edited by GiantCALBears

3 hours ago, jandrew said:

This is destined to be hand wrung over time, like TPM, no surprise. I myself will admit Ive been thinking, and there really is a lot more inconsistencies than I orginally thought, but the movie still deserves its dues. 

ps can you really fault Abrams for playing it safe and this movie being heavily nostalgia driven? You should've expected that when it was bought by Disney.

Disney has 2 main goals: get you to buy their toys, and get you in their parks. It's a double edged sword, because ultimately the product we got was still pretty good. And come on, if it was Fox announcing it, yall would've bitched and moaned for 3 years wishing theyd just leave SW to be, so just be happy. Thats the industry today. Its commercial. While I hope more emphasis will be put on story next time, you have to also expect more toy-driven antics.

Well said.

4 hours ago, jandrew said:

TPM has become a derided joke in pop culture.  TFA is nowhere near as terrible as TPM is.  If there is a "backlash" (which I see no signs of yet, random think pieces hardly count) it wont be nearly as severe.   Yes, there is "its like poetry, it rhymes" in this movie, but that alone isn't nearly enough to sink the movie's reputation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's way more than just the final act the more critical takes are saying is lacking originality FYI.

You didn't get me, I know there are tons of other ANH-ESB nods in FA but without The Death Star Killer base in the final act, the last impression( which is the most important in a movie) could/would have been different since all that is happening with the characters is new and kinda fresh.

I actually liked the ANH-ESB feel throughout the movie but when the Death Star appeared, I knew how it was gonna play out on that front.

• Like 1