AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

1 minute ago, Wrath said:

Well, I wouldn't object, but I'm afraid you're the only one who's really fired up about making it happen. :(

I just think there's alot of new material here to make an amazing spoof movie though. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 75live said:

In the theater to see it a second time in about a 13 hour span 

I liked all the new characters .  They all have good chemistry which helps a lot. 

I agree.  During the first few scenes after Rey and Finn met Han and Chewy, I kept thinking "They're doing a really nice job of blending the old and the new."

• Like 1

Saw this last night with a capacity audience that roared with approval when the movie started, but by the end not one person clapped. And you know I don't say that to embellish this notion everyone was on the same page with me. It's just that the movie was SO ANTICLIMATIC because it spent so much time borrowing from a New Hope instead of adding layers to an existing story. The effects were great. The acting was a relief to see back in a good place. All solid. But the story and even some of the dialogue was SO painfully borrowed, it never felt like much of a new movie so much as a retread or reboot. Heck when you have Han telling Chewy to throw a imperial officer into a trash compactor, you've jumped the proverbial plotting shark.

I guess my hopes were this new trilogy would be more about the Empire reconstituting itself, rather than a reset with the Empire (or New Order) already back in shape. Hell this Death Star/planet made the old one look like a ping pong ball. I also didn't like the new villain. No mystique about him. And Rey mastered too much of the Force too soon to not even be aware of it. Heck it took Luke three films to believe in it and get fairly good at it before he faced off against Vader. Here the new Jedi is fighting the big bad guy by the end without one training class. Such a leap in logic for this established world. And no, I do not believe Han is gone. As a rule, any body of a character that can not be retrieved is a loop hole for writers to bring him/her back (probably for the third film).

So it wasn't that the movie was bad. On the surface it was a quality production, but in the script it felt like a studio contrived product. Unoriginal and safely formulated for a new generation. Who am I to judge? Maybe that is the right move. Just didn't work for this old fart who grew up with the originals. I guess when you get a certain age you can see more clearly when things are being copied. This was insanely a color-by-the-numbers production.

Edited by Eastwood47
  • Like 2

I do not understand why so many are complaining about a retread/reboot story. As someone who saw the original in the summer of 1977 and all the others during their original runs as well, that is exactly the movie I hope to see later today. :)

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

The entire plot of the movie was finding Luke for both the evil and good sides. When they finally found him at the very end of the movie, he had no lines and only had 10 seconds shot of his face and cue to credits. That was a big FU to the GA following this movie and the audience was pretty verbal about that ending as I heard negative mumblings about that ending. 

Our theater clapped when the Lucasfilm logo came up, when the Episode VII showed, when Han and Chewie stepped on the Falcon when Rey grabbed the saber out of the snow and at the end.  Guess we made up for other theaters, lol.  Enthusiastic bunch of nerds, we were.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

Our theater clapped when the Lucasfilm logo came up, when the Episode VII showed, when Han and Chewie stepped on the Falcon when Rey grabbed the saber out of the snow and at the end.  Guess we made up for other theaters, lol.  Enthusiastic bunch of nerds, we were.

Same at mine. The Falcon's introduction was superb, that got a lot of claps.

• Like 1

I've got to say, I'm surprised by the negative opinions here. And honestly, much of what you're arguing about is stuff I felt made the movie better. Kylo Ren is way more interesting as Han/Leia's son than just another Vader-esque figure... and I felt Driver did a better job portraying the internal struggle than anything we were shown about Anakin in the prequels. Pairing Ren with Rey (who's presumably Luke's daughter) makes a really interesting dynamic moving forward for the next couple movies. In terms of the SW universe being bigger than this core family -- maybe the expanded universe, but the movies have always been closely focused on the Skywalkers, essentially, and this continues in their footsteps.

I can quibble about the general framework of the plot involving another monolithic system-destroyer, but heck, if it's good enough for JEDI it's good enough for me.

• Like 15

19 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

Our theater clapped when the Lucasfilm logo came up, when the Episode VII showed, when Han and Chewie stepped on the Falcon when Rey grabbed the saber out of the snow and at the end.

Only for those moments? :P 

At our screening, I think every familiar face or object got applause/cheers/laughter (as appropriate).

• Like 7

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I've got to say, I'm surprised by the negative opinions here. And honestly, much of what you're arguing about is stuff I felt made the movie better. Kylo Ren is way more interesting as Han/Leia's son than just another Vader-esque figure... and I felt Driver did a better job portraying the internal struggle than anything we were shown about Anakin in the prequels. Pairing Ren with Rey (who's presumably Luke's daughter) makes a really interesting dynamic moving forward for the next couple movies. In terms of the SW universe being bigger than this core family -- maybe the expanded universe, but the movies have always been closely focused on the Skywalkers, essentially, and this continues in their footsteps.

I can quibble about the general framework of the plot involving another monolithic system-destroyer, but heck, if it's good enough for JEDI it's good enough for me.

I was happy to hear you liked it so much Tele. Was not expecting that. It certainly has it's faults but what it did well, it did really well. It's tough for me to rank it after one viewing, but I think it's pretty close to Jedi. TFA and ROTJ share a lot of similarities, not just in quality.

• Like 1

I really liked it. JJ's pacing really worked for me. It was a complete roller coaster ride. All the new actors were fantastic. Ford was good(fisher was however meh). Best part is they set up SW8 as good as anyone could dream. Since they held back Luke while emphasizing him as the key story point is going to pay off big time. Ford's end was ok though one does feel sad that Han Solo wont be there for future SW movies(unless he appears in future flashbacks).

I hope JJ comes back to do another one.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

YAS. SNATCH THESE EXTRA ASS HOES AND THEIR WIGS. GO IN ON THEM, BABY. SPEAK ON IT, SIS. SCALP US ALL ONE BY ONE WITH YOUR WORDS.

vR3vfIW.gif

• Like 2