Dementeleus

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

16 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Its not a big deal at all, a bit lol you want someone else to read the article for you. It's just how his contract is laid out, he got a massive raise last year already.

A bit = rather atypical for me :blush:

I am reading something that needs attention, already cooking in between the X-Mas Eve meal (= in my family the 'real' X-Mas meal, in our region also the evening when the presents will be given, 25.... is for visits and so on....), and based on a strong 'Föhn' I have headache since days, also seeking BO news (I guess I should try to relax...) = didn't want to start a new theme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

edit:

I write and read in English and speak to my family in German.... but I just spoke in English to them = I guess my concentration is a bit shot :lol:

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Ed....wtf are u talking about? -35% from 38 mill is closer to 25 mill.

yep. from a 38 flat a 35% decrease would be $24.7.

I'd love to see this hit 25M today. That would simply be an insane number when the current X Eve champ is Avatar at less than $12M.

It was basically halfway to JW DOM in 5 days (1M short). it will hopefully be halfway to Avatar DOM today - 7 days.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

We won't see a 200 mill second weekend, that would be bigger than the first weekend minus previews....not happening.  140-180 is the range imho.

Love that we have to brush thoughts of a 200 mill second weekend, and simply settle for the 140-180 range on the 2nd weekend. :rofl:

• Like 11

8 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

This forum, though, makes following so much more fun. It explodes when Rth comes in with an update and I can barely keep up with just reading your guys' posts!

Yes. I'm still here 8 hours later trying to catch up. 14 more pages to read. I'm off work and its still morning so I have nothing to do but laugh at Kal.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

How do you live with yourself?

It's been 7 days :P

I live in a country where it's being released Tomorrow(Actually today, previews) due to creating some buzz and mostly because of the 2 Local Big films which are being released.

And i could have seen it today but my friend told me to wait for him(every fucking time),so i did. I was seeing all your posts,which made me even more excited,jealous & i couldn't fucking wait. 
My expectations always get busted hardly, ya i don't even know how i live with myself. 

Edited by Ash Skywalker
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

To think, if SW7 hits 150m 2nd Weekend, it'd be a number most films can only dream about for their OW.

150 would make it the 12th largest weekend in Cinema history (DOM).  152.6 would make it top 10. 

if it could somehow really exceed everything and get 169.2 that would make it #6 behind it's own opening weekend, JW and 3 Marvel movies (TA, APU, and IM3)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Really pressed for time today...so I'll just leave you with my review from 99...it's a little juvenile sounding now, so please forgive me for that, but the ideas behind it will illustrate how I feel.

Warning: may be some small spoilers.

I have always been a James Cameron fan. He is really one of the only directors I can say that has never made a bad film. Even his Piranha 2 was humorous and a fine effort coming from such a young director with a small budget. He has made, from what I can recall, two masterpieces (Aliens and Terminator 2) a genre pioneer (Terminator) and one of the best action movies to come out in the 90's ( True Lies ) and an ambitious touching film ( The Abyss ). But now he has outdone himself with Titanic. I don't think there has ever been a film that has taken me through such a wide array of emotions as this one. And that is all attributed to Cameron. He wrote, produced and directed this film. And it is one of the best films ever made.

We all know the story of Titanic. A great ship sets sail for the U.S. from the U.K. and along the way it sinks and many people lost their lives in the Atlantic somewhere near Newfoundland. So there is no need to retell those events documentary style. A Night To Remember is there for that purpose. So what Cameron's Titanic does is tells the tale of fictitious characters blended in with real ones amidst the real events of the sinking. And it not only makes the film entertaining, it shows the sheer horror of what happened that night and makes you more sympathetic to the characters because you spend three hours with them. This is a brilliant, brilliant film.

To start with, the actors are perfect. Not just DiCaprio and Winslet, but everyone from Zane and Bates right down to Paxton as the present day treasure hunter. But it is Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio that are the true stars here as it the two of them that have to carry the load and make us care about them. And we do. We can feel them falling in love. We can feel the helpless emotions that Jack feels when he is trying to tell Rose that he loves her the day of the sinking. It is their relationship that is a great strength of the film.

Next, what has to be mentioned is the score by James Horner. Very few times has a motion picture had a score that symbolized the sheer hopelessness and tragedy that is on screen. But here Horner has a perfect and somber piece of music that will bring tears to your eyes, especially when lives and love are lost.

Also, the whole scope of the film is one of tragedy. It is a tragic love story, a tragic story of refugees trying to make a better life for themselves and have it all end abruptly with a giant piece of ice. It is a sad look at bureaucracy and wealth and how it can manipulate and control many things.

But most importantly, this is a love story and an inspirational tearjerker. Rose and Jack fall fast and hard and it doesn't matter that they are from different worlds. Love sees no boundaries. If it is there, nothing can stop it. Not even death.

Titanic is perfect in every sense. And as a guy, it is my duty not to cry in movies. I know how ridiculously old fashioned that sounds but it is true. We just aren't supposed to. But I left my testosterone at the door and when I finally let go, I found myself brought to tears as the scenes of children clinging for life in the frigid waters would be enough to bring the strongest man to tears. Cameron has manipulated us to perfection here and even if you find the romance to be embellished (which I don't) to watch this film and know that this happened, is a sad and disturbing reality. Few films have ever done this to me. Few have ever made me feel such a connection to the characters. Titanic does, and by the end of the film, you feel like you know the people of Titanic like they were your long lost relatives. 

And one final note: I can't understand how anyone could not enjoy the film, that's just me. But I know that what moves some does nothing for others. But the backlash towards this film is not necessary. Not every film has to be Ramboesque. Not every film has to be filled with explosions. I am not opposed to those films, I actually love many of them, but I am also prone to well written stories, whether they are love stories or not. Those who criticize this film need to realize that there is a market for this. The gross for this film and the demographics it appealed to confirm that.

As for the comment made earlier about those of us that enjoyed it being teens and have never seen a film before 1990, well I am 27, my brother is 24, my mom is 50 something and my grandmother is in her 80's. And we all loved it. So keep that in mind. And a film does not gross 2 BILLION dollars by having only teens see it.

This is as good as a film gets!

One final note. The SE DVD finally came out and it was worth the wait. The transfer is beautiful and if you are like me and love DVD's so you can access the special features, then this disc is for you. The commentary alone by Cameron makes the disc worth spending your money on. Cameron doesn't do a lot of commentaries, but the ones he does are perhaps the most insightful commentaries out there. Titanic, he outdoes himself. I really recommend everyone who loves this film to get the SE DVD and just sti back for 3 hours and listen to what he has to say.

Nice post. What did you think of FG. I found it to be in the same league and it hit similar themes as titanic. Epic, rooting for the underdog, well appointed period piece, special effects, love story, bittersweet, tragic losses.  I found FG more entertaining  overall than titanic with a few good laughs mixed in and the 30 year storyline.  I believe they both struck the same chords as Dr Zhivago a top ten adjusted.

• Like 1

I have done research and can't find a single movie that decreased in weekdays after Christmas compared to weekdays before. Even bad movies increased or stayed even on the weekdays after Christmas. Can we be seeing another (40,38, 38,35) for the weekdays after Christmas? History suggests so

• Like 4