kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

2 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Indeed. But I think that record will last for a short while, because DORY and DESPICABLE ME 3 have a great chance at 1B WW too, so that will make it:

2 for Disney Animation

2 for Illumination

2 for Disney Pixar

Well, Disney Animation will remain to be the only one doing it with original films, not with sequels :P 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, peludo said:

Well, Disney Animation will remain to be the only one doing it with original films, not with sequels :P 

That's THE remarkable feat. It's not THAT difficult to find a franchise - Ice Age, Minions - that can connect with the audience (very compromising for the audience...).  Frozen is the biggest original (non-Cameron) film; the only other original film above the billion mark (unadjusted) is Jurassic Park, which got there thanks to a re-release. Reaching the billion is extremely difficult, and so far close to impossible, even for a 4-quadrant original picture.

If Pixar does the "double-win" with Finding Dory, it will have at least made it with 2 different franchises.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Purple Minion said:

ChinaBoxOffice: ZOOTOPIA earned est $1M on Fri, China's total is ¥1.469B ($227.2M), passes Ultron as Disney's biggest film in China.

Who would have thunk.

Literally no one. The Chinese release wasn't even certain until late January.

5 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

ChinaBoxOffice: ZOOTOPIA earned est $1M on Fri, China's total is ¥1.469B ($227.2M), passes Ultron as Disney's biggest film in China.

Who would have thunk.

I'd say Zootopia's performance in China is easily greater than Frozen's in Japan. Atleast Japan is among the, if not the very, leggiest market in the world. China is fucking worse than US and doesn't even let you run 2 months.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Infernus said:

I'd say Zootopia's performance in China is easily greater than Frozen's in Japan. Atleast Japan is among the, if not the very, leggiest market in the world. China is fucking worse than US and doesn't even let you run 2 months.

Absolutely no way imo. China is an expanding market which means that records are broken all the time. And movies being leggy in China in the same way as Zootopia is not that rare (just last year, we had Goodbye Mr. Looser and The Monkey King which both achieved 60x their ODs like Zoo). And I don't think that those movies can be considered "leggy" in the same way that movies are considered leggy in the US and Japan. In China, those movies increased because of WOM (duh) but most importantly because they were generally underestimated (their potential that is) in their first weekends and given too few screens. Zootopia increased by more than 100% in week 2 when its screen count and show times were more than doubled to meet demand and after that it mostly had good but not remarkable holds and is now doing less than $10 million after "only" six weeks. To me, that's the same as the Blair Witch project which was released in a few theaters first and then expanded nationwide leading to an increase proportional to its increase in showtimes. It's drops after that were pretty unremarkable so I can't really consider it leggy. That's in stark contrast, to an actually leggy movie like MBFGW which kept holding well irrespective of showtimes or whatever. The only movie that I consider "leggy" in China in the traditional sense is Avatar as it just kept chugging along even after reaching maximum screen capacity.

Japan on the other hand is a not only a mature market, but it's actually contracting (or at least, it's becoming less blockbuster-centric), especially for Hollywood movies. It was rather common in the 00s for a movie to make $100 million (or let's say ¥10 billion yen since ER make comparisons in US$ dollar innaccurate), with 2003 having up to 3(!) such megablockbusters. Today, it's actually reasonable to rejoice when a movie hits ¥5 billion. Making ¥25+ billion like Titanic or Spirited Away just looked unachievable. Even Miyazaki's last movie didn't come close. And Frozen's legs were out of this world even by Japan's standard (it actually held better than Spirited Away on weekends but lacked summer weekdays) grossing pretty the same amount every week for 10+ weeks and reaching a realm that we thought innaccessible in this day and age in Japan ( ¥25 billion bn)

I know it all comes down to opinions but I can't see how Zootopia's run in China is more impressive than Frozen's in Japan considering that we'll probably see a similar type of WOM hit in China within a year (like I said, last year had two such ~60x ODs grossers) while we might simply never see something like Frozen in Japan again.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cynosure said:

I agree with the above. Zootopia's run in China is certainly impressive but Frozen's run in Japan was not impressive, it was out of this world.

Wow that's massively massively downplaying Zootopia's performance. Zootopia's China run is not impressive. A run like San Andreas' or JW's in China is what I would call impressive. Zootopia's run was completely out of this world. A very meh-ly marketed foreign film of a genre that is not at all big ending up with the biggest multi ever in half the time of the few comparable local movies and grossing more than Avengers 2 (I am completely and very well aware of the expansion and this is a massive thing to happen even after factoring in that)  in a market where movies of that kind are the thing and in a market where you can completely collapse (and where this is much more common than getting even half the multi this got) is anything but just impressive. You may think that Japan run was better and I agree that it is arguable (even if I used easily in my previous comment) depending on what and how you see it but calling the China run just impressive would be the box office understatement of the year. It is every bit as out-of-the-world and definitely even more unexpected than Frozen's japan run.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 4

We should not compare Zootopia in China with Frozen in Japan. Those are very different markets. But IMHO Zootopia should have done maybe $500m in China to match what Frozen did in Japan. Zootopia's Chinese run is impressive? sure, A LOT. As impressive as Frozen in Japan? NO WAY. Just Titanic everywhere is a comparable run to Frozen in Japan.

• Like 1

Zootopia's run in China is impressive.  Frozen's run in Japan?  It was historic and a phenomenon.  Case closed. :D 

Honestly, comparing Zootopia's run in China to that of Frozen's in Japan is like comparing oranges to apples.  They're both fruits, but that's where the similarities end.  Zootopia will make about $232+ million in China which is MASSIVE for an animated feature and has broken many records: became the leggiest film of all time, had the biggest OD multiplier of any film released in China, became the first animated film to cross the $200 million or blockbuster threshold, and received one of the highest critical and audience scores of all time... THAT'S INSANE!  However, let me say this: Frozen's $250 million in Japan is equivalent to about $1.125 billion in the U.S... that alone makes any comparisons pale towards Frozen.  Don't get me wrong, Zootopia had one of the most phenomenal runs in China but I think this is just the beginning of a new era in which China begins to embrace animation and more leggy films will show up.  

Enough of my diatribe, let's just begin our daily prayers to the box office gods above for that $1 billion! :D 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 6