Plain Old Tele

Christmas Eve Awakens: SW 27.5-28.5m (Rth) So this is how Avatar dies, with thunderous applause

6 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

At what point does a strong domestic run put Avatar WW back into play?  I say $1.1B domestic. 

1.2B does but it also depends on China. If it does 300M there than Avatar WW is in play. 

I still don't understand what they were thinking moving Point Break to Christmas Day, of all weekends. This is the kind of movie that might've had an actual shot at doing moderate business in like August or September (at least if the budget wasn't so high), but a jam packed Christmas frame? Especially with no stars in the cast? They were asking for trouble. Again, shades of The Darkest Hour.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I got asked to see Point Break tonight... Decisions.... Decisions

Can you please see Star Wars instead? :kitschjob:

Just now, filmlover said:

I still don't understand what they were thinking moving Point Break to Christmas Day, of all weekends. This is the kind of movie that might've had an actual shot at doing moderate business in like August or September (at least if the budget wasn't so high), but a jam packed Christmas frame? Especially with no stars in the cast? They were asking for trouble. Again, shades of The Darkest Hour.

WB just wants to have the most 100M+ bombs in a year and take that record away from Universal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJ Ren said:

Can you please see Star Wars instead? :kitschjob:

WB just wants to have the most 100M+ bombs in a year and take that record away from Universal.

They have to be thrilled to see this year come to an end. So many people are either already out of a job or about to be.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It's been tracking with (or even surpassing) AVATAR's drops all week. Why would this day be an exception, especially since it was one of the biggest presale days (only below sneak previews and opening day).

36 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Sons and daughters of BOF! My brothers. My sisters.

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. 

A day may come when THE FORCE AWAKENS fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship... but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Skywalker comes crashing down, but it is not this day!

This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men (and Women) of the Box-Office!

Hidden Content

Same logic applies to post-holidays though.  Normal, even well received films don't hold this well during this time frame, it takes exceptional reception for it to happen.  In the last 10 years, I recall this happening twice before on a significant scale.  Avatar and Frozen.  We saw what happened with Avatar, Frozen was similar, just on a smaller scale (pulled an 11X multiplier from its pre-Christmas weekend).  Following the holidays, neither of them fell off beyond what would be expected with the end of the holidays.  

TFA arguably has better reception than either of them, and clearly has a much broader appeal.  I don't expect it to keep up with Avatar's pace, it's losing a noticeable amount on average every day; through Thursday its already down to 93.5% of Avatar's opening Friday multiplier (5.753 vs. 5.378) and it will continue to go down. But all it needs for $1B is 47.5%, $1.2B is 57.5%.  Perhaps it does go down that low but I'm doing mid-level projections and its still high 60s several weeks from now.

I think we're looking at quite a few of Avatar's weekend records going down even after the 3rd/4th weekends.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The friend who asked me to go probably wouldn't see Star Wars if his life depended on it :lol:

You have some really bad friends Ethan :kitschjob: 

Kill him. Show him the power of the Force. He is clearly too deep in the Dark Side to be saved. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The friend who asked me to go probably wouldn't see Star Wars if his life depended on it :lol:

Plus he's been super pumped for Point Break for like forever

You should get rid of him.  Nobody needs that kind of negativity in their life.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

lol Joy is rotten. Failed Oscar bait. 

Not really Oscar bait at all. It is great and a departure from a lot of narrative techniques. The critical backlash is totally unwarranted and only exists because of A. DOR fatigue and B. A flippant, fairytaleish plot with archetypal characters that is totally intentional but wrongly accused of being "messy."

It is great. 

Edited by TStechnij
  • Like 1