druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If TFA gets within 15m admissions of Titanic's first run, I honestly think it's every bit as impressive as Titanic's run given the two time frames. An argument could even be made for it being more impressive. 

JW & TA undercut this credibility IMO. They both were the catalysts for crazy expectations as much as anything. Disagree about it being more impressive than Titanic or even Avatar for that matter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

But again, imo, all of this is possible because of the lackluster prequels.

It also helps give TFA a more favorable point of comparison. Instead of a bunch of "Not as good as the originals" reactions, we're getting a ton of "Way better than the prequels" reactions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Don't you think that because the prequels were underwhelming, that created even more demand for this film?  Bear with me.

Several things had to happen to get the world's appetite for this movie to be insatiable.  George makes three films that made money but obviously not the kind of money they could have.  TPM was the only true massive film and that obviously had a lot to do with it being the first SW film in 16 years.  But then the entire series is under whelming to a lot of people.  So then George sells Lucasfilm to Disney and then they decide that the next series of films is going to have the old cast return.  These three things, imo, are what made SW so anticipated.  With the prequels disappointing so many this just made Disney be sure to make a film that all of the fans would enjoy.  And then they went out and got ballsy.  They hired JJ, an obvious Spielberg crony,  and we all know how close George and Steve are.  Then they decide that they are going to give us a story that has much closer ties to the originals.  Then they paid Ford between 20-23 million dollars to appear in the film and once the trailer broke with him and Chewy "being home" and the shots of the Falcon and so on, it was game on.  But imo, none of this is possible without the prequels being what they were.  They just created more demand for a better SW film.  And voila, this is the result.  They paid much more attention to what made the originals so endearing to the fans, and they capitalized on that.  But again, imo, all of this is possible because of the lackluster prequels.

All part of Lucas' master plan. :worthy:

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If TFA gets within 15m admissions of Titanic's first run, I honestly think it's every bit as impressive as Titanic's run given the two time frames. An argument could even be made for it being more impressive. 

A bait, just for more so called "downplaying" on TFA.:P

Anyway, you can't just consider the two time frames. It's pointless to make any comparison without considering the fanbase factor and I think it's not difficult to see that the fanbase is the biggest reason of TFA hitting 1BN.

11 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Titanic is in my top 20 films of all time, I love it.  But when it comes to the run it had, taking nothing away from it of course (you can't, it's fucking incredible) but it did come out in an entirely different era of box office.  SW coming close attendance wise is a miracle.

So much this. I started following box office not long before Titanic came out and it reall was something to behold.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

On one hand, as a Star Wars fan, Avatar 2 is the only movie I really fear right now in the distance. But on the other hand, just looking at the situation, I'm having trouble believing that Avatar 2 comes anywhere near Avatar in box office grosses. In fact I think it'll be a rather atypically large drop from 1 to 2. I don't see it getting an 80% 3D share. That boat has sailed. Most people I know either hate 3D or don't care at all about it. I'm one of the few people I know who is still, ever since Avatar (I owe it to that movie), very "rah rah 3D," in spite of the terrible conversions for a few movies. I still think that seeing a movie in 3D in the theaters, especially IMAX 3D, is a special experience and I'm willing to pay for it for the top 5-8 biggest blockbusters of the year. 

I just don't think most people share my enthusiasm, though, about 3D projection and 3D movies. That alone is going to mean a box office split closer to TFA as far as premium formats and 3D, if not lower. I'm being generous by saying closer to TFA because I think it'll be well below that given they have no franchise fans. There are people who like Avatar, but there aren't truly "Avatar fans" as such. Not a fan base, I mean. I think for the people who do love Avatar, they need to keep their expectations in check. A $500M grosser would be very good for Avatar 2 and very possible. That would be one of the biggest December hits of all time. Nothing at all wrong with that and it could then go on to make $1.75B or so worldwide. 

I just worry some people forget that sequels, in general, besides TFA, simply don't massively outperform a predecessor unless the original was a small cult hit (Austin Powers comes to mind, for instance, same with The Terminator). When the original is the highest grossing movie ever, expect a performance more like AOTC or ESB, where they are major blockbusters but not impressive compared to the first.

Speaking as a person who hates 3D and avoids it with all movies, I saw Avatar 3 times in 3D and will probably see Avatar 2 in 3D.   Something about it urges me to put on those stupid glasses.

16 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Don't you think that because the prequels were underwhelming, that created even more demand for this film?  Bear with me.

Several things had to happen to get the world's appetite for this movie to be insatiable.  George makes three films that made money but obviously not the kind of money they could have.  TPM was the only true massive film and that obviously had a lot to do with it being the first SW film in 16 years.  But then the entire series is under whelming to a lot of people.  So then George sells Lucasfilm to Disney and then they decide that the next series of films is going to have the old cast return.  These three things, imo, are what made SW so anticipated.  With the prequels disappointing so many this just made Disney be sure to make a film that all of the fans would enjoy.  And then they went out and got ballsy.  They hired JJ, an obvious Spielberg crony,  and we all know how close George and Steve are.  Then they decide that they are going to give us a story that has much closer ties to the originals.  Then they paid Ford between 20-23 million dollars to appear in the film and once the trailer broke with him and Chewy "being home" and the shots of the Falcon and so on, it was game on.  But imo, none of this is possible without the prequels being what they were.  They just created more demand for a better SW film.  And voila, this is the result.  They paid much more attention to what made the originals so endearing to the fans, and they capitalized on that.  But again, imo, all of this is possible because of the lackluster prequels.

Well said.   I agree.   I've felt that sentiment among friends too.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I completely agree! The fact that the prequels exist gives fans something to compare this new trilogy to. Something that wasn't made 30+ years ago! Most WOM includes something along the lines of "what the prequels should have been" . This is boosting it for sure. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

A bait, just for more so called "downplaying" on TFA.:P

Anyway, you can't just consider the two time frames. It's pointless to make any comparison without considering the fanbase factor and I think it's not difficult to see that the fanbase is the biggest reason of TFA hitting 1BN.

When SW hits the right notes most people become "fans" (at least temporarily).

That is...its pow-wah.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

JW & TA undercut this credibility IMO. They both were the catalysts for crazy expectations as much as anything. Disagree about it being more impressive than Titanic or even Avatar for that matter.

Avatar!?! You've got to be kidding right? It is another league than Avatar. It is going to eclipse that movie's admissions by at least 30m, and what's more than that it's doing it when streaming and giant screen HDTV home entertainment centers have been firmly established in American homes. While they were around for Avatar too, they definitely weren't as much the "norm" yet as this decade. Now tons of people are subscribed to monthly streaming services and don't mind waiting 6-7 weeks after a movie hits the theaters to watch it at home on a very nice sized screen with great sound. They don't have to pay $15 to buy just one movie and then watch it on a crappy screen with crappy quality, as in the days of Titanic. Which is why I said TFA's run is arguably even more impressive than Titanic if it hits the 110-115m admission range. People still had way more incentive to go to the theater in 1997 or even 2009 than today. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I think DOM SW7 and Avatar's boxoffice run are equally impressive (if SW7 hits 1BN). They both defied people's understanding on boxoffice of this era.

WW SW7 is not even close of cause.

• Like 1