druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

I would be curious if anyone has a list of movies with that similarly weird trend that Titanic managed to accomplish. 

The ones that come to mind are Home Alone, The Sixth Sense, and Avatar, in the modern era I mean. I'm sure it was very, very common before when movies played for 6 months that they'd make similar weekend totals if they were big blockbuster hits. I was just thinking in the post-1985 or 1990 box office, I had never seen anything like Titanic. I was too young when Home Alone came out to know anything about the box office. It was only recently I was looking back and in complete awe of that movie's run, too. Like highest weekend was its 8th or something? Very strange. 

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I don't love TITANIC quite as much as many here, but I like it quite a bit, and it was amazing to follow its box-office run... and thrilling, because for the first time in my life, a movie was breaking every box-office trend I knew about. As it stayed basically flat from weekend to weekend, I realized its end result was unquantifiable, because it's legs were so remarkable you couldn't easily pin a final number on it. 

I'm a huge Cameron fan too, so it was immensely satisfying to see it sweep the Oscars that year. 

Titanic's success is more unbelievable due to the fact it was written off as a flop due to its $200m budget. I imagine everyone was expecting Tomorrow Never Dies to be the winner of that Christmas. 

• Like 2

I know Baumer and others will probably give me a lecture, but its hard for me to appreciate Titantic pre-iceburg hit. That movie is just sooo longgg and its sooo much dialouge and fancy dinners and expostion of the ship.

But once they hit that iceberg, boy does that movie get going. The pre-iceberg scenes arent bad, just too wordy for my tastes, but overall still a great movie.

ps still cant believe they away with the full frontal. Cameron. His power.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Titanic's success is more unbelievable due to the fact it was written off as a flop due to its $200m budget. I imagine everyone was expecting Tomorrow Never Dies to be the winner of that Christmas. 

Plus it had been pushed back from a summer release. 

• Like 2

I wanna say the weather but looks like, as others said, it just couldn't keep following Avatar's drops (avatar dropped 14,2% 2nd Sunday from Saturday).

Looks like we're headed for -22%, around that. We'll see on Monday! It's still early though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Plus it had been pushed back from a summer release. 

Also, I believe they were just trying to salvage as much of the budget as they could.  It was already dubbed a disaster for the raising costs and pushing back the release date.  It was the most expensive movie ever made at the time. Many left it for dead, and then it absolutely took pop culture by storm when it was released.

• Like 1