druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

2 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Checked the China thread and pre-sales again. Not good. Could be low 100m.  Lose to T5 in China, OS to FF7 and fall short of Titanic WW.  Just can't win OS or WW w/o Asia theses days no matter how much Europe and domestic explodes.

I think the JC boys will be popping the cork like the Miami Dolphins do every time the last undefeated NFL team loses a game. 

If it does 100m in China, watch Episode 8 make like 450m there.  Has SW ever had a proper introduction in China?  ROTS was 2005 but back then China was a rather small market.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

If it does 100m in China, watch Episode 8 next one make 450m there.  Has SW ever had a proper introduction in China?  ROTS was 2005 but back then China was a rather small market.

Not a lot of awareness. The market was 1/10 the size in 2005. 

Regardless, titanic was unknown and did 145m and avatar did 200m.

Maybe JC has the magic touch.

1 minute ago, No Prisoners said:

Not a lot of awareness. The market was 1/10 the size in 2005. 

Regardless, titanic was unknown and did 145m and avatar did 200m.

Maybe JC has the magic touch.

Titanic's original run in China before the 2012 re-release was 43m.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Checked the China thread and pre-sales again. Not good. Could be low 100m.  Lose to T5 in China, OS to FF7 and fall short of Titanic WW.  Just can't win OS or WW w/o Asia theses days no matter how much Europe and domestic explodes.

I think the JC boys will be popping the cork like the Miami Dolphins do every time the last undefeated NFL team loses a game. 

It didn't really explode in Europe. France and Germany are the only two major non-English-speaking countries in the world that really exploded.

Edited by vc2002

40 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

It didn't really explode in Europe. France and Germany are the only two major non-English-speaking countries in the world that really exploded.

I can't wait until the run is over so I can see how it stacks up in my Billion Dollar earner breakdown spreadsheet.

4 hours ago, Telemachos said:

The LOTR movies were seen as one giant collective effort. Sure, GODFATHER III was nominated, but that had an incredible pedigree of acclaim before it -- far more than SW7 does. I'm not saying it doesn't have a chance -- I think it has a pretty decent chance, actually. But it's not a shoo-in, and the lack of a PGA nomination is a clear indicator of that (the PGA nominated both AVATAR and TREK in 2009).

My last word on this...

There are plenty of blockbuster/high profile films that had worse Metacritic scores than TFA that got nominated and even a few that won BP. I won't name them here since that would cause a whole new convo, but they know who they are. 

:ph34r:

As as far as the PGA, we're not talking about winning here, only being nominated, I'm sure the Academy doesn't just copy and paste the PGA list. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

My last word on this...

There are plenty of blockbuster/high profile films that had worse Metacritic scores than TFA that got nominated and even a few that won BP. I won't name them here since that would cause a whole new convo, but they know who they are. 

As as far as the PGA, we're not talking about winning here, only being nominated, I'm sure the Academy doesn't just copy and paste the PGA list. 

Wow, you are a moderator?? feels like decades ago when you were going crazy for spidey on BOM. 

Edited by boxofficefreak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Overall, though, it's much better paced than FURIOUS 7.

Action is one thing, but don't forget the other factor: the KFC factor. I'm sure thighs and breasts sell. 

I'm hearing average Indonesian moviegoers saying that Ip Man 3 is better than TFA. Much better action! Mike Tyson! I really lost hope with TFA in East Asia now, with the exception of Japan. At this point I have to faith in the market that gives Furious 7 $370m.

And to not be completely negative, yes nostalgia sells and there is definitely lack of nostalgia. Moviegoers here has no memory of watching the original Star Wars in theaters, and not even in 1980s in any format. The memory they have is the prequel trilogy, and I do encounter people who is unwilling to watch TFA because the prequels were meh.

• Like 1

I saw two movies today that shocks me in terms of how good they were. As I mentioned earlier I saw Brooklyn in the afternoon and that was quite amazing. But then I saw the sisters tonight with a girlfriend of mine and it was literally funny from start to finish. They just let everyone cut loose in this movie and kept the cameras rolling. The sold-out audience, mostly women, 8 this up as well. I completely understand why the word of mouth is so good on this now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

depends on what POV you have as a starting point IMHO

For me it starts with to not ignore the difficult points:

sceptics, areas got different advertising, partly non-GA conventions, not all speak English good enough to follow such kind of info (especially older audience) out of the US/UK/..., translations, vs. local movies, in some regions the cinema situation is not good till exceptional bad, not ideal for the region release dates, had different awareness to begin with, exchange rates....

If you look into the last instalment people got outside the US (not every country got e.g. the cartoons) = SW 3

I know a lot do not agree, but IMHO the last one is for a lot of ppl the one that influences ppl to get interest or not.

SW 3 you'll see some pretty small results per country beside the English speaking countries, Japan $82.6m, France $56.8m, Germany $47.3m, Spain $23.78m, Mexico $15.2m, Italy $11.3m, and SK $10,3m the best ones, all other non-English speaking countries under $10m.

The more earning SW 1 had a considerable higher result in Japan, but the rest also not that big of earners per non-english speaking country, but that one is even farer in the past.

It's 10 years later, in some markets cinema exploded, in some it decreased (especially in Europe), in some local movies bloom, exchange rates went bad in many countries, inflation differs too,... it's not directly comparable IMHO, but as far as I've seen it made up in more than only Germany and France for the bad exchange rate, inflation and some

In Italy a local movie just broke all all-time records, in SK 1 day before SW 7 opened a local blockbuster opened, Japan is too early to tell (but increased last weekend to the actual one, but bad currency), but the last years a non-animated Hollywood-film had seldom a chance for high earnings, the market there and elsewhere changed quite some bit. For that it makes excellent money there.

I follow this run because I think it's fascinating, I love each cent any movie earns as it strengthens IMHO the complete cinema business. I like/love Cameron's work too and do not understand why people wish this one to literally bomb e.g. in China for some records = probably one of the main reasons I add so intensely my 2ct.

I also do not understand why people think one trumps in quality or ... the other, especially with normal people,... only based on money made or tickets sold or...

And I think people have to rethink especially about Asian markets only waiting for US... movies, and to stop to wave away the Asian audience as 'they watch all',... but that's something I say here since ~ 2 years, so there nothing new.

About China, according to BOM:
SW 1 = $4.1m / SW 2 = $5.48m / SW 3 = $9.12m

The old ones got screened at the Shanghai film festival in summer 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3126784/A-long-time-country-far-far-away-China-shows-Star-Wars-cinemas-time-nearly-four-decades-rest-world.html

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I saw two movies today that shocks me in terms of how good they were. As I mentioned earlier I saw Brooklyn in the afternoon and that was quite amazing. But then I saw the sisters tonight with a girlfriend of mine and it was literally funny from start to finish. They just let everyone cut loose in this movie and kept the cameras rolling. The sold-out audience, mostly women, 8 this up as well. I completely understand why the word of mouth is so good on this now.

Might be an understatement.  It's already sitting at a 4.6 multiplier and has quite a ways to go - looking at an ~8M weekend at least given the Monday number.  It could top x10 by the end of its run.

Haha I think expectations matter a lot to each individual frame of reference.

The JC fans can celebrate all they want, I've never had any interest in the worldwide box office, just North America. The rest is a curiosity and I care about what I call "Star Wars countries" and those are Japan, UK, and Australia. It will win the UK too. It's an English movie and made in the US / UK so I don't mind if those are the only countries it's the all time champ. 

My champagne (Roededer) and Cuban are ready for tomorrow and I'll be celebrating the victory over Avatar. Got Star Wars cookies too and my girlfriend and I will watch ANH while I toast my champagne to the first sequel ever to hold the vaunted domestic title. I am also seeing TFA for the 12th time earlier in the day with my sister.

1 hour ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

My last word on this...

Yes except if Star Wars were to get anything then it would be PGA since PGA doesn't use a ranked ballot for nominations, they still use the old-style list five movies rather than what the academy does with the ranked list. This makes it easier for movies like TFA, Sicario, Martian, etc. that are generally liked but don't have an especially strong number 1 or 2 vote preference to get in at PGA. Whereas with the academy films like Room or Carol with more passionate support amongst a smaller group of people have a better chance vs. PGA. 

Only for voting for winners do PGA and the Academy use the same voting system. 

• Like 1