druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

1 hour ago, RogueLeader said:

They need to start prepping the friggin "Special Edition". This movie is going to be so close to 1 billion, all it needs is that extra little oomph to get it there.

I really hope Disney "re-releases" (aka limited expansion) it on the same weekend as BvS. Would be hilarious.

• Like 4

I know it's all semantics at this point but TFA is going to finish as the  number one film domestically by a landslide and it's going to be number two or three WW when all is said and done.  It's a monster hit so whether it passes Titanic or not, it's a run that we might not see for quite sometime.  I love Titanic, one of my all time faves, but I'd love to see TFA take the number two spot.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Regardless of who they belong to, any time any one of us needs info on a film, we all go to Mojo.

Am I to be called a BO nut (or insane) :circles: ... if I tell my main browser is set up to start up with:

a twitter ~ hub I created for ww BO, The-Numbers (3 pages), BO.com (2 pages), BOM (2 pages), search-machine prepared to show the latest BO news, a few OS BO reporting sites..... :excited:

Only for a fast glance, :hellothere: before even starting to work or read (both at home, not doing that at the school, bad example for the pupils...) .

Edited by terrestrial
typo
  • Like 1

Titanic was the last true four quadrant movie, the last remnant of old Hollywood using the tools & genius of one mad canadian.

It was the movie David Lean would have made if he was alive in 1997.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Titanic was the last true four quadrant movie, the last remnant of old Hollywood using the tools & genius of one mad canadian.

It was the movie David Lean would have made if he was alive in 1997.

As comparison remarks like that are to be taken to the extra created thread for those... not actual BO related statements... known to provoke lengthy bickering's... (and even explicit got forbidden...)  :ban: (= only a hint what can happen)

Edited by terrestrial

30 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I know it's all semantics at this point but TFA is going to finish as the  number one film domestically by a landslide and it's going to be number two or three WW when all is said and done.  It's a monster hit so whether it passes Titanic or not, it's a run that we might not see for quite sometime.  I love Titanic, one of my all time faves, but I'd love to see TFA take the number two spot.

I'd rather see JC keep the one-two spots. He is, after all, the king of the world.

Btw, does anyone have any idea what Titanic's WW adjusts to?

2 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I'd rather see JC keep the one-two spots. He is, after all, the king of the world.

4 B WW would be my guess if you take into account everything, 3D, I max, new OS markets & a BIG China number, they worship Cameron over there.

Just now, The Stingray said:

Its WW adjusted has to be the biggest of alltime.

Titanic has sold more tickets than Avatar, there's no doubt about that.  It was a such a fun run to track.  

Here's a bit from Guru when Titanic hit 600 mill.  It's a nice poignant piece and it kind of encapsulates what we all felt while following this films run.

Friday, August 28, 1998 - 3:20PM EDT

Near, far, wherever you are, chances are you have seen the box office behemoth Titanic at least once. On Thursday, August 27th, in its 252nd day of release, Titanic crossed the unbelievable mark of $600 million in domestic ticket sales. It took a full 36 weeks for the James Cameron action-romance to reach the never-before-reached box office level and Paramount Pictures, the film's domestic distributor, could not be happier.

Hitting $600 million caps off a historic run at the box office which nobody could have imagined. After opening at number one with $28.6M in December, Titanic amassed its first $100 million in just 12 days. One by one it leapt over each hurdle reaching its last milestone, the $500 million mark, while still at the top of the charts on March 26, its 98th day of release. Fueled by strong reviews, a beloved story, amazing action sequences, romantic music, hot young stars, eleven Oscars, and four Golden Globe Awards,Titanic destroyed everything in its path by spending a record 15 consecutive weekends at number one. In addition, the ocean disaster film spent a total of 20 weekends in the top five and 26 (half a year) in the top ten.

But Titanic was not satisfied with just box office records. The Oscar-winning soundtrack, with original music from composer James Horner, was a giant too. It spent 16 straight weeks as the best-selling album in the country and has reportedly shipped 25 million units around the world. This week, the motion picture's second soundtrack album, Back to Titanic, hit stores and should do brisk business as well.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/titanic600.shtml

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Titanic has sold more tickets than Avatar, there's no doubt about that.  It was a such a fun run to track.  

Here's a bit from Guru when Titanic hit 600 mill.  It's a nice poignant piece and it kind of encapsulates what we all felt while following this films run.

Near, far, wherever you are, chances are you have seen the box office behemoth Titanic at least once. On Thursday, August 27th, in its 252nd day of release, Titanic crossed the unbelievable mark of $600 million in domestic ticket sales. It took a full 36 weeks for the James Cameron action-romance to reach the never-before-reached box office level and Paramount Pictures, the film's domestic distributor, could not be happier.

Hitting $600 million caps off a historic run at the box office which nobody could have imagined. After opening at number one with $28.6M in December, Titanic amassed its first $100 million in just 12 days. One by one it leapt over each hurdle reaching its last milestone, the $500 million mark, while still at the top of the charts on March 26, its 98th day of release. Fueled by strong reviews, a beloved story, amazing action sequences, romantic music, hot young stars, eleven Oscars, and four Golden Globe Awards,Titanic destroyed everything in its path by spending a record 15 consecutive weekends at number one. In addition, the ocean disaster film spent a total of 20 weekends in the top five and 26 (half a year) in the top ten.

But Titanic was not satisfied with just box office records. The Oscar-winning soundtrack, with original music from composer James Horner, was a giant too. It spent 16 straight weeks as the best-selling album in the country and has reportedly shipped 25 million units around the world. This week, the motion picture's second soundtrack album, Back to Titanic, hit stores and should do brisk business as well.

Truly a legend and wow never knew the soundtrack did that!

Also to note 'My Heart Will Go On' helped propel Celine's album with it on to incredible sales worldwide. 

That was probably the biggest song from a movie before Let It Go ...and I still love the song :P 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

It makes me sad that we'll probably never see a run like this again. I was only five when it came out, so I never got to experience this. :(

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

same here!!!!! titanic is my all-time favourite,a truly epic classic romance saga, but i'm ok with anything else to take over its spot, as long as it's truly remarkable in term of quality~

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

TFA missing 1B dom will be the end of many in here it seems.

Stay Strong Everybody.

:o don't do it guys!

Instead of overtaking Avatar's Domestic total (2 of 60 countries) it got overtaken for the first time by Avatar in daily income.

8 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

It makes me sad that we'll probably never see a run like this again. I was only five when it came out, so I never got to experience this. :(

You can join us in 1997.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I'm not saying it is accurate and the Wiki Article attempts to explain, I think it is off- but his chart according Guinness World Records:

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation[28][29]
Rank Title Worldwide gross
(2014 $)
Year
1 Gone with the Wind $3,440,000,000 1939
2 Avatar $3,020,000,000 2009
3 Star Wars $2,825,000,000 1977
4 Titanic T$2,516,000,000 1997
5 The Sound of Music $2,366,000,000 1965
6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,310,000,000 1982
7 The Ten Commandments $2,187,000,000 1956
8 Doctor Zhivago $2,073,000,000 1965
9 Jaws $2,027,000,000 1975

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs S$1,819,000,000

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

:o don't do it guys!

Instead of overtaking Avatar's Domestic total (2 of 60 countries) it got overtaken for the first time by Avatar in daily income.

Well you should wait for actuals before saying anything. Avatar made $8,094,554 on the same monday and we have a 8M estimation... You're a little fast to pull the trigger...

And also we all know that Avatar's dailys will pass TFA at some point, simply because Avatar only grossed 360,209,452 $ at day 17 when TFA grossed 742,208,942 $ in the same amount of time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

I'm not saying it is accurate and the Wiki Article attempts to explain, I think it is off- but his chart according Guinness World Records:

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation[28][29]
Rank Title Worldwide gross
(2014 $)
Year
1 Gone with the Wind $3,440,000,000 1939
2 Avatar $3,020,000,000 2009
3 Star Wars $2,825,000,000 1977
4 Titanic T$2,516,000,000 1997
5 The Sound of Music $2,366,000,000 1965
6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,310,000,000 1982
7 The Ten Commandments $2,187,000,000 1956
8 Doctor Zhivago $2,073,000,000 1965
9 Jaws $2,027,000,000 1975

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs S$1,819,000,000

Doesnt make sense. How the heck could Titanic adjusted be lower than Avatar.

Titanic should be No.1. Check the DOM adjusted list on BOM. Titanic is the only one in top10 that made more OS than DOM. And not only did it made more, it made fvcking twice as much from OS. I know OS is of cause a mess when it comes to inflation stuff, but that TWICE AS MUCH should be enough to eliminate any doubt.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1