WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

4 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Why?? STAR WARS has been #1 for 3 weeks.. Let another movie take the top spot.. STAR WARS has nothing left to prove...

But but.. that drop... It was going so beautifully. I kind of feeling like most people who wanted to see it, saw it's during the holidays multiple times and had thier fill as much as I hate to say it, I saw it four times from Dec-18th to Jan 4th and I kinda feel like I had my fill, and probably won't see it again until blu-ray. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I truely hope that wasn't earnestly meant....

It was. I understand the circumstances, but when you think of a movie making 900 MILLION, you'd expect it to do a little more steamrolling and be the king a little longer.

Not a big deal, just pretty shocking, but 3 weeks in 2016 is like 6 in 2006 so.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Doesn't The Devil Inside end in the middle of an important scene and follows it with a description telling people to go to a website to find out more? LOL you can't blame the audience for feeling cheated like that.

Yes, after a car crash I believe. It is hilarious. The movie ends a bit after the 60 minutes mark and then the credits are the slowest ending credits you will ever see. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Clever viral marketing targeting its core teen demo and the height of the supernatural horror craze. 

Plus that super effective and fantastic trailer being attached to every copy of Paranormal Activity 3, a movie that opened with 50M OW?

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The new masterpiece from God Bay is opening next weekend, what we're expecting? $35m?$40m? 

I was in that train until I saw the TC estimate (just 2300, which is really low, and points towards Paramount dumping the movie). 

• Like 1

Watching CA:WS. Great movie, great script, great action...for the most part. Can't tolerate so many shooters with machine guns shooting straight at his shield while the legs are exposed and unharmed and he is running towards them. Such stuff happens in every Bond movie, FF movies, etc. but here it's a bit glaring, probably because the movie is otherwise smart and forces the audience to think more.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Unfriended also had a viral marketing and look what happened 

Not nearly as good and appealing as the one of The Devil Inside. I remember the trailer passing here in front of our PA3 show and my friends went nuts. The movie looked really good and the crowd reaction was great. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Sisters has had a monster run.  Will clear 75M by Sunday/Monday and 85M next Monday.  100M+ total off a 12M OW.

It won't reach 100M, IMO. It will end with 90-95M. 

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Watching CA:WS. Great movie, great script, great action...for the most part. Can't tolerate so many shooters with machine guns shooting straight at his shield while the legs are exposed and unharmed and he is running towards them. Such stuff happens in every Bond movie, FF movies, etc. but here it's a bit glaring.

I loved WS, but I agree, in some scenes it's almost like they are aiming for the shield. :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Haven't seen MJ2 but have seen the 1st 3 HGs. This century is still short but the franchise is one of the better ones.

haha, I'm glad that you enjoy that franchise! Well, if you enjoyed Part 1, you probably will love Part 2, since it is so depressive as the first part, but just don't watch this movie expecting an epic war movie, full of action, because you won't get this 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Not nearly as good and appealing as the one of The Devil Inside. I remember the trailer passing here in front of our PA3 show and my friends went nuts. The movie looked really good and the crowd reaction was great. 

The Devil Inside had A+ marketing. All the scares are in the trailer though, the movie is slow as hell with maybe one scare every 20 minutes. It doesn't even follow the "found footage" rules correctly with cameras magically appearing everywhere.

The funnier part apart from the ending is that this nun featured prominently on the poster

devil-inside-movie-poster-01.jpg

appears in the movie for 1 second, just enough to give this pose.

• Like 2

When youre on your way to making 900 million domestic....does it really matter how many weeks u spend at number one?

And dont hand Revenant this weekend just yet. I think SW will take it.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Denzel is just as impressive as Leo, maybe more so because he literally makes generic looking crap do well. Leo at least is usually in appealing and/or award buzzed movies. 

Domestically maybe. Overseas Denzel has zero drawing power

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baumer said:

No offense Cjohn, but I get annoyed with comments like this, not just from you, obviously, but this happens with so many posters.  Before the film came out, no one said shit about this kind of thing.  Now that it is under performing, everyone has reasons why.  Where were these reasons before it came out?

Some films work, some don't.  There isn't always blame to go around.  I don't think this release strategy was bad or the marketing was poor.  Maybe the story just didn't appeal to people.  Maybe the actors didn't appeal to people this time around.  Basterds had Pitt, Django had Dicaprio, two of the biggest movies stars in the world.  Hateful 8 didn't really have anyone really bankable except Tarantino.

In fact, you take out Basterds and Django, and his last four films averaged exactly 50 million.  So maybe the lesson here is that Tarantino has a following, but it's more niche than anything else.  In order for his films to really exceed, you need a big name.  Maybe next film he should get Denzel and Christoph Waltz to do the film together.

I'd argue that there are no directors who are really draws, especially these days, and everyone one of them is nitched in some ways. It's all about concept, cast, execution, and marketing.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis