Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

Just now, riczhang said:

Winning is different from getting nommed though. No BP winner has ever failed to get nommed for Best Editing until Birdman last year. But that was an exception, especially considering the movie itself and how it was edited. Loads of BP winners have failed to win editing though. 

that's not what he asked.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

LOL second year in a row without any black acting nominees. Chris Rock will have a field day with this during the show.

Ya except last year I think there were a few black contenders that got snubbed. This year there really weren't black contenders unless you consider Elba in a film no one saw that was too hard to stomach distributed by Netflix. 

• Like 2

Just now, riczhang said:

Ya except last year I think there were a few black contenders that got snubbed. This year there really weren't black contenders unless you consider Elba in a film no one saw that was too hard to stomach distributed by Netflix. 

True.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

It becomes a farce when they nominate people for being nonwhite instead of nominating the best performers.

Right, because it's just a coincidence that NONE of the 40 best performances of the past two years were non-white people. Of course. 

• Like 2

Kind of surprised The Walk got snubbed for VFX, the movie was pretty much a showcase for the VFX studio and Sony seemed to be pushing it hard in that category as well. Zemeckis is also a favorite of the VFX branch, guess the low box office meant not a lot of people actually watched the movie in the end.

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

J-Law was the most beloved person in Hollywood 2 years ago and now she is a punching bag. I guess she got too popular for too long for the internet's tastes. If Daisy Ridley has a successful career outside of SW, I fully expect the same to happen to her.

I still can't believe how someone can hate her.

• Like 2

My results:

Picture: 6/8 

Director: 4/5 

Actor: 4/5 

Actress: 4/5 

Supporting Actor: 3/5 

Supporting Actress: 4/5

Original Screenplay: 4/5 

Adapted Screenplay: 4/5 

Animated: 3/5

Cinematography: 5/5