Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nomination count:

11: The Revenant (Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Cinematography, Editing, Costumes, VFX, Makeup, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing)

10: Mad Max (Picture, Director, Editing, Cinematography, Production Design, Costume Design, Makeup, VFX, Sound Editing and Mixing)

7: The Martian (Picture, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Production Design, VFX, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing), Spotlight (Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Editing)

6: Bridge of Spies (Picture, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Production Design, Score, Sound Mixing)

5: The Big Short (Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Editing) Carol (Actress, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Costume Design), Star Wars (Score, Editing, VFX, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing)

4: Room (Picture, Director, Actress, Adapted Screenplay)

3: Brooklyn (Picture, Actress, Adapted Screenplay), Sicario (Cinematography, Score, Sound Editing)

revenant got 12. u missed production design.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

zero surprises tbh. eh. i kept saying ridley wasn't gonna be nominated for ages but I put him in at the last minute. shit.

Abrahamson for Best Director for Room is a pretty huge surprise for me! Nobody was predicting him to get a best director nod. Even if one of the five from the DGA were getting "knocked out" so to speak, nobody saw this - predictions were Spielberg or Todd Haynes to sneak in.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

TBATB disappointment aside, I think it's a good set of BP noms. I've seen them all except Brooklyn and the only ones I was 'eh' on were Room and The Revenant. Would've liked to have seen Inside Out or Star Wars up there but I think we all knew they were long shots.

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Abrahamson for Best Director for Room is a pretty huge surprise for me! Nobody was predicting him to get a best director nod. Even if one of the five from the DGA were getting "knocked out" so to speak, nobody saw this - predictions were Spielberg or Todd Haynes to sneak in.

Peace,

Mike

Yeah I was totally thinking McCarthy could get snubbed, but Abrahamson would have been like 5th on the list to replace him