Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

18 hours ago, The Panda said:

It'll reach 800m likely.  Big Short will leg well and Revenant has a long run ahead of it.  Plus some minor expansions for the rest (including Room)

Sure! But my bold prediction was that the average of over 100M/each before Oscars nominations...

Anyways, a popular bunch of nominees this year. Ratings will be great for the ceremony

16 hours ago, Baumer said:

While I agree that Creed deserved much more, the academy has ignored Rocky since the first one.  So I'm not sure its a race thing.  As for Compton, it was good, no doubt, but not best picture worth imo.

I'm just thrilled that Stallone got in.

Can you really blame them?

15 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Before Pulp Fiction he was absolutely electrifying in Jungle Fever. 

1iifkw.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

Can you really blame them?

1iifkw.jpg

Yes.  Rocky II and especially Rocky Balboa should have been nominated.  Rocky Balboa was certainly one of the 5 best pictures in 2006.

• Like 1

I believe it will be between Revenant and Spotlight for picture.

Based off of how Oscar wins go-Mad Max is highly unlikely for BP as it is missing in acting and screenplay, the last film to win without that combo was Grand Hotel (aka the only BP winner with no other nominations and one of only 3 to just win with only 1 win! This was brought up to why Avatar wouldn't win)

I have Revenant for picture, but don't know about director now. Only 2 people have won back to back director wins.

I really have no clue who will win director now.

I'll do the Oscar win game later though.

For the techs right now I have:
Cinematography-Hateful 8 (or Revenant-though no person has ever won 3 in a row)

Editing-Mad Max

Production design-Revenant

Costumes-Cinderella

Makeup-Mad Max

Sound-The Martian

Sound Editing-The Martian

Visuals-Ex Machina, kidding, Star Wars.

Just now, filmlover said:

I don't think The Big Short is as strong as people think it is. More likely to win nothing than to take home Best Picture.

The only cat I think it has a chance in winning is screenplay, the only other film that could win that is The Martian, can't see Brooklyn or Room winning, same with Carol.

9 minutes ago, Impact said:

The only cat I think it has a chance in winning is screenplay, the only other film that could win that is The Martian, can't see Brooklyn or Room winning, same with Carol.

Room could totally win if they really are nuts about it. It's already probably locked for at least one award (Larson).