terrestrial

Wednesday's (13. January) Revenant 3.79 | SW7 3.11 | DH 856k | Big Short 645k | Sisters 630k | H8 627k | Forest 573k | Joy 523.7k | Conc.282.7k | Alvin 211k

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The Purge hit 34m with it, Ride Along did 41.5m with a few hundred more, Lion King 3D release hit 30m with that theater count, 8 Mile did 51.2m with it (in 2002), Coach Carter did 24m with a little more, Bourne Identity did 27m, Mama did 28m, etc.

There isn't a heavy precedent for it, but quite a few films manage it. 

Ride Along did it in 2750 theaters, not 2390 theaters. There is a difference. The Purge did it in 2530 theaters. 

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Ride Along did it in 2750 theaters, not 2390 theaters. There is a difference. The Purge did it in 2530 theaters. 

Ride Along was a few hundred more, and Purge was about a hundred more.  That's not going to stop it from hitting the mid twenty - thirty range, if it was going to before.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Still think mid-high 20's is where 13 Hours lands. Is Ride Along 2 taking up any PLF screens by you guys? The ETX at Disney Springs is getting it.

Most of the large screens around me are replacing Star Wars with The Revenant.

The Wrap has an article I missed, the rest seems all about setails already known, numbers up to Tuesday's actuals

Who’s Driving ‘Star Wars’ Box Office Records? Repeat Viewers

An eye-popping 61 percent of third-weekend audiences had seen the blockbuster at least once before, and 23 percent had seen it two or more times, according to exit polling conducted by Disney over the weekend of Jan. 1-3.

http://www.thewrap.com/whos-driving-star-wars-box-office-records-repeat-viewers/

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

The Wrap has an article I missed, the rest seems all about setails already known, numbers up to Tuesday's actuals

http://www.thewrap.com/whos-driving-star-wars-box-office-records-repeat-viewers/

61% that's insane. I have to wonder. If the box office is so larger due to repeat viewers,  did more people actually see avatar? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the money first but when referring to a cultural impact on a population, the number of people viewing is important.

Did 70m people see avatar and 5m tickets were repeat viewers?

Will 65m people see SW7 and the additional 30m tickets be repeaters?

Hmm, hard to prove but that would be a win for avatar.

11 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

61% that's insane. I have to wonder. If the box office is so larger due to repeat viewers,  did more people actually see avatar? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the money first but when referring to a cultural impact on a population, the number of people viewing is important.

Did 70m people see avatar and 5m tickets were repeat viewers?

Will 65m people see SW7 and the additional 30m tickets be repeaters?

Hmm, hard to prove but that would be a win for avatar.

Avatar got a ton of repeat business. So did Titanic. So did ANH. So, generally, did every single film that's among the biggest of all time. Or the biggest in any given year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Yes.. More people saw AVATAR over and over cause of the 3D..

I doubt 61% 2 times  23% 3 or more times

I've never seen a movie twice in the theaters, don't know of anyone that does. I didn't realize it could be so many.

I saw it 3 times.

My father is going to see it next Sunday with my brother.

He hasn't gone to the cinema without my mom since Fellowship of the Ring in 2001.

If you wanna how this movie can hit top 10 adjusted, it's probably because it drew people like my dad into theaters for the first time since ever.

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

"A whopping 61 percent of the third-week audience had seen “The Force Awakens” before, and 23 percent had seen it twice or more"

SW7 already made 651m before the 3rd wknd. It sold a lot more tickets in the first 14 days than any other films in the history, so it's easy to see the following wknds will have a higher percentage of repeat viewers. But these 61 percent and 23 percent numbers seem to be out of nowhere. The ariticle didnt say where and how they got these numbers. Not worth trusting.

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I don't buy this crap.

Sounds like a load of bull!

Must be putting this out there in an effort to friggin drive more people back to see the movie. I know plenty of people who've seen TFA. Most have only seen it once.

They claimed the same type of crap when Phantom Menace came out. It wasn't true there, either.

At some of my screenings it has been obvious that a lot of people there have already seen it lol. But those numbers are insane! I can't quite believe that applies to the entire country. But still crazy.

In my city - Portland, OR - we have zero IMAX screens that went to Revenant. Thank god. But the Regal RPX went to Revenant completely as of Friday. Bummer. It was neat seeing it there once but I wouldn't have went back, too far from me, and nearly as much as IMAX.

it really annoys me that IMAX is $18 in my city and its all LieMax nothing is as grand as a true IMAX screen. I saw it at the Chinese Monday and it was so ridiculously amazing and cost $19.95. My theater should be charging $14 tops.

PS: Just because you never see a movie twice in theaters doesn't mean that's the norm. I have many friends who aren't even Star Wars fans who have seen TFA twice. I've seen many movies twice or even three times in theaters. Star Wars is the only movies I see 20+ times each 

I've never seen a movie more than twice in theaters.... Until SW.   Saw it 6 times!  Each time was with a different group of friends or family members. One time was a work party I was paid to be at... I didn't go out of my way to see it 6 times, the opportunity simply arose 6 times... And I took each opportunity.   

Most at of my friends have seen it at least twice. 

Any movie that's at 800M in 4 weeks is getting repeat business. No use in arguing otherwise. 

• Like 3

Haha yeah no question about that. But every Star Wars movie has had huge repeat business, and that doesn't launch it to 90 million tickets or more. Everyone on the Star Wars forums saw every SW film many times. I mean, sure, there are the more casual posters who see it 2-3 times, but it's unusual for a die-hard fan not to see a new SW movie 5 times or so.

What drives any #1 film of all time is a vast segment of the population who rarely goes to see movies seeing it, AND all, literally almost all, of the regular moviegoers. People like me who see 50 movies per year in theaters don't miss a movie like TFA. Fair to say 99.9% of such moviegoers have seen or will see TFA. Then you have the people who never go to theaters for movies, and they've seen it, too. My girlfriend's grandparents, one of whom is almost completely disabled (she has advanced Parkinson's, so it's very tough for her to get around, and she can't walk, so it's a wheelchair), went to see TFA and the last movie they saw in theaters was *drum roll* Avatar! I guess they just see the biggest hits ever lol. They saw TFA in 3D even.

My girlfriend's godfather and his wife are also seeing it. Last we heard, they were planning to, but hadn't yet, and that was Week 2 or so. He's 86 years old. They never see movies anymore, either. That's how you get to #1. Otherwise, you end up at best where Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Avengers 2 landed, somewhere in the $400M range. VERY good grosses, but not #1 all time phenomenon level. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Well if you feel it's a load of bull, then what's driving the numbers for this movie then??? What else could it be???

Nostalgia sold this movie.. How many times must this be beaten into the ground and why people feel offended by this instead of seeing if like a traditional movie for the Plot and characters is astounding, but whatever..

4 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Already told it repeatedly: me = in Real Life 'only' 2-D sighted, means including whilst driving the car, cooking (= the inability to see things in three dimensions)

= no depth view, but based on the reason for it, one of the rather big part out of us 2-Dimensional sighted, where Avatar works, if watched under the right conditions (for me: works in a good quality cinema, but not with the cheaper projectors or on a monitor/TV)

Before Avatar got out, it was believed 'we' are 3-4% of the world's population, since Avatar = 15%

So I had quiet a shock (positive) whilst sitting in it and ~ 15 minutes in... WTF is THAT? Since then I know how all you 'normal' ppl even see in day-to-day life (to a degree)

Watched Avatar 9 times for that, 'lugged' several ppl I know who do not watch sci-fi into the cinema to be able to discuss with them how they see in RL (I really mean it that way, it's NOT about how they see 3D in a cinema), to find a definition how to explain how I see the world, it's quiet fascinating, especially as so many in my family and there friends are artists.

I'm told the most pp would start to loose their 3-D viewing-ability in steps after having to cover up an eye for at least 3 days (like after a surgery), but get it back when both eyes work again properly.

A bit like if a fully color-blind person would see for the first time colors...

I know for sure I am not the only one (including at least one member here who too has problems similar to mine for other reasons). And via a big discussion / ~ call for reactions at another board at the time of Avatar's release: a LOT of ppl where 'shocked' like me and too repeat watched it a lot...

No other movie I've seen till today was able to give me a repeat of this experience, a hint at it during a few scenes in very few movies is the best I got.

I want to watch SW7 a second time, the first time I saw it in the original language and I didn't understand all actors fully = next time I want to watch it in my native language, ... but when I do not know, not enough time in one row for that.

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

The ariticle didnt say where and how they got these numbers. Not worth trusting.

....according to exit polling conducted by Disney over the weekend of Jan. 1-3.

With that Wednesday number and a probable solid Thursday (due to 5 Oscars nominations and due to the vicinity of an extended MLK ahead), I can't see TFA grossing less than 25M over the three day weekend. And that being really conservative.

+6M for Friday seems practically assured at this point

6M / 10.5M / 9M / 7M

32.5M over the 4day / 858M and counting.

BO.com prediction looks really accurate.

On the other hand, the drop for Revenant is also quite impressing. Thursday gross will be awesome, heading to +35M 4day.

7.5M Friday

12M Saturday

9.5M Sunday

6.5M Monday

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

PS: Just because you never see a movie twice in theaters doesn't mean that's the norm. I have many friends who aren't even Star Wars fans who have seen TFA twice. I've seen many movies twice or even three times in theaters. Star Wars is the only movies I see 20+ times each 

A majority of people dont which makes it the norm.