Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

Just now, cannastop said:

Before November 8:

"La La Land is the perfect escape from this shitty election season!"

Now that Trump is President-Elect:

"La La Land is the fantasy we need from a Trump America!"

If Hillary Clinton won:

"What better way to celebrate the vanquishing of Donald Trump than by watching La La Land?"

??????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stripe said:

12 days to know NBR winners and top10. Guesses? Are they going to be as surprising as recent years? What will be the surprises?

I am feeling a rise for Live by night and HR inside top10.

Sully is locked to show up (maybe even win Best Movie) given their hard-ons for Eastwood and WB.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Are you sure? I don't get the sense that people think Sully is a must-see.

Look up their past winners since the turn of the century. They are WB and Eastwood's bitch (how else does one explain why Fury, which had son Scott in it, won Best Ensemble two years ago). Sully ain't missing, period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Board_of_Review

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Look up their past winners since the turn of the century. They are WB and Eastwood's bitch (how else does one explain why Fury, which had son Scott in it, won Best Ensemble two years ago). Sully ain't missing, period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Board_of_Review

Whoops. I thought you were talking about The Academy Awards.

• Like 2

Currently (and very tentatively) my 10 for best picture are

Top 5

La La Land 

Moonlight

Arrival

Fences

Silence

Rest

6.Manchester By the Sea

7.Jackie

8.Live By Night

9.Passengers (Blockbuster pick)

10.Loving

Potential Spoilers

Lion (I think it misses, Weinstein has been going under, and reviews are only good)

Sully (It's Eastwood, but I think it gets forgotten)

Hacksaw Ridge (I think Gibson being invoked shuts it out entirely)

Hell or High Water (Possible indie spoiler)

20th Century Women (I think A24 only really pushes Moonlight)

Hidden Figures (depends on reception)

Obviously if Passengers, Live By Night, Silence, or Fences turn out lackluster than they'll get the boot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdMan said:

So about Hell or high water , fantastic movie & amazing screenplay but the thing is will it get enough #1 votes ???

I really don't like that rule at all. Yeah, it's hard for me to believe that it'll get that many votes, which would be a shame in my opinion. Best movie I've seen so far this year! (haven't seen much)

On November 18, 2016 at 1:47 PM, filmlover said:

From reports from the early screenings, Live by Night is a tech player only.

I remember hearing that about the Revenant from early screenings last year.

Ill wait until real reviews roll in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stripe said:

I am feeling more confident in Hidden Figures chances than in Live by Night.

This year I am also feeling some huge changes once December comes and a couple major players appear. Fences is looking stronger each day.

Me too. I'm feeling Hidden Figures could very well be coming for that The Help crowdpleaser spot.

• Like 2

I think Lion is probably out, critical reception isn't great, Weinstein isn't a powerhouse anymore, and it's not going to be a box office hit.

I still think Passengers has a good shot, it it's good.  Sci-fi has slowly gotten more popular with the academy.

Fences probably isn't good enough to win Best Picture, but the acting branch is certainly powerful enough to carry it to a nom pretty easily.

I think Patriot's Day and Hidden Figures both might sneak in. I also think Sully's chances are being seriously underrated. 

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Fences probably isn't good enough to win Best Picture, but the acting branch is certainly powerful enough to carry it to a nom pretty easily.

I think Patriot's Day and Hidden Figures both might sneak in. I also think Sully's chances are being seriously underrated. 

The reason no one is taking Patriots' Day all that seriously is...where else would it be nominated? None the actors are happening (the film is apparently an ensemble led by Wahlberg, who plays the only fictionalized character in a film based on a real event), Original Screenplay looks packed with contenders on stronger ground. It could manage some tech nominations like Lone Survivor did though unless Berg also having Deepwater Horizon out this year cancels that out.

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hey Spotlight just became the first movie to win BP and only one other Oscar since the 1950s, maybe Patriots' Day will be this century's Grand Hotel

lol last year really was a whirlwind.

But in all seriousness, I'm doubting that a Peter Berg film about the Boston Marathon bombings is getting a Best Picture nomination. I'm starting to believe in Hidden Figures, though! That should make serious bank if it's as much of a crowdpleaser as it's rumored to be.

• Like 1