Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

5 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

I'm super paranoid right now about Arrival not making it. I've accepted that Villeneuve probably won't get in for director, but I have a bad feeling after the globes. :(

If I'd be concerned about anything right now, it's Silence. Snubs everywhere and not even really catching on in limited release either.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If I'd be concerned about anything right now, it's Silence. Snubs everywhere and not even really catching on in limited release either.

I can definitely see Silence missing it (but getting into BD simply because Scorsese and pull a Foxcatcher) but I'm a naturally paranoid person lol

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

After seeing Silence I'm predicting it for Director, Cinematography, Production Design, Costumes. Can't see more than that.

After seeing your RTM post I'm more convinced than ever that it would have benefitted from the Tree of Life type release, coming out early in 2017 outside of all the crazy awards fever and actually  getting a chance to stay with people for weeks and months. Wouldn't have set the box office on fire or become a big awards frontrunner but definitely would have had a bigger chance at a Best Picture nomination. 

• Like 1

After seeing Lion, I can see why Oscar voters and guilds are (apparently!) taking to it so well. After the three big locks I honestly think it might be the next safest bet along with Hell or High Water. I think Silence, Fences, and Arrival are all more vulnerable, honestly. I actually think Garth Davis could be the semi-annual out of nowhere Best Director nod. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

After seeing Lion, I can see why Oscar voters and guilds are (apparently!) taking to it so well. After the three big locks I honestly think it might be the next safest bet along with Hell or High Water. I think Silence, Fences, and Arrival are all more vulnerable, honestly. I actually think Garth Davis could be the semi-annual out of nowhere Best Director nod. 

Just saw Lion today and I definitely think it will be in contention for a best picture award.

13 hours ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

I'm super paranoid right now about Arrival not making it. I've accepted that Villeneuve probably won't get in for director, but I have a bad feeling after the globes. :(

I have the same fear. There are many contenders fighting for room with only 4 movies I am really confident with. Curiously the two contenders with bigger BO results (Sully and Arrival) are perceived weaker every day.

31 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Lion is Weinsteins.  Itll getva nomination for sure.

Do you guys think Hacksaw Ridge has a legit shot at picture and maybe director?

Picture for sure. It has been consistently present in most of the precursors. Globes / NBR / BFCA

Director is pretty crowded. There's a huge fight for 4-5th place between Gibson, Scorsese, Mackenzie and Villeneuve. I am feeling he is in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdMan said:

I really think that  Villeneuve  is locked in , the fight is for 5th place at this point 

Lately, Director's branch has been quite unpredictable. Each year we have a huge surprising snub (Ridley Scott's Martian, Eastwood's American Sniper, Ben Affleck's Argo). I wouldnt say there's a single lock in that category.

And Arrival is not getting the heat it needs/deserves to assure a BD nom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Lion is Weinsteins.  Itll getva nomination for sure.

Do you guys think Hacksaw Ridge has a legit shot at picture and maybe director?

Weinstein didn't get anything last year. Don't automatically assumed they're locked.

i think barring some craziness; chazelle, lonergan and jenkins and obvious locks. then the next two spaces are wide open. can see any combination of denis villeneuve, mel gibson, scorsese, denzel washington, david mckenzie or garth davis getting in. right now i'd say gibson (cos it's showy work and his pr team are really pushing the comeback thing) and scorsese (won't be the most accepted film by academy but in category this open can see director's branch gravitating to epic passion project from their favourite dude) will be the other 2. dga nods next week should clear it up. 90% of the time they go 4/5 in that category.

• Like 1

My best picture prediction is that La La Land is going to win.

I dont want to predict on nominations because while the academy can nominate up to 10 films, they sometimes cut it short and thus a film I was sure would get nominated, gets snubbed. Which makes me scratch my head. Like if you have 10 slots available why not fill them all up. 

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

My best picture prediction is that La La Land is going to win.

I dont want to predict on nominations because while the academy can nominate up to 10 films, they sometimes cut it short and thus a film I was sure would get nominated, gets snubbed. Which makes me scratch my head. Like if you have 10 slots available why not fill them all up. 

New voting system.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Weinstein didn't get anything last year. Don't automatically assumed they're locked.

Well, last year two Weinstein films got one Oscar and 9 nominations in total.

Last year was the only year since 2008 without a Weinstein movie nommed for BP. Harvey managed to reach BP nominations for films like Philomena and The Reader. And he won gold in 2010 and 2011. Just because Carol was snubbed last year (with 6 noms!) doesn't mean Weinstein won't return this year.

Lion is also more AMPAS friendly!

• Like 2