Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

My predictions rn 

La La Land - 14

(BP, BD, Actress, Actor, OS, Cin, CD, Editing, PD, Score, SE, SM, 2 OS)

Moonlight - 7
(BP, BD, S Actress, S Actor, OS, Cin, Editing)

Manchester By the Sea - 6
(Picture, Director, Actor, S Actress, S Actor, OS)

Fences - 6
(BP, Actor, Actress, S Actress, S Actor, AS)

Arrival - 8
 (BP, BD, Actress, AS, Cin, Editing, SE, VE)

Silence - 11
(BP, BD, Actor, S Actor, AS, Cin, CD, Editing, PD, Score, SM)

Jackie - 7
(BP, Actress, Cin, CD, Make Up, PD, Score)

Hidden Figures - 3
(BP, S Actress, AS)

Hell or High Water - 3
(BP, S Actor, OS)

Passengers - 9
(Picture, Actress, OS, Editing, PD, Score, SE, SM, VE)

Prediction nominations with winners in bold:

12 nominations:

Silence: Best Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted ScreenplayCinematography, Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Production Design, Costume Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing

10 nominations:

Arrival: Best Picture, Director, Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Score, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing

La La Land: Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay, Original Song x2, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Mixing

7 nominations:

Jackie: Best Picture, Director, Actress, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Production Design, Score

6 nominations:

Manchester by the Sea: Best Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Editing

Moonlight: Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Cinematography

3 nominations:

Fences: Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay

Rogue One: Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing

This got posted before I was finished :kitschjob: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

6 hours ago, BirdMan said:

really ?

Is there something everyone else knows about Passengers that I don't?  Tyldum's an academy friendly director, JLaw has gotten nominated for nearly every serious role (that excludes Katniss and Mystique) she's played, the screenplay was apparently great.  Plus, the academy has become increasingly more friendly to original/high end sci fi movies.

The marketing has been weak, but I don't think that has any bearing on the actual movie quality?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Is there something everyone else knows about Passengers that I don't?  Tyldum's an academy friendly director, JLaw has gotten nominated for nearly every serious role (that excludes Katniss and Mystique) she's played, the screenplay was apparently great.  Plus, the academy has become increasingly more friendly to original/high end sci fi movies.

The marketing has been weak, but I don't think that has any bearing on the actual movie quality?

The prognosticators aren't expecting it to be up for anything beyond techs. Basically the only people expecting it to be up for any of the big awards are JLaw stans.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2016 at 5:50 AM, filmlover said:

The prognosticators aren't expecting it to be up for anything beyond techs. Basically the only people expecting it to be up for any of the big awards are JLaw stans.

There are some undeniable things that should be considered.

- The fact that it could be an under the radar movie might be really helpful.

- December opening. If this receives a solid reception and it's a nice BO hit, it won't have to face backlash/fatigue.

- It could be the crowdpleaser of the year at Oscars. There is usually one in the expanded BP category. Like The Martian: another surprising hit with a talented team that wasn't really considered as a serious contender until it opened. Had The Martian opened in November/December, the awards heat would have been greater.

- Besides La La Land buzz, there is really no other locked-huge BP contender. There are a lot of notable/great films, but most of them have their weaknesses. That means there is still room for December films to sneak in.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stripe said:

There are some undeniable things that should be considered.

- Besides La La Land buzz, there is really no other locked-huge BP contender. There are a lot of notable/great films, but most of them have their weaknesses. That means there is still room for December films to sneak in.

Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, and Jackie are all locked in. And unless it's a bust, so is Silence.

There hasn't been any word on it being a contender (in other words, no one knows when critics are seeing it, and it might drop too late to make a difference). But also, the movie dropping so late is making most skeptical of its quality. So there's no reason to really expect it to be a major contender. 

• Like 1

I am not saying Passengers will be nommed! But I wouldn't be shocked if it manages to gain traction.

Until Toronto, The Martian was seen as a blockbuster. In August who would have thought it would become nommed? Only Scott fans. Other similar BP nominee? The Blind Side. Who would have thought that prior to its release?

Manchester by the sea? It's almost in but it can (I don't think it will) be buried against the huge amount of buzz from December films (La La Land, Hidden Figures, Silence, Fences, Jackie... Passengers?). Same with Moonlight.

• Like 1

Golden globe predicts

DRAMA

Arrival

Fences (Replace with Lion if it's not ready by the time of the globes)

Manchester By The Sea

Moonlight

Jackie

COMEDY/MUSICAL

20th Century Women

Florence Foster Jenkins

The Jungle Book

La La Land

Love & Friendship

The Drama category is much more of a wild card, let alone if Paramount can get Fences/Silence in for consideration on time. As for Comedy/Musical, there's basically no scenario in which La La Land doesn't win, so it's really a matter of guessing what else will get nominated. 20CW may be the only other lock for the category, with FFJ as the next best bet.

I see La La Land being the first movie to win five Globes since Midnight Express 38 years ago (Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Original Song). If they don't disqualify it from Original Score, it could be the third winner of six Globes in history.

Drama could be crazy, Fences, Silence, Manchester and Moonlight all stand a chance of winning. But if both Fences and Silence aren't screened early enough I'd say that more or less clears the path for Manchester to take Best Drama, Best Actor - Drama and Best Screenplay. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 1:39 PM, Spaghetti said:

Golden globe predicts

DRAMA

Arrival

Fences (Replace with Lion if it's not ready by the time of the globes)

Manchester By The Sea

Moonlight

Jackie

COMEDY/MUSICAL

20th Century Women

Florence Foster Jenkins

The Jungle Book

La La Land

Love & Friendship

The Drama category is much more of a wild card, let alone if Paramount can get Fences/Silence in for consideration on time. As for Comedy/Musical, there's basically no scenario in which La La Land doesn't win, so it's really a matter of guessing what else will get nominated. 20CW may be the only other lock for the category, with FFJ as the next best bet.

Sadly you're probably right about only 2 of the 5 nominees for Comedy/Musical actually being a musical or comedy. If a Disney film were to be nominated, Zootopia and Moana are the ones that actually fit the category