kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates | 21.0 M KFP III | 11.44 M HAIL, CAESAR! | 7.10 M THE REVENANT | 6.89 M SW: TFA | 6.09 M THE CHOICE | 5.20 M PAPAZ | 4.7 M THE FINEST HOURS

^

I remember very well last year when I was watching the super bowl and a trailer for The Seventh Son aired.

Didn't seem to help the movie at all :P Even the biggest of marketing pushes can't help a product that the GA doesn't wanna see.

In this case, I think Gods of Egypt will play like Seventh Son last year, maybe a bit better but that's it.

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

^

I remember very well last year when I was watching the super bowl and a trailer for The Seventh Son aired.

Didn't seem to help the movie at all :P Even the biggest of marketing pushes can't help a product that the GA doesn't wanna see.

In this case, I think Gods of Egypt will play like Seventh Son last year, maybe a bit better but that's it.

Now now, it could do Jupiter Ascending numbers.

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They are on fire today

Wasted money. Gods of Egypt  is being dumped in late February. Should have bought a spot for Allegiant, atleast that has a chance to crack 100m.

Early on, we made the assessment that Force Awakens wouldn’t squash business for the competition, and that all boats would rise. Depending which distributor you ask, they’ll agree or disagree with that assessment. However, according to one exhibition chief we spoke with, he said Star Wars was fantastic for business. Comedy titles like Paramount’s Daddy’s Home ($143M) and Universal’s Sisters ($86.1M) had the spoils, with theater managers reporting guys would head to Star Wars or Daddy’s Home, while the women headed for Sisters.

But what about Concussion ($34M), Joy ($55.4M) and Hateful Eight ($52.4M)? Certainly, these Christmas day releases suffered at the hands at the hands of Star Wars. Said one exhibition insider, “These movies weren’t getting excellent feedback and would not have fared any better without Star Wars in the market. If anything, they benefited from Star Wars.” Art house and limited titles certainly weren’t mowed, holding up hefty theater averages (i.e. The Revenant‘s $119K at four L.A. and New York locales, the Weinstein Co.’s Carol with $1M Christmas and New Year’s weekend takes in less than 200 venues). Upscale audiences for such fare didn’t have any interest in dealing with Star Wars lines or masses.

I guess Lionsgate doesn't agree. :lol:

http://deadline.com/2016/02/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-900m-1201696190/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

That's a crock. At the rate HG4 was trailing 3 it might have lost 10-15m in domestic not any more OS. 20-30m at best

I agree that it's a crock, but you can't just look at the late legs, you also have to look at all the pre-release hype that Star Wars generated in November and December, and realize that that hurt other movies long before December 17 rolled around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I guess all winter movies will be blaming Star Wars. After Weinstein and Hateful Eight, Lionsgate is angry

http://deadline.com/2016/02/lionsgate-shares-fall-mockingjay-2-contributes-weaker-expected-q4-1201696660/

Star Wars hurt, huh? Darn shame they apparently didn't know when it was scheduled to come out, and absolutely couldn't move MJ2 if they thought it would be a problem or anything.

• Like 6

Right now MJ2 is at 280.74m with the dollar bump yet to come. So is looking at ~282m.

MJ2 was on track to have a better multiplier than MJ1 but not by much. (At 284m it would have matched MJ1's multiplier)

After the great 2nd weekend hold (MJ2 dropped 49.3% as opposed to MJ1's 53.3%) the most optimistic tracking was at 300-305m.

After the 3rd weekend (MJ1 held marginally better) and 4th weekend (MJ2 held marginally better) it was looking at 295-300m at most.

But if not for SW7, some other movie would have opened. It would have had a lesser impact but it would too have taken away some chunk.

So SW7 can factor for 10-15m dom. That's 4-5% of 282m.

If MJ2 got affected by the same margin OS, considering SW7 OS run mirrored the dom run pretty well, then it lost 15-20m (4-5% of 368.8m).

So lost 25-35m ww, roughly calculating.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1