WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

33 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I didn't see this shit happening: R-rating, lesser known character to non-comic folks like me, being a February Fox release. Credit to the best marketing campaign in a long time. I only hope those who were predicting big numbers aren't total dickheads all weekend. No one wants to read the obnoxious, "I SAW IT COMING! I SAW IT COMING! I'M SO HAPPY I'M GONNA BLOW MYSELF!"s. 

Then don't be a wet blanket. Deadpool fans deserve to go ape, it's that simple. This is an historic opening.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

When did the CMB explosion really happen? 10-12 years ago? Makes sense that the core of those movies is a lot older now, & that a more adult CMB done right had a good chance of surprising to the upside.

The big bang was somewhere between the first X-Men and Spiderman's huge breakout, but the real explosion was the Avengers/MCU thing in 2012.

19 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Fair enough. But I do think that somewhere the executives at Fox are thinking: what went so right with Deadpool and what went so-so with the X-Men franchise this entire time?

Huh?

The last two X-men films brought the franchise back to critically acclaimed relevance, with the last one, DOFP not only getting a higher average rating and higher RT score than Deadpool, but becoming the biggest worldwide earner of the series.

If anything, things have gone extremely right as of late for the X-Men and Singer.

What they are probably thinking is, "How can we make more money out of this suddenly hot notion of R-rated superhero films?"

Bring on She-Hulk, Deadpool, Whizzer, Squirrel Girl, Flatman, and Dazzler and call them the Legion of Losers or something...!

Make it raunchy, sexy, action-packed and utterly gonzo!

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

Also, let's remember X3 would have made around 360m today (adjusted+3D+max), 360m with supposedly toxic wom.

The main X-Men series hit their a peak a decade ago, and while the fifth movie did respectable business, the series won't ever going to reach that same heights again.

Unless there's substantial period without x-men movies.

• Like 1

Just now, Joel M said:

The big bang was somewhere between the first X-Men and Spiderman's huge breakout, but the real explosion was the Avengers/MCU thing in 2012.

The younger fans of those two series are now all adults so it makes sense Deadpool is breaking out to this level. The appetite for a darker, funnier, grittier CMB is there clearly.

14 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Nah, I'm actually more worried of Fox interpreting this all wrong and thinking the reason Deadpool is a success it's because of the rating. It isn't. It's a success because it's true to the character at its best, it's a success because it's actually an original Deadpool story but completely true to the character. It's a success because it has heart, it has people that care enough about these characters that they delivered the best film they possibly could. It's a success because it isn't an half-assed and self indulgent endeavor like the Singer's X-Men are. Hopefully Singer's time is ending with Apocalypse. 

It is absolutely a success because of the R rating. The language and violence and self-awareness is what's got the mainstream to buy a ticket. They haven't gone because they think it's true to the character. They didn't know who the hell he was, but they thought this looked like something they hadn't seen before. 

Not really wanting this to turn into an X-Men vs Deadpool thread at Fox. The vast majority have loved the last two X-Men films. 

It's great that Deadpool is exploding at the box office. But it's as much to do with Fox's great marketing campaign as anything. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

can X-Men Apocalypse gross less than Deadpool possibly?

I think that at this point, it's virtually a done deal. Hugely popular Deadpool vs Bryan Singer's X-Men with no Wolverine and no old cast? Consider it done. 

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

x2 is still my favourite non-raimi, non-batman (lmao too many qualifiers i know) funny book film. it's very good.

Bryan Singer has been doing this for literally TWENTY. FUCKING. YEARS.

Except he didn't, though.

He left in 2003, to return only 2014.

So, that's like 5 years.

36 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I think all it'll take is Apocalypse have the half-assed run that it's destined to have. They'll realize that they are losing money and will just go ahead telling the stories of the X-Men in the present day, making X-Men a PG-13 endeavor under a new direction and during the present day, Deadpool under Tim Miller and maybe X-Force in the future. The future of the X-Men can be bright if Fox wake the fuck up. 

Hmm, I think DoFP and now Deadpool may help Apocalypse opening. The multiplier I don't suspect will be better than the typical X-Men movie multiplier but enough to put it above 200M, which I think Fox will be content with. OS is where the real X-cash comes from now.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Also taking the lead from uwe boll I propose a forum wide law that we stop calling it the MCU and start refering to that series as "another whatever marvel avengers bullshit dirt"

I like most of the Marvel films and even I would love to see this happen :P  

• Like 1