kayumanggi

Tuesday Numbers: 6.10 M ZOOTOPIA | 2.57 M 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE | 1.41 M DEADPOOL

4 minutes ago, zackzack said:

The cast is in the voice box, no location shooting, everything is done inside a computer, how can it cost $150-$175M?

I know right? The whole film is made inside a computer, a good computer is around $1000, so how does the movie cost more than $1000? It doesn't make any sense. :mellow:

• Like 2

@zackzack

It should comfortably pass Incredibles Unadjusted # (thinking Minimum 270m gross right now which would be about 70m needed coming from an aprx 35m weekend which seems really doable.)

@mahnamahna

You cannot use a winter film as a comparison for summer when discussing legs / gross to day # in release etc cause the patterns play out differently. You've been around long enough to know that by now (or should) :) I have no doubts in Zoo's ability to pass BH6 and by a large margin (probably close to 35-40%) but the Christmas "legs" that BH6 got helped it out at a point in the run that Zoo won't be able to replicate. Higher grosses on Zoo's part will help the staying power but yeah.... The fact that BH6 got a 4x which Zoo will need 300m to hit should say something about legs and how the release date helps.

All the other recent new members / followers:

the week to week increases are not out of the ordinary nor was the Monday-Tuesday increase this week (springbreak+voting in heavily populated states makes a difference.) This is all standard and typical of the time of year and the springbreak pattern. Zoo opened at a much higher number than most animated films this time of year so its grosses do seem much larger than would be ordinary (+31% from 1m is very different looking than from 4.5m.) This is not taking away from the film's performance (or any other film currently in release) but box office patterns are patterns for a reason and we have a wonderful resource on MOJO to look at for comparison's sake.

If I am coming across as grumpy to grouchy to some that is not my intent - rather to educate and show you how to put your enthusiasm into actual extrapolation instead of excited numbers flinging / guessing. I too was excited about my new(ish) love to follow box office and I learned a lot by "listening" to the more experienced group that was already around (which would make some of them feel old if I called them out lol @Baumer @Telemachos  @filmlover and many others from the early days at Mojo.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

@mahnamahna

You cannot use a winter film as a comparison for summer when discussing legs / gross to day # in release etc cause the patterns play out differently. You've been around long enough to know that by now (or should) :) I have no doubts in Zoo's ability to pass BH6 and by a large margin (probably close to 35-40%) but the Christmas "legs" that BH6 got helped it out at a point in the run that Zoo won't be able to replicate. Higher grosses on Zoo's part will help the staying power but yeah.... The fact that BH6 got a 4x which Zoo will need 300m to hit should say something about legs and how the release date helps

Big Hero 6 only made 30M during the holidays. Why can't you compare the movies?

Edited by Kung Fu Panda Tree

15 minutes ago, zackzack said:

I don't understand how Disney animation cost so damn much....?? The cast is in the voice box, no location shooting, everything is done inside a computer, how can it cost $150-$175M? Mad Max Fury Road costing close to $200M is understandable: delayed production, location is in the middle of nowhere, practical stunts, and expensive looking CGI.

Minions & Lego price tags are more reasonable.

Why do so many people make this idiotic comment?

The reason why animation is so expensive is because it's labor intensive. End of story.

12 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

I know right? The whole film is made inside a computer, a good computer is around $1000, so how does the movie cost more than $1000? It doesn't make any sense. :mellow:

:rofl:

As pointed out in a recently linked to article, LEGO and Minions avoided the most expensive things to animate - hair and water.  Overall, the variety and detail in terms of animation of Zootopia is also more complex and time and labor extensive.  These films take 3-4 years to produce and  Disney hasn't shipped all their animator jobs overseas to cut costs. (yet)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Disney and Pixar don't get tax breaks and they don't outsource their animation

To be fair, The Lego Movie was animated in Australia, and the Illumination films are done in France. Those are two high-wage countries. The reason why the films are cheap is because the animation itself was kept simple.

29 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

I can make a CGI animated movie on my Lenovo. Don't worry, it's got Intel Core i7.

I project it'll take me about 12 years, but I guess that means Oscar buzz.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@zackzack

It should comfortably pass Incredibles Unadjusted # (thinking Minimum 270m gross right now which would be about 70m needed coming from an aprx 35m weekend which seems really doable.)

@mahnamahna

You cannot use a winter film as a comparison for summer when discussing legs / gross to day # in release etc cause the patterns play out differently. You've been around long enough to know that by now (or should) :) I have no doubts in Zoo's ability to pass BH6 and by a large margin (probably close to 35-40%) but the Christmas "legs" that BH6 got helped it out at a point in the run that Zoo won't be able to replicate. Higher grosses on Zoo's part will help the staying power but yeah.... The fact that BH6 got a 4x which Zoo will need 300m to hit should say something about legs and how the release date helps.

All the other recent new members / followers:

the week to week increases are not out of the ordinary nor was the Monday-Tuesday increase this week (springbreak+voting in heavily populated states makes a difference.) This is all standard and typical of the time of year and the springbreak pattern. Zoo opened at a much higher number than most animated films this time of year so its grosses do seem much larger than would be ordinary (+31% from 1m is very different looking than from 4.5m.) This is not taking away from the film's performance (or any other film currently in release) but box office patterns are patterns for a reason and we have a wonderful resource on MOJO to look at for comparison's sake.

If I am coming across as grumpy to grouchy to some that is not my intent - rather to educate and show you how to put your enthusiasm into actual extrapolation instead of excited numbers flinging / guessing. I too was excited about my new(ish) love to follow box office and I learned a lot by "listening" to the more experienced group that was already around (which would make some of them feel old if I called them out lol @Baumer @Telemachos  @filmlover and many others from the early days at Mojo.)

So much truth tea being spilled in this post.

janet_madonna02.gif

49 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Big Hero 6 only made 30M during the holidays. Why can't you compare the movies?

You cannot compare late legs of both movies.  On day 46, Zootopia will not increase 3X from the previous week for a straight week unlike BH6 did during its Christmas week.  BH6 also increased 2X on its 3rd week because of Thanksgiving,  something that Zootopia won't have.  

2 minutes ago, langer said:

You cannot compare late legs of both movies.  On day 46, Zootopia will not increase 3X from the previous week for a straight week unlike BH6 did during its Christmas week.  BH6 also increased 2X on its 3rd week because of Thanksgiving,  something that Zootopia won't have.  

Zootopia has spring break...

18 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Zootopia has spring break...

Yes, but the effect is not the same - more spread out, not nearly so drastic, etc... I mean Zoo is having a good week but it still fell over 70% on Monday. And just like BH6 it will get a boost in a later weekend (4th this time) but the effect again wont be the same since the better Friday will be muted by the huge drop on Sunday and the collapse on tuesday as kids go back to school after Easter. That one day (good Friday) cannot make up percentage wise the gain that BH6 got across thanksgiving WEEK and the Christmas holidays combined.

However, I would say that this is actually the better time for a film and what Zoo has in it's favor is a weaker release slate (figuratively) since studios were trying to not get washed away by BVS.

It truly is a context thing.

Zootopia spoiler alert 

Spoiler

like Stu and Bonnie Hopps would wisely say, us Zootopia fans can just settle down with the most conservative prediction and don't believe too much in the $300M dream. beauty of the complacency y'all

;)

Edited by yjs

5 hours ago, zackzack said:

I don't understand how Disney animation cost so damn much....?? The cast is in the voice box, no location shooting, everything is done inside a computer, how can it cost $150-$175M? Mad Max Fury Road costing close to $200M is understandable: delayed production, location is in the middle of nowhere, practical stunts, and expensive looking CGI.

Minions & Lego price tags are more reasonable.

I don't know why some people think you press the magical red button on your computer and you get an animated movie out of it in a minute. The task is to create a movie out of nothing. You want to pay a bunch of top-notch artists for years that create this worlds and animate every single scene in that movie. Besides that there is a lot of technological research going on. Obviously there is nobody that reaches Dinsey and Pixar in what they are doing. You can see the differences between "Norm of the north", a "Minions" and "Zootopia". What fascinates me is, that you can do such unbelievable quality for only $150M xD.

Edited by wollinux