CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I have learned that everything is possible in box office and nothing can surprise me anymore tbh. My predictions is the one above, I won't change it more. Seems solid enough and I think WOM won't be toxic for it to die that hard without any competition. But hey, like I said, nothing can surprise me anymore. Everything can happen.

Everything is pretty broad (it's possible OW to gross $100m or $250m???), it's not going lower than $150m or higher than $200m. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, I'm hoping closer to the former.

Edited by GiantCALBears

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

I think many are in for pleasant surprise this weekend in terms of box office.

If you read my review, you know I am damn fine if this does big numbers. I am just saying that if it doesn't it won't surprise me either.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Reviews don't matter in the sense that people are going to read every review, analyze them, and decided not to see something. But in today's instant and interconnected digital world, buzz builds. BvS has serious negative buzz coming off of it. I've seen major news sites carry stories about how bad the reviews are and all. People hear buzz, and they decide whether to spend money. Tickets are expensive. So reviews have actionable effects. For example, personal anecdote obviously, but I have been trying to get a friend to go see the movie with me tomorrow night. But several people have turned me down, with simple reasoning: "I heard it sucks." So they're not analyzing all the reviews, but clearly a negative buzz is being built that is swaying people off the fence. And my friends aren't just an isolated group of pretentious snobs- I think most people are the same way. People don't want to spend money on a movie where every bit of buzz is actively bad. And this is backed up by statistics. When I ran my regression study of this in December, I found that is doesn't really matter whatsoever if you are a good reviewed movie, an average reviewed movie, or a great reviewed movies- they have statistically even number of success. But it DOES matter if you had bad reviews. The number of 250+ movies with reviews below 50 on RT was a very, very small cluster.

Pretty much. Movie tickets are hella expensive and if something I wasn't really invested in seeing in the first place is apparently not worth it then it's best to save money for something more worth our dollars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Everything is pretty broad (it's going to gross $100m or $250m???), it's not going lower than $150m or higher than $200m. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, I'm hoping closer to the former.

I think people understand what I am saying. I mean something between 135M and 210M won't surprise me. Of course I don't expect it to do 210M OW lol. 

9 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

iJack, the master troll ever since The AMazing Spider-Man's days :D

he's not a troll, he wants all CBM's to be good. Its not trollish to dislike DC and like marvel when DC are clearly releasing sub bar products, its simply called having a popular opinion. I think every poster on this site would rather both DC and Marvel movies to be awesome so we have a mixture of different tones from both sides of the spectrum. 

Lets just hope SS is as good as it looks and makes up for BvS, im already expecting it to be bigger.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

If it goes under Deadpool's opening, I think WB fires Snyder on Monday morning. Deadpool was a D-list character with a Rated R movie. If you can't beat that with Batman and Superman in the same movie, something has gone terribly wrong. Push the reset button.

Snyder needs to go no matter. Even if I love the film, from a business perspective, he straight up cannot return after this critical dumpster. Every penny it makes is in spite of him and merely displays the enormous strength of the Bats and Supes brand - two brands which will easily move forward and remain strong if they're not dragged down by Snyders brand.

• Like 2

Most of those times you were partially joking though, you didn't really believe in your heart that would happen right?

I actually thought it was possible. Super likely? No. But possible? Yes.

Most of those times you were partially joking though, you didn't really believe in your heart that would happen right?

I can't answer for him, but I wasn't. I think it'll be by at least $30m now, and it could be more. Not even $300m is certain for BvS, whatever the opening numbers are.

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Reviews don't matter in the sense that people are going to read every review, analyze them, and decided not to see something. But in today's instant and interconnected digital world, buzz builds. BvS has serious negative buzz coming off of it. I've seen major news sites carry stories about how bad the reviews are and all. People hear buzz, and they decide whether to spend money. Tickets are expensive. So reviews have actionable effects. For example, personal anecdote obviously, but I have been trying to get a friend to go see the movie with me tomorrow night. But several people have turned me down, with simple reasoning: "I heard it sucks." So they're not analyzing all the reviews, but clearly a negative buzz is being built that is swaying people off the fence. And my friends aren't just an isolated group of pretentious snobs- I think most people are the same way. People don't want to spend money on a movie where every bit of buzz is actively bad. And this is backed up by statistics. When I ran my regression study of this in December, I found that is doesn't really matter whatsoever if you are a good reviewed movie, an average reviewed movie, or a great reviewed movies- they have statistically even number of success. But it DOES matter if you had bad reviews. The number of 250+ movies with reviews below 50 on RT was a very, very small cluster.

Nice post echoing what a lot of us were trying to say last night. Obviously I 100% agree.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If it goes under Deadpool's opening, I think WB fires Snyder on Monday morning. Deadpool was a D-list character with a Rated R movie. If you can't beat that with Batman and Superman in the same movie, something has gone terribly wrong. Push the reset button.

We underestimated DP popularity. It was not D-list. Fox simply never knew how to use it and was afraid. 

Having said this, I agree with the rest of your post.

Nice post echoing what a lot of us were trying to say last night. Obviously I 100% agree.

I missed that argument, lol. Been trying to keep my sanity these past couple days. 

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Yeah we both. I've even made a club for that. It got closed in favor of the whatever flame war thread fixed on the main board. 

Blame insanity for that. We had to stop the bleeding and your thread was one of them that caught in the shitstorm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, #ED said:

It's not opening below Deadpool. Seriously?

33% on RT. Oh no.

32%. Minions was a huge ass movie and opened to $115m. Granted, no IMAX and fewer adult ticket prices to boost the gross. But still, the point stands. Nothing is guaranteed at this point. Walk-ups could just suddenly crash and burn as a result of the bad WOM, kinda like what happened with TDKR for very different reason on Friday night after the shooting. As others have pointed out, the critical reception has been pushed on major websites like CNN. It's all over social media. The nuclear bomb of negative WOM has gone viral against this movie.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If I was WB hire Whedon, he's shown he can handle team aspect. Maybe try to lure Feige from Marvel.

• Like 1