CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

MOS's Walmart thing turns any sort of multiplier estimate into a dumpster fire. I don't think you can just take the Walmart+previews total and use that... on the other hand, clearly there's some demand that would've pushed preview numbers higher. I'm tempted to just pull that 12m off the OW and the total and go from there. So 280/116 is 2.41x. The "true" multiplier might be a touch less.

BVS' legs should probably be a bit less than that... sequelitis, superhero teamup, mixed WOM, poor critical response. So maybe 2.25-2.35x for the range? I know I'm just throwing numbers out there.

Any thought out, concise analysis is not appreciated here. Please leave.

^_^

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

So umm, does Greek Wedding have a dedicated fanbase? I don't really know how to read that number. If I didn't know it was the sequel to a $250M film from 2002, I'd figure it was heading for a $25+M OW.

Most of the audience didn't bother to check out the spin-off sitcom that aired a year after the movie came out on CBS. There was never any reason to believe people wanted to spend more time with these characters 13 years later.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Most of the audience didn't bother to check out the spin-off sitcom that aired a year after the movie came out on CBS. There was never any reason to believe people wanted to spend more time with these characters 13 years later.

That went six or so episodes, right?

1 minute ago, Moose said:

In some Stars Wars has messed up everything, so fantastic numbers now look "average."

I don't really buy that. A month ago when Deadpool opened and we lost our collective goddamn minds, people were saying, "And we all thought nothing would be exciting after Star Wars!"

This is a good number. No one should say it isn't. 

• Like 1

Looks like TDK is going to remain the Batman king for a good while. And holy shit its OW adjusts now to $191 and no 3D. I cant even see the unadjusted $533 total coming down. What a monster that thing was.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fmpro said:

164 mill OW with a multiplier of 2,5ish like MOS gives us 400 mill total. MOS had an inflated sunday so its 2nd weekend drop was a huge 65%..

If this stays under or around 65% drop a huge 400 mill number will happen and give it a shot a 1B WW

It has poorer reception then MoS though. I think Telemachos was right with the multiplier of 2.25. A 160 mil ow puts it at 360 mil. It's okayish.

This is a good number, in line with where i always thought it would land on opening weekend, between $165M and $175M.

I see it finishing ultimately between $385M and $415M depending on the wom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

MOS's Walmart thing turns any sort of multiplier estimate into a dumpster fire. I don't think you can just take the Walmart+previews total and use that... on the other hand, clearly there's some demand that would've pushed preview numbers higher. I'm tempted to just pull that 12m off the OW and the total and go from there. So 280/116 is 2.41x. The "true" multiplier might be a touch less.

BVS' legs should probably be a bit less than that... sequelitis, superhero teamup, mixed WOM, poor critical response. So maybe 2.25-2.35x for the range? I know I'm just throwing numbers out there.

Completely fair. Another number to consider is Furious 7's 2.39 multiplier, which I would expect this to have a higher rush factor, as evidenced by the nearly double preview. So your 2.25-2.35 range is likely to be on the money.

It'll certainly to be interesting see how the next few weeks go; it's got easy going for weekends 2 and 3, but I'm fully expecting Jungle Book to be a monster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

Q: What should BvS do over this weekend that would consider it a success?  $170 million?

I think BvS will do fine in week #1, it's week #2 that will be worrisome (but I'm too lazy to check what movies are out that week too).

God's Not Dead 2 and I Saw the Light are the only wide releases next weekend.