CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, and the Nolan-Bat trilogy are by very fucking far the franchises I respect deeply. Each of those series rose above the conventional quality of most blockbusters and tried to address legitimate human issues. 

I was on the plane today. I saw MJ2 again, and there were scenes that no other blockbuster series today would even dare do. The two-minute sequence of Katniss being numb and walking around Snow's palace was amazing...and I have an appreciation for how they handled Prim's death. I remember being upset during my first viewing, wanting an operatic reaction to Prim's death...but after my first viewing, I deeply respect how realistic their reactions were.

MJ2's only major problem is with Peeta, but that barely constitutes for even 5% of the film...because when I watch MJ2, I'm floored by how realistic a blockbuster was. Look at every other franchise (especially superhero ones [excluding Nolan's Batman trilogy]) where everything is either good or bad...MJ2 showed just how brutal and terrible the forces you're fighting with can be. Maybe the more politically and social active members here can see the strong resemblance with the war in Syria...but to most, it would go over their heads. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

Except back when BR came out even movies with "mixed" receptions could get almost a 4x multi. It would be fascinating to see the reactions from critics and audiences if BR came out now. It doesn't have any of the crowdpleasing elements of modern superhero movies, but it also has more artistic vision and depth in one scene than most comic book movies released in the last 10 years have in their whole running time.

Yeah man, it really would. Completely agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Which is who, exactly?

Between Snyder and his haters who spend the whole day in a room in front of a computer trying to convince everyone that the guy's movies are trash? I think it's pretty clear.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So in other words, you shill for an actual movie studio and think they can do no wrong even though you'll never see a cent from them as they gladly gobble up yours and everyone else's money. Lovely.

Well, I need to choose a team lol. 

The only franchise I truly love from Disney is POTC.

Universal has nothing on the same level.

Paramount only has TF.

Lionsgate has nada. Same for Fox.

And Sony made the Robert Langdon movies so that's ok I guess.

So yeah, I root for the Warners because they own about 80% of the movies I love and I want them to make money because I want those movies to keep getting made. 

Edited by James

13 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Well then the Earth itself as a market must have some weird tastes as well because that movie is the 3rd highest grosser ever. B)

By that logic I can vouch for the rest of the world that we like fast cars and beer more than space operas. :) 

• Like 1

By the way, guys! I finally saw Star Wars on the plane (it was in good quality, so don't worry) and I enjoyed it! I was never a fan of the series, but I loved this one. YAAAAS KUDOS TO GETTING AN ANTI-SW PERSON TO BE EXCITED FOR SW.

11 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Whichever franchise you root for, 6+ billion people don't care and/or don't give a shit about it.

Except for Star Wars and Star Trek. Fans of those 2 franchises love to find other fans of those franchises.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Between Snyder and his haters who spend the whole day in a room in front of a computer trying to convince everyone that the guy's movies are trash? I think it's pretty clear.

Oh my god dude, just accept that not everyone loves your movie. It got a B cinemascore, it's 73% on Flixster. It's gotten very mixed word of mouth.

There's no Smear campaign, no critics were paid off,  Drew McWeeny wasn't paid off or whatever you think is happening. And Snyder is no god. A lot of people are really upset at him. Just go to IMDB or anywhere for that matter. This movie is more divisive then MOS was.

And there's no way you can deny that but I guess those people are all Marvel trolls or on Disneys pay list right?

Seriously man, stop.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

By the way, guys! I finally saw Star Wars on the plane (it was in good quality, so don't worry) and I enjoyed it! I was never a fan of the series, but I loved this one. YAAAAS KUDOS TO GETTING AN ANTI-SW PERSON TO BE EXCITED FOR SW.

Did James like it? Seems like all the anti-SW people liked it (me self included)

I find stanning for individual movie studios to be pointless to be honest (unless you're Disney and therefore even more powerful than Oprah Winfrey). After all, they all have the same essential agenda: churn out stuff to take your hard-earned cash and giving you nothing in return other than hoping that you enjoy the movie in question. I have made equal contributions to WB, Sony, and Fox over the years so...

• Like 2