CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

6 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

2016 right now is the biggest year ever! March 2016 could be close to the record that 2012 had and with 3 movies so far this year making pretty damn good money and it's not even summer yet. This is going to be a huge year. Predicting the top 10 domestic for 2016. 1)Rogue One:460 million, 2)Batman Vs. Superman:405 million, 3) Finding Dory:400 million, 4)Deadpool: 370 million, 5) Captain America:Civil War:365 million, 6) Zootopia:290 million, 7) Fantastic Beasts: 285 million, 8)X-Men Apocylpse:240 million, 9)Suicide Squad:230 million, 10) The Jungle Book:220 million. Honorable mentions: Secret Life Of Pets:205 million, Star Trek:Beyond:200 million.

April will, unfortunately, be one of the worst Aprils. May may be good. But summer releases look weak. It's all down hill after the first kiss. 

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, every year there are examples, proving there's an audience willing to see these movies. Problem is, although they're often profitable, they aren't profitable enough. Studios would rather risk 350m (production+marketing) for the chance to hit 1b instead of spending 85m (production+marketing) for the chance at 150-200m.

(REVENANT actually falls sort of into its own category, since it was so ridiculously expensive it can't really be considered "mid-budget" anymore). But GONE GIRLS is a great example, and one that's rare -- it was actually developed and produced by one of the major studios, instead of being made independently and acquired by one of the arthouse distribution divisions (which is where most of these Oscar-potential fall movies turn up).

Gone Girl cost $61m which considering the talent involved is pretty good but would be beyond the reach of most independents not to mention it was based on a bestselling novel.

The Romcom is a genre which has fallen by the wayside due to mediocre films and the fact R rated comedies do a lot better. I'm sure it'll make a comeback but I don't think we'll see one hitting high numbers unless it really strikes a chord with audiences. 

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

I want to know how the hell Fox allowed for 60m to make Joy, which was an adult drama with a very niche premise.

Because they believed in DOR, and his last several ventures had been very successful. The premise might've been a bit of a reach, but with a major star and his ability to spin gold in award season, it was worth a shot. (It'd be interesting to know what they originally budgeted, and whether things ballooned or not.)

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Also I've got a feeling BvS will make in total something close to AoU, purely because of international cash.

No. It won't match AOU anywhere internationally. In fact it's the other way around. It's underperformed in most OS territories compare to DOM.

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Romcom is a genre which has fallen by the wayside due to mediocre films and the fact R rated comedies do a lot better. I'm sure it'll make a comeback but I don't think we'll see one hitting high numbers unless it really strikes a chord with audiences. 

We had Trainwreck just last year. Although that had the Apatow machine behind it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Because they believed in DOR, and his last several ventures had been very successful. The premise might've been a bit of a reach, but with a major star and his ability to spin gold in award season, it was worth a shot. (It'd be interesting to know what they originally budgeted, and whether things ballooned or not.)

American Hustle was $40m so I assume O'Russell, Lawrence et al likely got salary bumps. Hustle I think was completely financed by Annapurna then distribution rights were sold to Sony and foreign distributors. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

April will, unfortunately, be one of the worst Aprils. May may be good. But summer releases look weak. It's all down hill after the first kiss. 

April will be bland all there is just The Jungle Book and BVS. I would like to see some potential breakouts like The Boss, The Huntsman, or even Keanu. May will be decent. June looks slaughtered. July doesn't look horrible. August looks okay. 

45 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

No. It won't match AOU anywhere internationally. In fact it's the other way around. It's underperformed in most OS territories compare to DOM.

That's just not true it's the largest Warner opening in a lot of territories and the largest superheroes opening in a lot of others

20 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

That's just not true it's the largest Warner opening in a lot of territories and the largest superheroes opening in a lot of others

It's too bad it isn't better received in China. The analysts in the China board are saying it has a chance to finish under $100 million, which is less than half of Ultron's $240 million gross in China.

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

It's too bad it isn't better received in China. The analysts in the China board are saying it has a chance to finish under $100 million, which is less than half of Ultron's $240 million gross in China.

True but twice as high as tdkr it most territories it's o/u ultron so far we will see how it lasts but 99% sure it's going to hit a billion after this weekend gross

• Like 1