CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

1 minute ago, JennaJ said:

This is the first time I've see the studio give a revised estimate. Does this happen often and I've just never noticed?

Actually happens a lot with huge OW's. However most examples I can think of tend to trend higher like Jurassic World or Avengers

• Like 3

Just now, MrPink said:

You will not get a like from me and go beat your street ass Chewy

Listen all I'm saying is that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is for a more sophisticated audience and these box office numbers bear that out

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Well hey at least it's still the biggest Batman OW, right? Really glad to see it beat those overrated dumb Nolan movies @MrPink

It did beat all of those overrated dumb Star Wars movies except the most recent. And 75% of the overrated dumb Marvel movies. Pretty good.

Will be interesting to see how its legs compare to the overrated dumb Hunger Games and Iron Man 3

an accurate representation of Chewy

132763917415.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

This is the first time I've see the studio give a revised estimate. Does this happen often and I've just never noticed?

It does happen. Jurassic World had a revised estimate Monday morning and then another revision for the actuals later in the day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Listen all I'm saying is that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is for a more sophisticated audience and these box office numbers bear that out

It did have a deep story written by an Oscar winner... :kitschjob: 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

They got an Oscar-winning writer for this one and they ended up with an even more divisive movie than their already divisive Superman reboot that was its predecessor. I hate to pile on and say that the problem is Snyder, but...yeah, the problem is Snyder. He needs to go. Talented filmmaker in his own right, but this is out of his depth.

Oh I agree, Snyder may got some good visual shots in his movies, but he's a terrible story-teller. I honestly don't know how he was able to get behind such huge projects, at the very least they need to hire a co-director for JL, but I have a feeling Sydner wouldn't work with a co-director. and really the darker tone wasn't the problem.. the duller tone was. and mistreatment of the characters, especially Superman, they should not have a Batman fan helm a Superman film, unless he is willing to but his bias aside and let Superman be Superman. which clearly Snyder is not. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

Just now, jse said:

That Sat number must be almost a million lower then estimated as well then?

Well Friday could be a little lower as well. We'll know soon enough

Just now, jse said:

That Sat number must be almost a million lower then estimated as well then?

If I had to guess this isn't just about some terrible Sunday drop but also that Friday and possibly Sat were overestimated in the first place. Wasn't someone saying it was around 80.5 million and then the estimate ended up being 82?

2 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Oh I agree, Snyder may got some good visual shots in his movies, but he's a terrible story-teller. I honestly don't know how he was able to get behind such huge projects, at the very least they need to hire a co-director for JL, but I have a feel Sydner wouldn't work with a co-director. and really the darker tone wasn't the problem.. the duller tone was. and mistreatment of the characters, especially Superman, they should not have a Batman fan helm a Superman film, unless he is willing to but his bias aside and let Superman be Superman. which clearly Snyder is not. 

Snyder has somethings he does right for sure. But oh man are there something's he does wrong. Pretty much agree

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

If I had to guess this isn't just about some terrible Sunday drop but also that Friday and possibly Sat were overestimated in the first place. Wasn't someone saying it was around 80.5 million and then the estimate ended up being 82?

They just wanted those "#1 WB opening weekend" headlines, typical Puerto Rican shenanigans

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

The new estimates: Fri 81.6, Sat 50.7, Sun 33.8

• Like 6

This is definitely a strong opening all things considered (the poor reviews, the polarizing reception to Man of Steel, introducing a new Batman without a proper origin story less than half a decade after the most iconic version of the character said farewell), but yeah, I get the feeling WB wanted more.

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Despicable Me was revised from 60.1m ow to 56.4m. %-wise that's the biggest change in my memory for an opener. I was surprised and I remember it very clearly. It went down 6% from the estimates.

http://www.ew.com/article/2010/07/11/despicable-mes-astounding-60-million-opening-gives-the-box-office-a-big-win

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Despicable Me was revised from 60.1m ow to 56.4m. %-wise that's the biggest change in my memory for an opener. I was surprised and I remember it very clearly. It went down 6% from the estimates.

http://www.ew.com/article/2010/07/11/despicable-mes-astounding-60-million-opening-gives-the-box-office-a-big-win

If I recall correctly, that is the weekend the Summer Olympics close gutted the BO on Sunday. Everything fell big from estimates.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, a2knet said:

@Noctis

Harry Potter is the once and the future king.

200w.gif

11 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I think Deadpool is definitely winning domestically. It's Sunday is only 2% ahead of its Furious 7's, and it only has to fall below the pace of that film by 5% to close at $365M, a total that will be about equal with Deadpool.

I actually think Deadpool is signaling to get bigger than (Passion of) Christ. I can't wait for the marketing ad they are definitely doing when it becomes the biggest rated r film of all time. Such a well deserved accolade. 

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

If I recall correctly, that is the weekend the Summer Olympics close gutted the BO on Sunday. Everything fell big from estimates.

There were no Summer Olympics in 2010. It was 2008 and then 2012. There was a World Cup maybe? But we're still not that big into Soccer

Edited by MrPink

So I was at work and haven't been able to check in as often (lucky for you guys!) but did I really just read that Deadpool sold more tickets than Batman v Superman or did I misunderstand CJohn's post? Because if so that's incredibly sad. And I don't mean to hate on the movie because it's going to make $165M but like a movie that stars Deadpool and a bottle of Ajax sold more tickets than a movie starring Batman, Superman and a cameo from Wonder Woman. If you're DC/Warner Bros, how can you possibly be okay with that going forward and trying to start up your Justice league? And I know responses will be that the money speaks for itself blah blah blah but like I think ticket admissions also speak and the fact that a movie with DC's biggest stars couldn't get more butts in the theater than Deadpool is very telling. Just my opinion though.