CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm seeing scattered afternoon and evening sellouts across the Southland right now. I think west coast will be reasonably strong tonight.

Don't screw with my Derby number too much out there, okay?

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

They actually kinda do. High visibility, huge upfront demand, certainly frontloaded because of initial rush by fans, the exact same weekend of the year... BVS should be somewhat more frontloaded, but it's a solid comparison.

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Are you fricking serious??? F7 may not have been a superhero movie but it meets the definition of a huge fan-driven event film and it opened to 147 MILLION FUCKING dollars.... get a grip man its a great comparison for multiple reasons that I wont go into because they are OBVIOUS.

Yes, F7 is easily the best parallel we can trace it: similar frontloadness, released in the same holiday last year... It fits.

I'm expecting even more frontloadness from BvS, due to the nature of the cbms AND the negative reviews/buzz. Add in the natural drops from Easter, I'll say...

Preview: $26m

Friday: $55m

Saturday: $48,6m

Sunday: $32m

OW: 161,6m

And that's a fairly positive scenario. It could go higher, but there's no guarantee it won't go lower either imho.

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Is it possible for a film which tops $80m in the US on OD to miss out on $1b WW?

That's not how it works, but under $1b is a more likely scenario than over imho. 

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm American and I don't even know what 'Good Friday Holiday' is.

Lol...Good Friday is a pretty well celebrated Christian holiday. 

Its the day Jesus was crucified.

Its a pretty big deal here in South Africa.

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

Yes, F7 is easily the best parallel we can trace it: similar frontloadness, released in the same holiday last year... It fits.

I'm expecting even more frontloadness from BvS, due to the nature of the cbms AND the negative reviews/buzz. Add in the natural drops from Easter, I'll say...

And that's a fairly positive scenario. It could go higher, but there's no guarantee it won't go lower either imho.

That's not how it works, but under $1b is a more likely scenario than over imho. 

you accidentally deducted 1.7m from the previews.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, James said:

You kidding? It is the best SH movie I've ever seen by a mile. I went in a bit bummed when my friend told me I should not overhype it because I might not enjoy it and she doesn't want to play "cheer up" an entire night. After the movie she was the one being ecstatic.

Reveal hidden contents

All in all, this obliterated my expectations. 

Diving more into my audience's reaction, there was A LOT of laughter at jokes and

Reveal hidden contents

I don't know about the US, but here I am pretty sure this will have good legs here. 

Romania.:)

Oh my... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Lol...Good Friday is a pretty well celebrated Christian holiday.

Weird, honestly never heard of it.  But I've lived in very liberal/secular areas my whole life in the States so whatevs I guess.

21 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but could the religious symbolism of the movie temper the Easter Sunday drop? (Hope I am not being silly & out of line)

Honestly and with no disrespect, it is silly and out of line. Drops will be steep, it's just the nature of the weekend. Add the BvS climate and how frontloaded the preview obviously is for cbms and do the math.

8 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

OMG, could you please stop?! Have you even bothered to look at the International thread? This is easily clearing 400m WW over the weekend. It has absolutely 0% chance of missing 1B.

• Like 1

Finally saw it in glorious IMAX 3D.

Started off slow and I would have cut the Knightmare as it adds nothing, but once it got going boy did it get going.

Liked it a lot. Affleck was freaking awesome, Eisenberg was brilliant as well. Gadot gives us a good tease for WW and her theme music is beyond awesome. The wife liked it as well.

Great audience as well. Lots of applause at the end. Some diehards in there for sure, some people booed when the Civil War trailer started and huge applause at the Suicide Squad trailer. All other trailers were received indifferently.

Off to see it again now in IMAX 2D with my Ultimate ticket, and then will probably watch in RPX tomorrow and round it all up with a normal 2D showing on Sunday.

• Like 11