WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

WB won't publicly acknowledge it but it's been brought up plenty of times by people within the industry that WB wanted and expected this movie to gross $1B WW. Just because it doesn't gross $1B WW doesn't make it a disappointment but let's not act like $1B wasn't the goal. 

I have a source for that.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/wb-batman-v-superman-faces-high-expectations-1201729887/

Current tracking suggests a robust opening of at least $120 million-$140 million when the movie launches on about 4,000 screens in the U.S. One media analyst, who asked not to be named, said that given the costs and need to launch a series of future films, “anything under $1 billion in worldwide box office will be a disappointment.”

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yes and it didn't fare too well over there according to the Japan thread. 

The amount I saw was so miniscule I can't figure out if it was limited or there was no marketing.

Very odd. 

6 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Im sure Flash fans, Cyborg Fans and Aquaman Fans will come out of the woodworks and will fill the void that BvS didn't fill to carry it over 1B.

Only one out those 3 has fans in any appreciable numbers. Cyborg is almost a nonentity and while Aquaman is known, its largely as a punchline. Flash is the only one who has fans beyond the rather small pool of comic book readers.

Edited by Orestes

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Robinov said the same during pre-release Man of Steel days about that film, boasting that it would the "the most successful film in Warner Bros.' history." 

Warner Bros. features still has a significant problem on their hands -- this is not like Transformers, where the robots can carry the show if need be; these films need recognizable, sympathetic, heroic and, yes...sometimes funny protagonists (and antagonists) to make this "universe" work.  To date, they haven't universally struck that with audiences. 

If BVS doesn't beat Deadpool domestically or worldwide, Warners sure will be sore...and will be firing some people, I think.  The marketing team took the fall for Superman Returns, will it be someone else this time?

Edited by Macleod

3 minutes ago, SWXII said:

The amount I saw was so miniscule I can't figure out if it was limited or there was no marketing.

Very odd. 

I was under the impression that this movie opened wide globally, however, I could be wrong about this. There may have been less marketing for it than other markets like you've stated. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

But that's not WB's expectations. It's not even whisper expectations from a WB source. It's an analyst's expectations of WB's expectations... and analysts are basically glorified versions of us.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Robinov said the same during pre-release Man of Steel days about that film, boasting that it would the "the most successful film in Warner Bros.' history." 

Warner Bros. features still has a significant problem on their hands -- this is not like Transformers, where the robots can carry the show if need be; these films need recognizable, sympathetic, heroic and, yes...sometimes funny protagonists (and antagonists) to make this "universe" work.  To date, they haven't universally struck that with audiences. 

If BVS doesn't beat Deadpool domestically or worldwide, Warners sure will be sore...and will be firing some people, I think.  The marketing team took the fall for Superman Returns, will it be someone else this time?

It's passing Deadpool WW by its third weekend. Let's not get carried away now. (Now if Deadpool opened in 3D and in China, we maybe having a different conversation) but it didn't do as we stand now it's definitely going over Deadpool WW. 

Just now, Macleod said:

Robinov said the same during pre-release Man of Steel days about that film, boasting that it would the "the most successful film in Warner Bros. history." 

I want it to be good enough to beat Deadpool DOM but I don't want it to come close to THG. I'm torn.

tumblr_inline_ns9yimBusU1qf89pq_500.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Please. DP was lighting in a bottle. Does not belong in the same conversation.

Agree though that the DCU needs a bit more comic relief. And continuity.

The batflek can fix that. Make him a creative consultant too. Problem solved.

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Please. DP was lighting in a bottle. Does not belong in the same conversation.

Agree though that the DCU needs a bit more comic relief. And continuity.

The batflek can fix that. Make him a creative consultant too. Problem solved.

I've come to the realization that the problem runs deeper than adding or removing one person to the creative team. 

35 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Im sure Flash fans, Cyborg Fans and Aquaman Fans will come out of the woodworks and will fill the void that BvS didn't fill to carry it over 1B.

C'mon man. I fucking LOVE these characters. LOVE them. Two of them more than I cared about ALL Marvel superheroes in the MCU but Spider-Man BEFORE Marvel Studios actually succeeded of making me more of an Avengers fan than an X-Men or Justice League one. 

But these characters other than Flash have literally zero of buzz with the GA. DCCU's strategy as it is isn't working, and it was obvious since the beginning that it wouldn't work. Too much characters to introduce in just one film and people actually caring about them. Flash doesn't have enough of buzz with the GA even if Grant Gustin was the one they were using it. 

What they need to do, if they want the kind of money that Disney is getting through Marvel Studios is make the GA care about them, just like Marvel made us care about the Avengers. Suicide Squad is coming, Wonder Woman is coming and maybe they should get either Flash or Aquaman for a 2017 release, but WITHOUT rushing it. There IS an interesting and different enough mythology to explore with these characters next to anything other superhero films are doing now. Wonder Woman will be the first superheroine film, Suicide Squad is the first villains anti-heroes team. Aquaman is so different than anything else right now that we have that it could blow everyone away with the right people behind it and James Wan totally seems to be that guy. 

There're no shortcuts for the kind of money that MCU does without compromising quality AND your profit in the long end. DC and Marvel heroes are our contemporary pantheon of gods, next to Star Wars. They are myths, but in order for people to get behind them focus on two things: quality and taking your time to build up your hype. Take your time to get things right, to show the world why Wonder Woman matters, why Flash matters, why Aquaman matters, why Cyborg matters. Get passionate people with the concept of these characters that are willing to make these characters their own, but at the same respecting the core f who they are, the reason that they tick. 

Unite the seven. But makes us care about them first. I think the best could ever happen to the DCCU is WB learning their lesson after MoS. They didn't. The very next best thing is they learning what went wrong with Batman v Superman and compromising to make these characters epic and larger than life. DC HAS WHAT IT TAKES. But there're no shortcuts for glory. They'll get there, as long as they understand how powerful these characters are on their own.

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1