WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

2 minutes ago, FishMB said:

What's bad is that you can't even compare this to DH2, for it went up against Captain America in weekend #2!

It also did almost $16m more in previews so it's FSS was about $125m vs  $138m and it burned off almost $19m more during summer weekdays

• Like 1

This weekend is interesting, to say the least. :o

When I saw the initial $18M headline the number seemed high to me, so the downward revision makes sense. However, this is a drastic drop. There is no way that Tsujihara is okay with this, though it's unlikely that WB makes any public moves regarding its DCEU slate immediately. ("Unlikely" as in, it ain't happening.) According to Deadline, BvS isn't expected to make a profit even with a $900M+ WW total. The way the numbers are plunging in many markets is going to make WB's bottom line on the movie even more dire. 

One has to wonder what this does to Tsujihara's regime, even moreso than what the box office means for Snyder. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

A lot of us argued before BvS opened that superhero movies with better critical acclaim tend to have longer legs.  It seemed to become controversial but facts are facts, the better performing superhero movies are the critically acclaimed ones, if that $15m for BvS is true then it's pretty obvious that critical reactions and general audience reactions for superhero movies aren't that far apart.

I said it in the spoiler forums that WB will be very wise to listen to the criticism of the movies and course correct. Doubling down on a direction that folks are clearly rejecting won't their do their cinematic universe any good.

Problem is Batman vs Superman was made as the course-correction from Man of Steel. Now that needs a course-correction, and its reaction was far worse than Man of Steel's which was generally mixed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aliadiere29 said:

I want a DCEU.

So do I.:mellow:

It's easy for non-fans to just say.. 'just scrap the whole thing and reboot". It isn't that easy. I love MCU but it'd be a lie if I said I didn't think about the possibility of JL movie every time I watch TA and AOU.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I mean taking risks with the direction of the film, having Supes, WW and Batman doesn't change anything, the tone, the density of it, the themes explored, it's the extreme opposite of every superhero film out there (and yes I know about TDK trilogy).

Except, if you know about TDK trilogy, you should know why it's still really not that much of a risk. The TDK trilogy was phenomenally successful, both critically and financially. Making a movie in the same dark, philosophical style that those audiences loved, except with Superman and Wonder Woman added into the mix as well, seems like far from a big risk.

Of course, then they made the mistake of giving the movie to Snyder who had no ability to actually pull off that style, thus leading to the reception we have now. But that didn't make it a big risk at the time.

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

I still remember when those of us who said it was getting bad WOM were getting crucified because Twitter and CinemaScore said otherwise. Well this 70% drop is proving its getting bad WOM. Secondly if you told me three months ago that a movie centered around Deadpool rescuing his girlfriend would make around $800M WW and a movie which has Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman would make $900M WW (will it even get there at this point?) I would have laughed in your face. But this is what you get when you don't want to make changes and take chances to go into a new direction. 

And for those of you saying WB took a chance and made something different....no they didn't. BvS is MOS 2.0. They knew exactly what they were getting into. They just hoped people were too dumb to realize it and would eat it up anyways. 

7 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

A lot of us argued before BvS opened that superhero movies with better critical acclaim tend to have longer legs.  It seemed to become controversial but facts are facts, the better performing superhero movies are the critically acclaimed ones, if that $15m for BvS is true then it's pretty obvious that critical reactions and general audience reactions for superhero movies aren't that far apart.

I said it in the spoiler forums that WB will be very wise to listen to the criticism of the movies and course correct. Doubling down on a direction that folks are clearly rejecting won't their do their cinematic universe any good.

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

If WB keeps Snyder at the helm all they're doing is investing in a sinking ship. 

I'm out of likes, but all of this. Especially the last one. Regardless the investment they made with JL, going forward right now is literally burning money. $350m of money at the very, very least.

Just now, rukaio101 said:

Except, if you know about TDK trilogy, you should know why it's still really not that much of a risk. The TDK trilogy was phenomenally successful, both critically and financially. Making a movie in the same dark, philosophical style that those audiences loved, except with Superman and Wonder Woman added into the mix as well, seems like far from a big risk.

Of course, then they made the mistake of giving the movie to Snyder who had no ability to actually pull off that style, thus leading to the reception we have now. But that didn't make it a big risk at the time.

Exactly. BvS isn't a risk. It's not an art film like some of you were trying to say earlier either. It's a film that was meant to be a cash cow for WB and a movie meant to kick off the JL. Had WB taken a risk and gotten rid of Snyder we would be having a different conversation right now. But WB sold us shit and expected us to call it caviar. 

Biggest Dollar Value drops:

DH2: 169 million to 47 million= 122 million -72%

AOU: 191 million to 77 million =114 million -59%

TA: 207 million to 103 million= 104 million

JW: 209 million - 106.5 million= 102.5 million -49%

IM3: 174 to 72 million = 102 million -58%

New Moon: 142 million to 42 million= 100 million -70%

SW7: 248 to 149 million= 99 million -40%

TDKR: 161 million to 62 million= 99 million -61%

I think Batman vs Superman will be around 115-119 million dollar decline.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Walking out of Batman vs Superman, my pal said, "That is the last time we will see Henry Cavill in that suit."

I tend to think he's right. Lest we forget both Justice League: Mortal and Superman Lives were cancelled weeks before filming was scheduled to start. So at the very least I imagine Snyder's Justice League is delayed from its production start-date in a few weeks.

Cavill isn't the problem. All the cast in Batman v Superman did a good job..... and yes, even Jesse did a decent job.

10 minutes ago, Talkie said:

This weekend is interesting, to say the least. :o

When I saw the initial $18M headline the number seemed high to me, so the downward revision makes sense. However, this is a drastic drop. There is no way that Tsujihara is okay with this, though it's unlikely that WB makes any public moves regarding its DCEU slate immediately. ("Unlikely" as in, it ain't happening.) According to Deadline, BvS isn't expected to make a profit even with a $900M+ WW total. The way the numbers are plunging in many markets is going to make WB's bottom line on the movie even more dire. 

One has to wonder what this does to Tsujihara's regime, even moreso than what the box office means for Snyder. 

I can't imagine Tsujihara will be keeping his job if Suicide Squad has the same problem.

2 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

"who had no ability", that's like your opinion man, realize that many do not share that view even if they don't factor in the box office enough to matter. 

Of course they'll make some adjustements, it's common sense, they will learn based on the reception. And BvS wasn't really a course correction on MOS, they addressed the mass destruction of MOS, but the fundamental problem is that people would rather watch something light and fun (and yes ONCE AGAIN TDK trilogy, thank you, Chris Nolan magic), that's it, give people a choice between comedy and drama, no matter that drama is inherently more interesting, people would rather laugh and have a good time. 

Anyway, this is an endless circle, you guys who have been hating on this from the beginning and are all doom and gloom stick to your guns and those of us who support the film and try to think outside of the box will stick to ours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ent said:

This is a failure on WB's part no matter how you see it.

There is no way WB was expecting a WW gross of $200m/$250m superior to MOS when added their whole roster and biggest assets, Batman and Wonder Woman included....not after non 3D TDK and TDKR.  

That a newcomer like Deadpool deprived of chinese gross may end up matching this movie WW gross sans China is a total blow to WB.

Snyder and co have been bragging for months about having icons in this, throwing cheap shots at flavour of the month from rival studio to sell what they perceive as a superior product with major incentives and definite advantages over the MCU.

The worst part of all of this is that it has pushed back even further the prospect of building a brand and acquiring market shares abroad.

SS will suffer from this in a lot of markets where both MOS and BvS had toxic WOM. 

It has to deliver big and unquestionably just to restore faith and repair the damage made to the brand.

The only character that will got unscathered from this is Batman who has more hits in his resume and a huge following among the general audience. 

For Wonder Woman, it will all depends on how WB react to its potential BO as they are one studio quick to dump any character performing under their own projection.

I hope WW prevails because it is my most anticipated DC offering.  But the timing may really hurt the movie even if it's good.

They need to move WW out of June.

• Like 1