WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

2 minutes ago, Ruthie said:

Gee whiz, talk about denial.  It's BATMAN and SUPERMAN! And WB thinks it's great that a movie featuring both of those characters has outperformed films with superheroes hardly anyone in the GA had heard of at the time of release!  Grrrrr....

In other news, bring on JL.  :D

Only if @excel1 is in charge.

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Thats funny because Tolkien once said that Lord of the Rings was greatly inspired by Catholicism, and it is in a lot of ways, especially if you've read The Silmarillion.

Frodo = Jesus?

Gollum = Judas?

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

oh don't get me started... I am traitorous for reading and watching those films ;) (witchcraft and the like....) thankfully that group is consistent though cause Narnia / LOTR isn't allowed either....

Narnia is so Christian it's ridiculous. Strange.

• Like 2

Just now, tonytr87 said:

Not technically. I hate that belief in evolution automatically = atheist in many discussions. 

It's funny that evolution themes suddenly become atheist themes or alien themes become atheist themes 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I think POTC and the hate Mel Gibson got for it is what made him become an unstable alcoholic.

Gibson struggled with alcoholism for decades.  He started drinking at 13 and was arrested for a DUI as far back as 1984.  He's said a few years ago he was diagnosed as

manic depressive and that like many he self medicated with alcohol and drugs.

1 minute ago, hasanahmad said:

It's funny that evolution themes suddenly become atheist themes or alien themes become atheist themes 

Right. For example, I consider evolution to be fact but I still believe there's a God. 

• Like 3

well to confound ya even more that group doesn't consider Catholics christians so yeah... I had a very colorful upbringing :) thankfully I have left most of that behind and to some degree have studied probably what they would consider the most godless of avenues outside of evolutionary science - psychology....

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Frodo = Jesus?

Gollum = Judas?

Eru = God

Valinor = Heaven

Middle Earth = Earth

Mordor = Hell

Valar/Maia/Elves = Angels

Melkor(fallen most power Valar and Sauron's master) = Satan

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

Right. For example, I consider evolution to be fact but I still believe there's a God. 

Same for me as a practicing Muslim evolution is real and earth isn't 7000 years old (go home creationists you are drunk) and aliens do exist as a fact because that is one belief at least in my religion 

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Frodo = Jesus?

Gollum = Judas?

There's no direct correlations like that. In a letter, Tolkien said that nothing in LotR was allegorical, but that the fundamental ethics and worldview behind it were very much Christian, and Catholic in particular. In my opinion, that's the best way to handle the religious aspect of a story: Show, don't tell.

In fact, the only aspect of the entire mythos that is clearly allegorical are the conflation of Eru with God, Melkor with Satan, and the various lower spirits with angels.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Eru = God

Valinor = Heaven

Middle Earth = Earth

Mordor = Hell

Valar/Maia/Elves = Angels

Melkor(fallen most power Valar and Sauron's master) = Satan

...and beyond specific metaphors, Tolkien intended the underlying theme of LOTR to be "the sanctification of the humble", something he felt was a crucial aspect of Roman Catholicism. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Same for me as a practicing Muslim evolution is real and earth isn't 7000 years old (go home creationists you are drunk) and aliens do exist as a fact because that is one belief at least in my religion 

Aliens are a part of the Muslim faith? I had no idea. 

Just now, tonytr87 said:

Aliens are a part of the Muslim faith? I had no idea. 

And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and of whatever living creatures He has spread forth in both. And He has the power to gather them together when He pleases.

most Muslims interpret that one day life forms will get in touch with each other. Doesn't mean they will be intelligent or it will be physical. It's not a matter of if but when 

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wait, have you actually talked with people with those complaints about the latest Disney film? I've only seen them online.

no - those people wouldn't darken the doors of a theater - except maybe in protest lol but that is how they would react if they had seen it.