WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

Just now, #ED said:

Should go in the Weekend Actuals thread. :ph34r:

(which has not been created)

Oh I know, I meant like I'm so shocked they aren't out yet. Aren't they usually out by now? Maybe not the big flicks but usually we get something from the smaller films.....

1 hour ago, SnarkIndustries said:

Maybe that will happen, but it will take a lot of heavy lifting:

FotR%20vs%20BvS_zpsv9tpxqtt.jpg~original

Also, on an adjusted basis, the LotR movies had a modest domestic increase ($477m, $502m, $536m)

Not comparing directly. Rather stating the belief that this franchise will only get more successful. Heavy lifting? That is what supes' specialty is. It got batflek in the gym didn't it.

1 hour ago, HAL 9000 said:

What makes you think people seeing it on Netflix etc are going to love the film when people who saw it in the cinemas seemingly didnt?

Yes films like Batman Begins, that most people really liked, can drive up interest in sequels when they hit DVD/TV etc but i cant see any reason to believe this is the case for BvS or a 30 minutes longer version thereof.

Stay tuned. Same bat time, same bat channel.

54 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

The snowballing only works if the movie is liked by the GA and has good WOM. Like LotR. It's not a good idea to compare any comic book movie to that though. It'll be a long time before we see a CBM nominated for best picture. If ever. 

The only way a lot of people will see the extended version of BvS is if it's the only home version, which it won't be. If they're smart at least. Release the regular version, wait a few months and release the extended. They get a ton more sales the way. This is how they usually do it. 

DC is most definitely not about 'business as usual'. 

8 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

Oh I know, I meant like I'm so shocked they aren't out yet. Aren't they usually out by now? Maybe not the big flicks but usually we get something from the smaller films.....

I agree. It's 2:30 and yet, not one actuals came in so far.

2 hours ago, SWXII said:

So, there are things like vod and Netflix and blu-Ray. Many times franchises gain fans through this secondary market. Then they go see the sequels in theater. Kind of like a snowball rolling downhill. LOTR is one of the best examples of this.

People will see the new cut as their first experience with the DCEU and get hooked, then get angry they were fooled by overly negative reviews then tell friends how good it is and all will jump on the bandwagon.

Lol

You keep right on thinking that. 

And I actually thought the movie was good, with a few negative things that they can clean up with subsequent movies. 

For me, there is no controversy over BvS. BvS is a hit but it's having bad word of mouth.

Some people liked it, some people loved it but it appears a lot more people didn't like it enough. This happens with every movie no matter how good or bad. WB simply need to listen to the criticism and address them going forward (they obviously do listen criticism considering BvS went out of its way to tell the audience that the ending battles took play in uninhabited locations). BvS' drop (worldwide) simply means most people that paid to watch it once didn't do so again and lots of folks who would have seen it didn't bother showing up. The takeaway is "so better next time". 

All the talk of the movie going over people's head is like saying Donald Trump is gaining votes because his campaign is policy driven. It's simply not true and lots of people can see that. My mantra has always been "build it and they will come", make a good superhero movie and market it well and the audience will come.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Bourne. Though I don't know how the 5th will do.

Legacy kind of messed it up box office wise.

Yep, just like the Hobbit messed up the LOTR series. 

4 minutes ago, langer said:

Yep, just like the Hobbit messed up the LOTR series. 

The Hobbit doesn't have "Lord of the Rings" in the name. Bourne has it. BOM considers Bourne Legacy part of the Bourne series, while LOTR is both part of the series "Middle Earth" and "Lord of the Rings"

There really is no argument here.

The same Way Iron Man is a series, but it's also part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe series.

Edited by Daxtreme
typo

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

The Hobbit doesn't have "Lord of the Rings" in the name. Bourne has it. BOM considers Bourne Legacy part of the Bourne series, while LOTR is both part of the series "Middle Earth" and "Lord of the Rings"

There really is no argument here.

The same Way Iron Man is a series, but it's also part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe series.

Fair enough. 

10 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

All the talk of the movie going over people's head is like saying Donald Trump is gaining votes because his campaign is policy driven. It's simply not true and lots of people can see that.

95% of the time when people do the whole "you just didn't get it"/"the movie went over audience's head" thing they're talking about a really stupid movie. You rarely see it argued with movies that are actually smart

I don't judge, I like plenty of dumb movies. There's just a lot of goofy posturing from people who are lacking a bit in perspective, especially in the immediate wake of disappointing reviews/box office/whetever

• Like 7

Just now, mrqe93 said:

I want Zootopia's next wknd # higher than that of BvS. That is going to be fun to watch 

Ain't happening, maybe in two weeks

• Like 2