jb007

Monday BvS 3.1 Rth

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I have it at $3.5m, but who knows. If followed F7, it'd have a 19.9% jump for $3.71m.

I don't think F7's 2nd monday had the NCAA championship game like this one did (IINM it was on F7's Easter Monday, i.e. first Monday). So I'm guessing 20% bump could be the floor. But then again this just plummets and plummets...

Anyway these numbers seem like they are starting to be too measly to warrant RTH's attention :lol:

• Like 1

That's what I like about Rth especially lol like he shows up for the big stuff, he doesn't waste his time and energy for the riff raff, i.e. 95% of movies at the box office. It's exciting when he does show up, though! I expect he'll be around for Captain America: Civil War so that'll be a fun box office run to follow. I'm very curious to see how that one does. I hope it's a great movie. I'll be there preview night for that, for sure, optimistic it'll be a winner. 

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Derail!

Ok fine...movie made 2 billion.  Let's pretend the studio made half...of course it didn't, China don't play that game.  Neither do most countries.  Half of 2 billion is...yes, a billion.

Did this movie cost 0 and the P&A cost...0?

yeah, bullshit.  Ok fine, yes, by there numbers apparently Force awakens cost 100m, production cost and P&A combined.

BULL FUKCING SHIT.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Ok fine...movie made 2 billion.  Let's pretend the studio made half...of course it didn't, China don't play that game.  Neither do most countries.  Half of 2 billion is...yes, a billion.

yeah, bullshit.  Ok fine, yes, by there numbers apparently Force awakens cost 100m, production cost and P&A combined.

BULL FUKCING SHIT.

Well tbf China box office was pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

The daily drill :

1. Make fun of numbers

2. Fire Snyder and delay JL

3. O/U GotG/SM3

4. Comparisons with Marvel

5. Mod Warning

6. Make fun of numbers

7. O/U ZOOTP

8. Fire Snyder and delay JL

9. O/U 900m

10. Wait for RTH

And in between each you need a half dozen "everyone who didn't like the movie is a hater who just didn't get it"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kowhite said:

yeah, bullshit.  

Don't all of those Deadline projections (guesses whatever) also include projected ancillaries except merchandise (which they used to include and guess about)?

25 minutes ago, a2knet said:

The daily drill :

1. Make fun of numbers

2. Fire Snyder and delay JL

3. O/U GotG/SM3

4. Comparisons with Marvel

5. Mod Warning

6. Make fun of numbers

7. O/U ZOOTP

8. Fire Snyder and delay JL

9. O/U 900m

10. Wait for RTH

Its good to have a routine

• Like 2

Just now, kowhite said:

Hi Ecstasy!

Still...

LOL Hi Kowhite! 

But really though, China could keep all the money and it wouldn't hurt TFA as it would other movies where the bulk of their OS take is from China's box office. In the other foreign territories, isn't the take dependent on the distribution deals? Didn't check but Disney probably distributed the movie in a lot of those territories. Could be wrong. Just a guess.

Yeah, the China box office wasn't huge, and in North America of the $935M I would bet you anything Disney kept at least $560 million (60%). If not more. That helps level out the 27% (source: Wall Street Journal) that they'd make from China box office dollars and other territories like that. I fully agree with you, but I don't think the numbers are THAT far off.

According to that same WSJ article, $1 in U.S. box office revenue is worth $1.75 lifetime to the studios, so even if it's only 50 cents on the dollar, it ends up being another $1.25 from home video, streaming, TV rights (cable, free TV, etc.), etc. One thing is for sure on TFA alone Disney will recoup WELL over $1 billion of their initial $4 billion Star Wars investment. The merchandise alone is supposed to be $5 billion in the short-term, which means $500 million to Disney (they take about a 10% licensing fee) of PURE profit, almost no expenses on that money, besides maybe a small department to oversee and review products. That doesn't cost much. Even if the theatrical profit is "only" $600 million after expenses for the film are factored in, when you add the highly profitable home video release, I can't see any way the numbers don't add up to about $1.5 billion in actual profit for TFA alone. 

And that's just for right now. Over the lifetime of the movie, which is infinite in this case, it will just continue to improve on that. Each Star Wars movie continues to generate revenue year after year, whether it's almost 40 years old or whether it's just a few years old. I think Disney basically stole Star Wars at $4 billion. I was shocked when I heard about the deal originally. Granted, I'm a fan, but it's clear to me that Star Wars is worth WAY more than $4 billion. I think $10 billion is a fair valuation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

$80m more OS after its $11.2m international Monday yesterday? Seems low. 

China had a holiday. Would be 9m otherwise, not sure why so high, and expecting a 70% drop this weekend there and 90% the following weekend. Sounds like Russia and a few other countries will be doing the same.

Edited by No Prisoners

20 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

LOL Hi Kowhite! 

But really though, China could keep all the money and it wouldn't hurt TFA as it would other movies where the bulk of their OS take is from China's box office. In the other foreign territories, isn't the take dependent on the distribution deals? Didn't check but Disney probably distributed the movie in a lot of those territories. Could be wrong. Just a guess.

Disney has very broad distribution worldwide, you are right there.  Still some countries tax the shit out of things.  And...shit, what was my point?

• Like 1

Just now, kowhite said:

Disney has very broad distribution worldwide, you are right there.  Still some countries tax the shit out of things.  And...shit, what was my point?

I think your point was Fuck Deadline

Or something