kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 23.48 M THE BOSS | 23.44 M BVS: DOJ | 14.35 M ZOOTOPIA | 5.10 M HARDCORE HENRY

1 minute ago, Bishop54 said:

A movie costing this much, with this lineup of superheroes should have breezed to a billion. There is no way you could ever convince me that WB was swinging for the fence on this film, instead they hit a lazy shallow fly ball. 

It depends though and there is no way we can know exactly how the top heads at WB view BvS as an investment. Do they care more about the movie making a decent amount and promoting upcoming projects or do they care more about the movie doing business on its own in this particular case? We'll never know. True, it is obvious it should've done more, but will the difference between what is and what could've been for THIS movie actually matter in the end? Probably not.

Just now, Bishop54 said:

I meant you can't convince me that WB wasn't swinging for the fence. 

They would have gone with a safe formula if that were so. Instead they took a risk. It will prove itself as a good decision in the long term. It has already, or very soon will, be in the black. Even before the final extended version.

• Like 1

This film has an interesting trajectory. I'm sure WB must have shat their pants when the reviews came in destroying this film right before the OW and everything was doom and gloom, hence the Sad Affleck meme. Then the OW actually came and they must have been truly overjoyed that it managed to do pretty damn well anyway, critics being horrible to it and all. Then once the legs started to get real short the smiles must have slowly fallen away from their faces.

I imagine the executives of the studio are feeling pretty mixed about all of this.

As someone who quite liked this film myself I'm quite a bit sad that the GA seemed to have expected a lighter tone and weren't all that taken by it(shameful slamming by critics didn't help much I imagine) because that certainly signifies some changes and departures from it, even if subtle ones at first. Oh well, at least it didn't outright flop, so the universe itself is safe-ish for now. Here's hoping SS and WW do well.

17 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Original film with $150M production budget that grosses 300/900 > success.

Franchise movie with iconic characters and a $250M production budget that grosses 300/900 > disappointment.

Hypothetic huge franchise movie with a $350M production budget that grosses 300/900 > flop.

Capish ?

I was just pointing out how expectations have changed.  If this movie did these numbers 10 years ago I don't think it's labeled a disappointment

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAR said:

I was just pointing out how expectations have changed.  If this movie did these numbers 10 years ago I don't think it's labeled a disappointment

Well of course expectations change with inflation, market expansion, increased budgets etc. It would be stupid for expectations not to change.

Honestly, I can't believe I even have to explain this. :mellow:

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 3

BvS hitting between $850M and $900M is nothing to sneeze about and is big bucks if you remove any comparisons but even by WB standard, removing the iconic characters, this is the only $150M+ opener of that studio that won't hit $1B, despite being the second biggest opener.

So yes, after opening that big, WB surely had projected this movie to at the very least match the lowest BO of its $150+M opener, aka, TDK.

Also, there is no way that any studio with comparative products opening around the same time of the year,

doesn't consider that run post opening weekend as troubling and a major disapointment when their product opened like 80% higher (BvS) than the other one (Winter Soldier) and is now projecting to add roughly the same amount of money after both respective opening weekend numbers.

The degree of BO retention after the opening weekend is just much too low regardless of the high final gross to brush off any sense of disappointment.

• Like 2

The stench and bad taste BvS will leave in GA's mouth is worse for Warner than the movie not hitting one billion.

The absence of goodwill created by BvS could be damaging.

Can you create an interconnected universe without a movie that becomes your pillar, reference and foundations ?

That remains to be seen.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The stench and bad taste BvS will leave in GA's mouth is worse for Warner than the movie not hitting one billion.

Can you created an interconnected universe without a movie that becomes your pillar, reference and foundations ?

That remains to be seen.

Stop it. You're being logical. 

• Like 1

I am sure WB wanted at least a billion ( I think even a bit more but their lowest is a billion ) I think WB knew this movie was a risk , if it had been done right they would have launched their universe in a very smart way and then started doing solo movies that already got hype because of the success of the movie before it.

I think when they saw the movie they knew it will not please everyone but I don't think they expected that 29% score from the critics. I think their worst case scenario was a 60 something given how MOS performed.

I think what hurt this movie Box Office wise more than anything is that it's not kid friendly and that's not because it's dark, it's because of the many plots and dialogue. Kids like to watch action or humor and the real action in the movie starts like an hour and a half into it. I assure you that if this movie was kid friendly , it would have hit 1 billion so easily even with all the negativity and critics scores.All super hero movie benefit hugely from families going together to watch it a couple of times. 

Edited by Emerald kikyou

3RD WRITE THRU, 9:20AM Saturday: As of this morning, Universal’s R-rated comedy The Boss is literally drawing a line in the sand with Warner Bros.’ Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice with each looking at a projected weekend of $21.8M as they wrestle for No. 1.  Both are coming in toward the lower end of expectations, and part of that has to do with spring breaks in slowdown mode. ComScore says 15% of all schools were out yesterday, down from 30% a week ago, while 4% will be off on Monday. However other reasons abound for both titles’ light ticket sales. If Boss wins it will be by a couple hundred thousand.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-weekend-box-office-batman-v-superman-melissa-mccarthy-1201734178/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Who is calling this movie a flop? No one is calling the movie a flop. However you're in denial if you don't think this movie hasn't lived up to expectations...not expectations set by us mind you but expectations set by people within the industry including WB. It's going to get $850M WW and as result it's run has been disappointing when you consider it has three of the most iconic super heroes in it, it opened to $420M WW and the amount of money used to market it. Flop it is not but I wouldn't call it a success either. 

36 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

BvS flopped, deal with it and move on . 

17 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

As someone who quite liked this film myself I'm quite a bit sad that the GA seemed to have expected a lighter tone and weren't all that taken by it(shameful slamming by critics didn't help much I imagine) because that certainly signifies some changes and departures from it, even if subtle ones at first. Oh well, at least it didn't outright flop, so the universe itself is safe-ish for now. Here's hoping SS and WW do well.

it was always meant to be this way. BvS was the Empire strikes back. JL the return of the jedi with the lighter tone therefor more accessable to general audience and repeat viewings.

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Can you created an interconnected universe without a movie that becomes your pillar, reference and foundations ?

That remains to be seen.

We should wait for the auxiliary markets before jumping to such conclusions. You are being entirely subjective here.

I can't believe people are still trying to spin BvS as anything but a disappointment for WB. This was supposed to be their Avengers, instead it's their IM2 but with worst legs.

332237d1423251659t-really-brah-2011269.j

• Like 10