kayumanggi

Thursday Numbers: 2.72 M BVS: DOJ | 1.58 M ZOOTOPIA

Weird, so Star Wars was the only movie to increase besides Zootopia, and TFA's increase was the only double digit increase in the top 13. I wonder why that is. Both TFA and Zootopia are family friendly, is that it? I just don't get how that works sometimes, why one weekday is better than the next haha.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arlo245 said:

Finally! Great increase for Zootopia! 

The only increase in the top 10?

1 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice $2,721,160 -4% 4,256 14 $639 $273,250,542 2 Warner Bros.
2 Zootopia $1,580,848 5% 3,698 28 $427 $281,659,482 5 Disney
3 My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 $849,980 -5% 3,179 46 $267 $40,332,820 2 Universal
4 Miracles from Heaven $557,545 -4% 3,155 108 $177 $49,006,619 3 Sony / Columbia
5 God's Not Dead 2 $460,437 -11% 2,419 -- $190 $9,784,295 1 Pure Flix
6 The Divergent Series: Allegiant $403,060 -6% 3,018 -722 $134 $58,229,566 3 Lionsgate / Summit
7 10 Cloverfield Lane $352,855 -10% 2,511 -291 $141 $64,975,540 4 Paramount
8 Deadpool $294,859 -4% 1,968 -368 $150 $356,324,739 8 Fox
9 Meet the Blacks $249,974 -8% 1,015 -- $246 $5,249,551 1 Freestyle Releasing
10 London Has Fallen $150,170 -15% 1,510 -663 $99 $59,790,113 5 Focus / Gramercy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Weird, so Star Wars was the only movie to increase besides Zootopia, and TFA's increase was the only double digit increase in the top 13. I wonder why that is. Both TFA and Zootopia are family friendly, is that it? I just don't get how that works sometimes, why one weekday is better than the next haha.

TFA increase maybe because due to the trailer of Rogue One. Zoo increased and also KFP3, both animated movies.

Edited by leatherjacket
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

My guess for TFA is that the Rouge One trailer  motivated people to go see it again. Them both being Disney movies the trailer may have gotten people to go to them in hopes of seeing the trailer. In any case both increases are 100% due to the Rouge One trailer because raisins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hasanahmad said:

I think x men if it's Better than DOFP can make up to 400 + and I don't believe civil war will make more than 350. The early reviews are a catch 22, marvel might blow their load early. If the reviews are bad , it will linger on and stink up OW ans beyond. If the reviews are excellent it will have positive reviews for the hardcore fans to buy early tickets but that last minute blast of positive reviews will be nowhere to be seen and people will be like , oh that's released already . Review embargoes should always be about timing 

No way.  XMen will be very lucky to get $225m domestic.  This is essentially the sequel to First Class, so you have no Wolverine, no Stewart/McKellan, none of the general audience recognizable characters from the original series. It isn't a huge family film or anything, but it does have some draw and that will be cut into by Alice the same week and TMNT the week after.  

First Class did a $55m opening and $146m domestic and had 87% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  They should be very happy if this gets a $75m opening and above $200m domestic.  

8 hours ago, langer said:

People have been gloating about Zootopia doing better  than BvS, is your criticism extending to this also? 

People are impressed by Zootopia's run, but its success has nothing to do with BvS doing well or not doing well.  Zootopia would be doing well even if BvS was raking in huge money.  I just don't get why there is a need to compare the two as if their successes are mutually exclusive or like it's some kind of contest.

Why not instead compare BvS to Deadpool, Avengers or F7 specifically as more relevant films?  I mean just as many people (if not more, from what I've seen) are gloating on the success of Deadpool compared to BvS.  By comparison, most of the posts about Zootopia are just impressed it's doing well.  Someone saying they're impressed that an animated movie is doing better than a seemingly guaranteed blockbuster isn't automatically gloating.  If you want gloating, look at the posts that talk about "how X movie sucks in comparison to Y other movie" for a better example. 

Superhero movies do far more money on average than Animated films. It's just a fact.  An animated film (and a non-sequel) that most people estimated at under 250m  (and in many cases under 200m) doing better than a movie most people thought would easily clear 400 to 500m domestically is impressive no matter how you stack it.  

...also the majority of the Zootopia related posts don't even mention BvS?  Like most of the Marvel related posts definitely bring it up, but most of the Zootopia posts have pretty much been "omfg this is doing so well, yay!"

• Like 4