grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

The Sundance premiere happened literally the week after Oscar nominations were announced and the #oscarssowhite controversy was raging . It is hardly a surprise that the movie got better reviews but the movie is dead now. You can fix a lot of things but there are still a few things that no PR firm can fix.

2 minutes ago, TLK said:

The Sundance premiere happened literally the week after Oscar nominations were announced and the #oscarssowhite controversy was raging . It is hardly a surprise that the movie got better reviews but the movie is dead now. You can fix a lot of things but there are still a few things that no PR firm can fix.

I think the moral of the story is: do your homework before signing 8 figure deals.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TLK said:

Yeah, that's why Woody Allen, Roman Polanski and Victor Salva haven't been able to get a film produced in decades. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the moral of the story is: do your homework before signing 8 figure deals.

I think it would have been fine if Nate Parker didn't treat the Variety interview as part of his Oscar campaign. He should have known to STFU.

13 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Yeah, that's why Woody Allen, Roman Polanski and Victor Salva haven't been able to get a film produced in decades. 

That wasn't what I was talking about. Parker was able to make this movie and he will make even more movies in the future.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Allen and Polanski were busted after they had an established directing career.

No one really gives a shit about Victor Salva.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i feel like foxS are just gonna release the movie as planned. not else much they can do. it'll take a hit but i'm not sure it's as doa as you guys think it is. i wont see it though. i know it'll just make me mad. i rewatched ed wood like a month ago, one of my all-time favourites, and just felt uncomfortable.

Wait what's wrong with Ed Wood? I'm confused

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

"Only" :lol:

ikr. 17.5m is alot to pay for an indie movie. Fox Searchlight is a specialty studio, whose films live and die by critical reviews and awards season. They were hoping this would be another 12YAS, making around 50-60m. We'll have to see how the reviews out of TIFF turn out; 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Talkie said:

I'm still stunned Salva's getting more work. I know Hollywood's fucked up but you'd think some things were beyond the pale

• Like 1