grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

I just read about this whole thing.

Wow.

So this movie went from "Likely Oscar contender and the birth of a bright new talent!" to a "Let's avoid it like a plague!" clusterfuck in two minutes flat, eh?

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Hollywood is weird. Giving work and protecting people with horrible and despicable history, but throwing directors under the bus or not giving work to those who couldn't deliver on a big studio film due to inexperience and studio interference. These studio execs can go to any length to save their jobs. Horrible. Hollywood is run by mafias and scum bags. 

If you feel that strongly you won't continue to support them by watching Hollywood movies ever again, right? :P

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't even know what to say. We have folks 17 years later who are still getting lenient sentences for rape or no sentences at all (the Stanford dude and now the Colorado college kid). And then when you read that Parker's victim committed suicide in 2012, you understand that these actions have long bearing consequences. Not that I expected them not to have long bearing consequences, but just that it really opened my eyes. There are no words. 

I guess the only thing I can say, is that Birth of A Nation is an important story that needs to be told. I just wish Nate Parker and his friend weren't the ones telling the story. I don't want to veer way off topic on this, but those tweets about "rape allegations now coming out," are just despicable. Your past comes back to haunt you when you're at the top. Of course it was going to come out now. 

Unfortunately those who didn't know/the cast and crew are the ones who will suffer the most. They put everything into an Oscar contending film that now may never be. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nova said:

Unfortunately those who didn't know/the cast and crew are the ones who will suffer the most. They put everything into an Oscar contending film that now may never be. 

Come on. There are people who actually deserve sympathy. This is the definition of a first world problem.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1

It's worth mentioning that this one the Grand Jury prize at Sundance (which likely led to the big bets I'm guessing) but that's become an unreliable dictator for success in recent years. For every Precious or Whiplash, there has been a Fruitvale Station or Me & Earl & the Dying Girl (which Fox Searchlight paid $10M for and didn't see a return on it).

13 hours ago, Talkie said:

Yeah, that's why Woody Allen, Roman Polanski and Victor Salva haven't been able to get a film produced in decades. 

Their allegations came out after they were established directors. Actors in their films turn a blind eye because they know they'll get some kind of career boost from a critical stand point. I'm not saying its right, it's still despicable especially when you have well established actors and actresses doing it who don't need Allen or Polanski to further their careers. They just want that Oscar though. 

Nate Parker is not well established. He is still going to get work, obviously. But I don't think the situations are comparable because of how established the previous directors were compared to Parker. 

12 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Come on. There are people who actually deserve sympathy. This is the definition of a third world problem.

I'm talking from the film standpoint. How folks who worked on the film had no idea and now they're stuck in a pickle. They went in expecting something and now they have to promote a film with all these allegations around it. They will get asked questions about it and theyre going to be judged based on their responses, and I don't think thats fair when they went into the film not knowing. This isn't an Allen or Polanski situation where people know and just choose to ignore it. We are discussing the film, itself.

No need to bring in the third world. I'm sure what the crew/actors are going through is nothing compared to the third world. Or even what the victim and her family went/are going through at the moment. Obviously its not a comparison. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm talking from the film standpoint. How folks who worked on the film had no idea and now they're stuck in a pickle. We are discussing the film, itself. No need to bring in the third world. I'm sure what the crew/actors are going through is nothing compared to the third world. Or even what the victim and her family went/are going through. 

I meant to say first world, my bad.

Still, I think it's silly to feel sorry for people for... not being involved with an Oscar movie. Otherwise nominations morning would be a traumatic experience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ddddeeee said:

I meant to say first world, my bad.

Still, I think it's silly to feel sorry for people for... not being involved with an Oscar movie. Otherwise nominations morning would be a traumatic experience.

I edited my post, if you want to take a look at it. It may be silly to feel bad, but there is more to it then it being just an Oscar's movie. You can sympathize with them and still have sympathy to things are more important. Things aren't mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I edited my post, if you want to take a look at it. It may be silly to feel bad, but there is more to it then it being just an Oscar's movie. You can sympathize with them and still have sympathy to things are more important. Things aren't mutually exclusive. 

Fair enough. I thought you were feeling sorry for them not being affiliated with an oscar movie. My bad, again.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Remember that powerful poster of Parker as Nat Turner with the noose around his neck? Well...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/birth-a-nation-poster-altered-920249

Created by a white supremacist. Great optics all around

"Normally I wouldn't hit on a subject like this, but I hate everything about this poster," Sabo said."With the country as divided as it is, I can only imagine how many people are going to lose their lives after this movie comes out. I can only imagine how many white people are going to get beat up just for being white."

20 hours ago, kowhite said:

Oops.

So, if NP going to spread the social justice word at churches was a material part of the deal, and say churches won't go along with that, maybe Fox pulls out due to frustration of contract?  I doubt it will work that way but it would have to be a relief to them at this point.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The fact Fox is thinking about moving Hidden Figures to this year in qualifying release indicates they're ready to move on from this.

Cookie will get DAT OSCAH.

• Like 1

Whatever, so yea, Parker may be an awful awful person, or an honest guy who made a horrible mistake by doing an awful awful thing. No matter what, doesn't justify what occurred those years ago.

Either way, this movie looks incredible. 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Whatever, so yea, Parker may be an awful awful person, or an honest guy who made a horrible mistake by doing an awful awful thing. No matter what, doesn't justify what occurred those years ago.

Either way, this movie looks incredible. 

Honest men do not rape.

• Like 5