grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder if they'll try selling it off tbh. They paid $20M for a PR nightmare.

That's probably their best bet. I have a tough time seeing anyone paying significant amounts of $ for it though. Studios will either not bid, or someone will pay $10k for it.

Edited by Jayhawk

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

I feel bad for his 5 daughters. they are innocent in all of this and it must be hard to hear this about youe dad. 

I feel bad for Aja Naomi King and Armie Hammer. The former is so good on How to Get Away with Murder and deserves a breakthrough, while I was excited by the prospect of Hammer becoming an Oscar-nominated actor after not really succeeding in becoming a movie star. Oh well, maybe his role in Nocturnal Animals is juicy.

Moderation: We will follow the same protocol as the Bryan Singer allegations in the lead-up to the release of "Days of Future Past" - we separate art from the artist. This thread is ONLY for discussion about the movie. If you want to discuss the accusations against Nate Parker, please open a separate thread in the Real World.

Anyone violating this will be warned or maybe even suspended.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Moderation: We will follow the same protocol as the Bryan Singer allegations in the lead-up to the release of "Days of Future Past" - we separate art from the artist. This thread is ONLY for discussion about the movie. If you want to discuss the accusations against Nate Parker, please open a separate thread in the Real World.

Might as well the lock the thread now. I doubt this is going anywhere anymore, either at the box office or awards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Disturbing that it took an impending Oscah campaign for all this shit to come out. Dude's been working steadily for a while

I do not how long it been out there but when the news first came out. When I typed his name into google I found the police report pretty quickly. I can't find now due all the news site but is was one first thing to come out. It was digusting reading the report. She kept getting calls through out the night with no answer this went for weeks or months. With the news story becoming bigger it will most likely effect is box office. They could just release into two theaters NY and LA than put it on Amazon.  Amazon did buy the rights to this right?

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

at this point the discussion is how the case affects the release and subsequent box office of the film so it's kinda both. there's really nothing else to talk about with the picture.

Yes I'm not sure how to discuss its potential box office without discussing the scandal. I was not around for the Singer stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I think this is relevant to the film's box office.

https://mobile.twitter.com/devincf/status/765656760522711040

If not, let me know. I'm not quite sure how to discuss the film without discussing this potential disaster. 

A lot of critics privately disliked BIRTH OF A NATION at Sundance but felt they had to keep quiet. That's over after today.

It's not critics who make or break Oscars. It's the industry itself.

And besides, the critic who now feels bold enough to publicly dislike this movie is a bit late to the punch.

8 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I think this is relevant to the film's box office.

https://mobile.twitter.com/devincf/status/765656760522711040

If not, let me know. I'm not quite sure how to discuss the film without discussing this potential disaster. 

3 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Yes I'm not sure how to discuss its potential box office without discussing the scandal. I was not around for the Singer stuff. 

You can refer to the case/scandal in extremely broad terms while specifically relating it to box-office prospects. That's fine.

Any specifics about the case, people's personal lives, what you feel about rape culture, how you define rape culture, anything along those lines -- no go. Take it to the Real World Forum.

• Like 3

To be fair, when this screened, we were in the middle of the Oscars So White controversy, so it's hard to fault the studio too much for being reactionary at the time. However, with all the quality movies about people of color coming out this fall, this falling out of the race won't be of any great loss.

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm not sure how you separate the case from the movie in this case. This isn't a blockbuster with a built-in fanbase, it's a prestige pic that'll be built on momentum

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

I'm not sure how you separate the case from the movie in this case. This isn't a blockbuster with a built-in fanbase, it's a prestige pic that'll be built on momentum

All the more reason for this thread, and this movie's box office and Oscar prospects, to die.