1 hour ago, Aristis said:

Pets OW:

1 50.301 --- 64.332   Pets

For comparison:

1    55.954 ---     72.266                   Minions
1 76.913 --- 110.552   Ice Age 5
1 44.648 --- 51.981   Zoomania
1 76.013 --- 80.338   The Jungle Book

So no record - and in admissions Minions ist still higher. Had much better legs though and made 460k. Surpassing Zoo (225k) could be the goal. (Data from InsideKino)

In gross, according to BOM, Pets won with 778k to 698k. But it's probably not a record - even in gross. IA2 had 190k admissions on OW (second best Alltime).

Hope that helps :)

Thank you! Please keep us posted with the OS box office news/numbers you find about the film:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Summary of the openings so far. Not necessarily means it will reflect on others but this is what we know so far:

1. Highest OW for an original film in Israel

No, amongst originals it would lose to stuff like Avatar. amongst originals it should be second to Zootopia (admittedly barely, and that was inflated by a holiday).

13 minutes ago, Tower said:

No, amongst originals it would lose to stuff like Avatar. amongst originals it should be second to Zootopia (admittedly barely, and that was inflated by a holiday).

Thanks! Yes I meant animated. Edited now.

1 hour ago, Planodisney said:

MinaTakla, are you on the Illuminations marketing staff?  Universals got such a genius staff I'm thinking you're a plant to drive excitement!!!

You kind of disappear until the next Illumination flick rolls around.

Im right aren't I?!!???

??

Haha I wish:) Illumination inspires me on a personal level and that's why I root for them to do well. I'm an entrepreneur in real life and my work is related to marketing, film festivals and movies in general and their rise as a company inspires me a lot. From a company which started in a garage to a solid market player, that's something I relate to and that's why I tend to participate in threads about their films compared to other stuff. But I root for other companies/movies too in the main thread. I stanned for The Revenant last year which I adored and the Martian as well - and all things Oscars which I follow very closely.

My current projection for Pets OS run before seeing today's numbers. Total stands at 354m OS.

For those knowledgable about the markets, let me know if my projections are too high/low

Country  
Argentina 20
Australia 17
Austria 2.5
Belguim  3.5
Bolivia 0.5
Brazil 16
Bulgaria 1
Central America 3
Chile 6
China 35
Colombia 4
Current markets (UK, HK, Ireland, Norway, Taiwan, India etc) 65
Italy 12
Czech 2
Denmark  2.5
Ecuador 1
Estonia 0.5
Finald 2.5
France 15
Germany 30
Greece 1.5
Hungary 1.5
Iceland 0.5
Indonesia 1.5
Japan 17
Lithuania, Lebanon, Latvia 1
Malaysia 2
Mexico 23
Mongolia 0.5
Netherlands 4
New Zealand 3
Panama 3
Peru 2
Philippines 2.5
Portugal 1.5
Romania 0.5
Russia 13
Singapore 2.5
Slovenia, Slovakia 1.5
South Korea 5
Spain 12
Sweden 3
Swiss 2.5
Turkey 2
Ukraine and Urguay 1
Venzuella 3
UAE 2.5
MENA region 2.5

Projected Total:  354.5

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

My current projection for Pets OS run before seeing today's numbers. Total stands at 354m OS.

For those knowledgable about the markets, let me know if my projections are too high/low

Country  
Argentina 20
Australia 17
Austria 2.5
Belguim  3.5
Bolivia 0.5
Brazil 16
Bulgaria 1
Central America 3
Chile 6
China 35
Colombia 4
Current markets (UK, HK, Ireland, Norway, Taiwan, India etc) 65
Italy 12
Czech 2
Denmark  2.5
Ecuador 1
Estonia 0.5
Finald 2.5
France 15
Germany 30
Greece 1.5
Hungary 1.5
Iceland 0.5
Indonesia 1.5
Japan 17
Malaysia 2
Mexico 23
Mongolia 0.5
Netherlands 4
New Zealand 3
Panama 3
Peru 2
Philippines 2.5
Portugal 1.5
Romania 0.5
Russia 13
Singapore 2.5
Slovenia, Slovakia 1.5
South Korea 5
Spain 12
Sweden 3
Swiss 2.5
Turkey 2
Ukraine and Urguay 1
Venzuella 3
UAE 2.5
MENA region 2.5

Projected Total:  354.5

It will make quite a bit more than 0.5m in Romania. It had previews this weekend and it did great. I'd say there's a chance for 1m if legs are decent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, James said:

It will make quite a bit more than 0.5m in Romania. It had previews this weekend and it did great. I'd say there's a chance for 1m if legs are decent.

Thanks! I'll update my numbers tonight after the OS weekly update. Let me know what you think about the other countries if you think some are low/high and I'll do re-checks.

1 minute ago, MinaTakla said:

Thanks! I'll update my numbers tonight after the OS weekly update. Let me know what you think about the other countries if you think some are low/high and I'll do re-checks.

I think your China and France numbers are too low, Germany might be a bit too high. Maybe Italy too low too. Other than that I don't know.

• Like 1

Screendaily

Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures’ The Secret Life Of Pets continued its international run with a $29.5m weekend from its 21 territories for $99m to date.

Mexico provided the biggest opening for the animation this weekend with a number one bow of $7.7m, marking the biggest opening ever for an original animated film surpassing Inside Out. Germany and France also got off to strong starts with $7.1m and $5.4m, respectively, while the UK held firm in its sixth week with $954k for an excellent local running total of $41m.

The Secret Life Of Pets lands in China this Tuesday [Aug 2], one of 48 territories still to open over the next few months.

• Like 1

Assuming a 35m USD run in China and based on this week's openings, here are my updated predictions for Pets overseas which comes up at 366m. The other 48 markets it didn't open to - I had to guess these. Thoughts?

Country  
Argentina 20
Australia 17
Austria 2.5
Belguim  2.5
Bolivia 0.5
Brazil 17
Bulgaria 1
Central America 2
Chile 6.5
China 25
Colombia 4
Current markets (UK, HK, Ireland, Norway, Taiwan, India etc) 66
Italy 14
Czech 2
Denmark  2.5
Ecuador 1
Estonia 0.5
Finald 2.5
France 20
Germany 35
Greece 1.5
Hungary 1.5
Iceland 0.5
Indonesia 2
Japan 17
Malaysia 2
Mexico 27
Mongolia 0.5
Netherlands 4
New Zealand 3
Panama 3
Peru 2
Philippines 2.5
Portugal 2.5
Romania 1
Russia 14
Singapore 2.5
Slovenia, Slovakia 1.5
South Korea 5
Spain 12
Sweden 3
Swiss 2.5
Turkey 2
Ukraine and Urguay 3
Venzuella 3
UAE 2.5
MENA region 2.5

Projected Total:  366

THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS

Universal Pictures

Max, Duke and the gang barked up another$30.1M this weekend in 21 territories. The international total is now $99.5M with 48 more markets to go over the next few months. China opens on Tuesday. The Illumination/Universal pic from director Chris Renaud, has a worldwide cume of $396.4M in what has been a highly animated summer.

In new openings, Mexico was No. 1 with $7.6M at 726 dates. That bests the previous record for top bow ever for an original animated film which was set by Inside Out last year. Germany was likewise No. 1 with $7.1M at 690 dates for the best animated opening since Minions and coming in ahead of comps like Inside Out and Zootopia. France also bow-wowed in first place with $5.9M at 724 dates. Uruguay launched Thursday and set a record as the biggest opening day for an animated film ever, overtaking Minions. In holds, the UK has now wagged up $41M; Argentina has caged $8.8M; and Israel, where an open-air screening for pets and their owners was recently held in Tel Aviv, is No. 1 for the 5th consecutive week and a $3.3M cume.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

That's waaaaayyyyy to low.  No way it only gets to 366 OS, or I'm I missing something?

Is this just a partial list.

Its not blowing up HUGE anywhere but having a very good run everywhere.

I think I may have based my list on a worst case scenario for the coming 48 markets it didn't open to.

So far it was really huge in Latin America (highest animation OWs in several countries), the UK (highest original animation non Disney) and Germany (80% of Minions OW). In France, it had the highest OW for a non Disney animation ever surprassing KFP1 in 2008. In Asia, it also had some nice records. In Israel it's also impressive. 

But what's giving me pause is a potential China low gross and the exchange rate that propelled other worse runs to 400m+ easily. I agree with you it seems I am missing something because its run is great so far.

Maybe am underestimating the rest of the 48 markets. @Agafinsaid 400m OS is a lock.

@Omni- what do you think?

31 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

I think I may have based my list on a worst case scenario for the coming 48 markets it didn't open to.

I haven't looked over the numbers in detail and don't have better specific estimates to offer. But in general using conservative estimates for 48 markets will result in a final estimate that is far more unlikely than the individual estimates used to calculate the total. Best practice from a mathematical standpoint is to use median estimates.

I think it's reasonable to imagine that on average Pets could outperform your estimates (outside of current markets and the 4 latin american openers from last weekend) by ~25%. That would lead to a median OS estimate of $430M.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I haven't looked over the numbers in detail and don't have better specific estimates to offer. But in general using conservative estimates for 48 markets will result in a final estimate that is far more unlikely than the individual estimates used to calculate the total. Best practice from a mathematical standpoint is to use median estimates.

I think it's reasonable to imagine that on average Pets could outperform your estimates (outside of current markets and the 4 latin american openers from last weekend) by ~25%. That would lead to a median OS estimate of $430M.

Thanks Jason. Would love to know more about you calculation methods. When you have time, could you do a specific estimate for Pets?

I liked what you did with Dory and that was pretty reliable:)

• Like 1