CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Civil War was amazing, but Marvel probably wants it to perform like Avengers.

So, if it falls under AOU, that's disappointing for sure. How much was spent for marketing? The budget is 250 million, but we have no idea about the marketing.

col%C3%A8re.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Nobody. But even if it did $170m, that's a massive number and the fact that people are disappointed with a potential $180m OW says volumes about how stupid so many members are.

Still as blunt and to the point as ever :lol: 

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Civil War was amazing, but Marvel probably wants it to perform like Avengers.

So, if it falls under AOU, that's disappointing for sure. How much was spent for marketing? The budget is 250 million, but we have no idea about the marketing.

I don't think anyone here understands how marketing budgets are accounted for.

And $10 million under Ultron is not a disappointment, especially considering the potential for small drops in the future.

Don't see why we should believe Deadline or Variety seeing how consistently wrong they are on blockbusters. Previews were better than I expected so I'm gonna up my predict

Previews: 25.0M

Fri: 60.4M (85.4M total Fri)

Sat: 70.3M

Sun: 56.0M

OW: 211.7M

It's looking pretty good, guys.

Some folks calling a projected/possible 180-190 OW "disappointing" pretty much guarantees that the Rogue One and EP VIII OW threads are going to be epic. :)

And by "epic" I mean ":sadben:". 

• Like 3

One thing that's been made clear to me though, I think there is a ceiling to MCU films. There hasn't been too much outperformance since IM, TA, IM3 (oh and GoTG). Get ready for some insane Infinity War predicts that will fall flat.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 1

What is funny to me is that if no sites predicted 200 mil this would be an over performance. So called "experts" get carried away and now sub 200 is disappointing. A few months ago there were still people saying 120 to 150. All it takes is a publication over predicting and 180 is now a failure. It's still on track to be the #2 MCU film when all is said and done, but okay let's all freak out. 

• Like 2

Some of you that are so disappointed it might not beat AoU's OW do realize that it would have to be opening to like as low as $150m to be in danger of not topping AoU DOM right? There's no way WOM won't be good enough on this one for at least a 2.8x multi or so. It will breeze past AoU DOM if it has IM3s OW, and that's what matters in the long run.  

• Like 2

I never pegged this opening higher than any Avengers movie because it doesn't have it in the title. Yes, it's basically an Avengers movie but lots and lots of people won't see it like that. That's why I always stuck to $185m (granted it could go higher because Friday isn't exactly over yet).

Yes, it has better reviews than AOU but that movie is still Avengers 2 and it's $191m opening is still massive (despite what board members here say). I never thought this would out-open AOU (if it does, then the movie is IMO is overperforming) and the Australia number was a good indicator that the movie would come in slightly lower than $200m.

All the talk of "$200m being the floor" was always too optimistic for me. If this movie gets over my $185m prediction, I will be seriously shocked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stringer Bell Theory said:

What is funny to me is that if no sites predicted 200 mil this would be an over performance. So called "experts" get carried away and now sub 200 is disappointing. A few months ago there were still people saying 120 to 150. All it takes is a publication over predicting and 180 is now a failure. It's still on track to be the #2 MCU film when all is said and done, but okay let's all freak out. 

Managing expectations is one of the toughest things to do in life, not a surprise we see the same here esp among some of our younger and more eccentric posters.

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

People gotta remember this is basically 3rd captain America film in 3 YEARS an its Iron Man's 6th movie! The fact this shit is still pulling in these numbers is insane.

giphy.gif

• Like 5