CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

I too think Winter Soldier legs are very doable. 

Winter Soldier had to contend with TASM while CW has the next X-Men film. The marketplace by then will have expanded. Enough room for both. 

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

Ohana is right . even if he is mean spirited . Treating this as a simple captain America movie is denial at its highest, I mean like the like being in the twilight zone or something. Hell the freakin poster had iron man/ captain America .

It's not just a Captain America movie sure, but it is still his story, the tone is way more WS then Avengers. Captain America is kind of leading the Avengers now.. so it makes sense they would be there. sure it is a bit of a hybrid. but you can't call this a direct Avengers movie either. plus Thor and Hulk aren't in it. 

• Like 1

Although some people are being a bit disingenuous judging this as nothing more than a CA sequel, it's also mind-boggling that the number is perceived by others as disappointing. Yes, Marvel movies have clearly hit a ceiling, but that they can so consistently touch that ceiling is the impressive part.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yes, this movie made 180M because it was a Captain America movie. Not because it had Iron Man, Spider-Man and tons of other superheroes. Lol.

^ This

It didn't quite have that "assemble" cachet although it was close enough (which is why it did approach the Avengers' opening weekends).

• Like 3

People are severely overestimating how hard Mother's Day will drop next weekend. It's definitely dropping over 50 and probably 55 but I doubt much higher than that. The weekday numbers were very good and Friday was down only 31% or so from last week.

Just now, DAJK said:

Let's not forget guys, this weekend would have been a bloodbath on the forums had CW and BvS both opened on Friday :lol:

BvS should have opened last July as it was originally supposed to do.

4 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Yea but the second date it had was May 6. Never would have happened but it's fun to think about.

5 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Nah, it should have been a better movie, that's all there is to it . Had it been better it would have done 1.2 billion WW, at least .

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Ohana is right . even if he is mean spirited . Treating this as a simple captain America movie is denial at its highest, I mean  like being in the twilight zone or something. Hell the freakin poster had iron man/ captain America .

I'm not in mean spirit, I just like honest ppl

For weeks everyone here treated it as A special Avengers movie with mass presence of Spiderman and Black Panther, and now it's all:

"Wow! Captain America 3 did so well!"

• Like 3

So CW opened to 180M,  anyone with a little bit of BO knowledge should not be surprised.  The fanboys and those prone to herd mentality are the ones being surprised.  

• Like 1

What I am trying to figure out is how a 180+m weekend would be disappointing for an Avengers movie.

I mean, seriously now.  180+ million DOLLAR weekend.  On what planet is that EVER disappointing?

Not one I'm familar with.

So go ahead and do the Duck Season/Rabbit Season dance over "Avengers" or "Captain America".  Imma gonna marvel at the mass amounts of filthy lucre the film did and will get.

This is an unqualified and indisuputable success no matter what branding label one wants to stick on the movie, and it should be treated as such.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Again, someone who thinks BvS did AWESOME is calling out other people for being in DENIAL. Yeaaaaaaaaah.

BvS is Awsome, and it was for millions of ppl who went to see it and support it.

870M WW is nothing to be ashamed of for a 2nd official DCEU movie.

Edited by Ohana

4 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Again, someone who thinks BvS did AWESOME is calling out other people for being in DENIAL. Yeaaaaaaaaah.

Hey, BvS has a good chance at 330M+ and maybe 2x leg. Most here a few weeks ago thought it wouldn't get to those milestones. You take back that shade! 

7 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

I'm trying to figure out why DC fans more upset than Marvel fans. I know there are a couple of disappointed Marvel fans. But this is just weird.

I don't understand any of the disappointment. $182m is a great opening and I think it will probably beat Ultron's domestic total too. Marvel has done a really good job of keeping their audience engaged. 

• Like 2