CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

5 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

$170 million to $175 million with those numbers.

Damn. Not even close to Ultron.

How? Why not 180

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda Knight said:

I find it funny that people are acting like these are terrible numbers or something

They are as bad as Ultron's numbers. Can you imagine owning a franchise that pulls 170M+ OW with every event movie and that shows no signs of slowing down? Sounds terrible.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, pensivepenguin said:

FWIW, the studio prediction itself was 175M. I think the box office sites like BO.com understandably reasoned that fantastic reviews + pseudo-Avengers film but in name = higher OW. In the end, should it land in the 180-190M range, that's great. It's making twice TWS' opening -- that is fantastic.

Expectations once again got carried away but that's not new.

I wouldn't rule out many DC hardcore fans skiping CW after the BvS war.
I'm one of them, before that I went to check every single Marvel movie.

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda Knight said:

I find it funny that people are acting like these are terrible numbers or something

They are not. But a lot of people got carried away with all the characters and reviews.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda Knight said:

No one's saying it's flopping, just that it's below expectation and a little disappointing. 

4 minutes ago, The Panda Knight said:

It's not, but it's disappointing. I guess Disney/Marvel should have incorporated the word 'Avengers' in the title to get the extra box-office flavour. 

Edited by marveldcfox

Just now, marveldcfox said:

It's not, but it's disappointing. They should have incorporated the word 'Avengers' in the title to get the extra box-office flavour. 

It would have done the same. Exactly the same. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pensivepenguin said:

FWIW, the studio prediction itself was 175M. I think the box office sites like BO.com understandably reasoned that fantastic reviews + pseudo-Avengers film but in name = higher OW. In the end, should it land in the 180-190M range, that's great. It's making twice TWS' opening -- that is fantastic.

Expectations once again got carried away but that's not new.

The Force Awakens obliterated people having realistic expectations. Some "experts" say that Civil War had a chance at $200+ million, suddenly the numbers are flying and any sense of being realistic went out the window. Cue the ridiculous disappointment that it may "only" make like $180 million. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

this is all terrible the comic book thing is over. gotta move on to adapting cereal mascots into movies now.

I want my M & M's movie.

Do it Hollywood.

That's a great number. It will surprass BvS on OW alone and also it has a good chance of opening over IM3. Remember that AOU was not very liked and this is called Captain America 3, i mean, $200 OW was very difficoult to get (only 3 movies did that in history). It has great chances of making more than AOU which is amazing

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

No one's saying it's flopping, just that it's below expectation and a little disappointing. 

It's below expectations.  People got carried away for a few weeks expecting insane over Avengers numbers.  Heck I even bumped my predict up to 185m because of the hype.  But it's not disappointing, a relatively light drop off from Age of Ultron is a great result for a semi-sequel.

• Like 1