Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

ban1o:

You say that "As long as you're white and male" you can have a fall from grace and come back up top. Can you give us an example of a black, hispanic, or female that did something equally as bad but was never given a chance to redeem themselves in Hollywood? Because you're making an assumption about something without providing an example to back up your claim.

• Like 1

Hacksaw Ridge, the independently financed war film directed by Mel Gibson and starring Andrew Garfield, is on the cusp of corssing $100m through IM Global licencees.

The film sits on $96m and as opened in 32 territories, including China where it opened via Bliss Media and has grossed $58m, earning a rare 30-day extension.

Elsewhere it stands at $3.8m in France through Metropolitan, $6.8m in Australia and New Zealand through Icon, $3.5m in Taiwan via Catchplay, $3.1m in the Middle East through Selim Ramia & Co, $2.2m in Scandinavia via MisLabel, and $2.2m in Spain through DeAPlaneta. Lionsgate distributes in the US where the film stands at $65.2m.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/rogue-one-in-final-ascent-to-1bn/5112775.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 4

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:28 PM, Mrstickball said:

ban1o:

You say that "As long as you're white and male" you can have a fall from grace and come back up top. Can you give us an example of a black, hispanic, or female that did something equally as bad but was never given a chance to redeem themselves in Hollywood? Because you're making an assumption about something without providing an example to back up your claim.

Winona Ryder.

Sharon Stone.

Jennifer Lopez.

And the fact that their "sins" were not even close to what Gibson did, feels to me like Hollywood indeed tends to be more forgiving of men.

Of course, many people will chalk it up to "the fact that Gibson is infinitely more talented than those three," but I have a feeling that there's more to the story than that.

On 29/12/2016 at 7:28 PM, Mrstickball said:

ban1o:

I haven't read the most of the thread incl the part what i guess this post is about, but I'd add Meg Ryan to the list

See Proof of Live - Russel Crowe liason, after that... IMHO that was a private thing, but she fell pretty much from height to bottom and did not recover from that (and did not hurt Russel Crowe's carrier comparable)

Edited by terrestrial

18 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

Winona Ryder.

Sharon Stone.

Jennifer Lopez.

And the fact that their "sins" were not even close to what Gibson did, feels to me like Hollywood indeed tends to be more forgiving of men.

Of course, many people will chalk it up to "the fact that Gibson is infinitely more talented than those three," but I have a feeling that there's more to the story than that.

Winona Ryder is in the 2nd most popular television show of 2016 and is probably going to have one of the most spectacular female leads in a TV series this side of Game of Thrones.

For Sharon Stone, could you define her "Fall from grace"? She's had constant, consistent work, as per IMDB for the past 20 years. She has 7 different characters in pre-production for 2017. Are they massive roles? No. But I haven't seen any massive box office successes spearheaded by her in decades, so I need some help understanding that one.

Can you explain J-Lo to me as well? I never had her pegged as being a major talent or star in movies. Maybe in singing, but her marketing properties always seemed to be a jack of all trades, master of none. IMDB says she still gets roles in movies, as if that was her major 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 1:28 PM, Mrstickball said:

ban1o:

yikes you didn't tag me. How would you expect me to see this post? It's not like I'm regularly in this thread. 

Edited by ban1o

you want me to give an example of a person who said flagrantly anti semitic, racist and homophobic comments and abused his wife but whose career wasn't hurt lmao!! anyway I don't want to troll this thread. I'm sure it's a good movie. 

Edited by ban1o

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Sincere question: how does Gibson feel about Trump? Someone must have asked him by now..

Why Mel Gibson didn't vote | Fusion

In an interview with Jorge Ramos, Gibson said he believes the United States deserves better than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, stripe said:

It's going to have more screens this weekend, but it won't add much to its gross. It's the same that happened with Bridge of Spies or The Martian.

They were October movies. Also Oscar nominations don't really have effect on big movies like The Martian. I think HR still has a shot at 70M.