The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

6 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

Jealous, I'm trying desperately for tickets in Chicago

Hopefully that Coogler adaptation happens eventually, would love to see a Coogler musical in general

I thought there was talk of Coogler doing Hamilton. Which would be amazing.

Edited by Wrath

1 hour ago, Blank Panther said:

Jealous, I'm trying desperately for tickets in Chicago

Hopefully that Coogler adaptation happens eventually, would love to see a Coogler musical in general

It's current format is not cinema friendly. A lot of the staging and style would need to be reworked.

Number 54

The Social Network (2010)

43 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 44.6875)

social_network_xlg.jpg

"Did I adequately answer your condescending question?"

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (46, -8), 2013 (30, -24), 2012 (17, -37)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 96.96m (103.86m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: On a fall night in 2003, Harvard undergrad and computer programming genius Mark Zuckerberg sits down at his computer and heatedly begins working on a new idea. In a fury of blogging and programming, what begins in his dorm room soon becomes a global social network and a revolution in communication. A mere six years and 500 million friends later, Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in history... but for this entrepreneur, success leads to both personal and legal complications.

Critic Opinion: "It’s a film that is never less than perfect. It defines a generation just like Network, Rebel Without A Cause and so many films before it did. The storytelling is unparalleled and with precision and flair, Fincher and Sorkin bring us the story of Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. A story that serves as both a metaphor and a snapshot, a snapshot of our time and society.  Timberlake’s Sean Parker puts it best when he says “Privacy is a thing of the past! We used to live on farms, then in cities. Now we live on the Internet.” Mr. Parker, you couldn’t be more right." - Matt Joseph

User Opinion: "One of the greatest films of all time. An intoxicatingly entertaining movie with some of the snappiest and most intelligent dialogue I've ever heard, amazing performances (especially from the mesmerizing Jesse Eisenberg who deserved an Oscar), great cinematography, slick editing, a fucking fantastic score, a goosebump inducing final scene and overall masterful directing from David Fincher.The Social Network is about as close as you can get to cinematic perfection. It will go down as the best movie of its time." - Jack Nevada

Personal Comment: David Fincher hits the list with one of the most acclaimed movies of his career, the Social Network.  The Social Network adds to the list of smaller-scale dramas to make the countdown and is also the the 10th film from the 2010s decade to make the list (tying it back up with the 80s).  The Social Network can also be seen as a critical highlight of Jesse Eisenberg's acting career that he may never be able to match again (Especially not with "The red capes are coming, the red capes are coming").  The movie has a depth that manages to summarize a new generation within a tightly compact and thrilling drama.

• Like 17

Number 53

Gravity (2013)

44 Points (12 Votes, Avg Score 32.0933)

gravity-poster.jpg

"You've got to learn to let go."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 4 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (42, -11), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Box Office: 274.09m (282.61m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 7 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness.

Critic Opinion: "Suddenly, all these two have is each other; tethered together, cut off from Earth, running out of time and oxygen, they search for a way back home and hope to avoid the next wave of debris. “Gravity” often feels the a dazzlingly high-tech play on film, with two expert actors playing off each other brilliantly. And just when it seems as if things couldn’t possibly get any worse … they do.

I wouldn’t dream of telling you where “Gravity” goes from here as it evolves and reveals its characters’ resourcefulness and resolve. I will say this is the performance of Bullock’s career, as she rises to the challenge of conveying a history and an arc in the smallest of ways and the tightest of circumstances. Like the film as a whole, it’s a breathtaking thing to behold." - Christy Lemire

User Opinion: "Gravity really is remarkable. Although the whole feature really is a grandiose spectacle, there are arguably 3 or 4 money shots that come to mind from the film that left my draw dropped throughout. About 2/3 of the way into the movie, the long sequence where Stone (Sandra Bullock) is detaching a parachute from her escape pod while the next burst of Russian debris hits the ISS is without equal; singularly, it is the most impressive movie sequence ever on the big screen. Those 3 to 5 minutes alone are worth the price of admission to see this. That there are additionally impressive scenes complementing it throughout is a bonus. And then the fuck-you-hollywood-genericism-I'm-a-talanted-director-and-thus-will-include-thought-provoking-artsy-moments shots of Stone floating in the fetal position after entering the womb of the ISS as an oxygen hose behind her is framed as that of an umbilical cord, or the final scene as she weakly emerges from the water reborn with a new lease on life... it's just so gratuitous of Director Alfonso Cuaron to have included so many brilliantly constructed shots into one 91-minute picture. 91 MINUTES!!! I swear this felt longer than The Dark Knight. Every scene mattered and the stakes in this survival story resonate so well with the audience--there was clapping after my showing." - DerekShooster

Personal Comment: Alfonso Cuaron makes his second appearance on this list with one of 2013's biggest movies, Gravity.  Gravity is the 11th movie from the 2010s decade, putting it in the lead on the decade contest for the countdown.  This also does not increase the number of sci-fi films on the list, because Gravity is, of course, not a sci-fi movie.  This thriller swept the Oscars all the way up to Best Director, while being snubbed for picture by some other film that did not make the countdown, and it received near universal acclaim.  While the movie has gotten its fair share of backlash after its release, it is overall still remembered very fondly as an instant classic among viewers.

• Like 15

i'm pretty much opposite with everyone on gravity because I saw it in the cinema and i was impressed but not enamored but i gotta say when i watched it again on blu ray i really clicked with it. totally loved it. hit me on a weirdly emotional level. it's really an incredible film.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 8

Nice to see these two movies in the list, but I wish they were higher...

My Top 5 is almost gone, Spirited Away, TSN, Gravity... Tree of Life missed the list, now i'm waiting to see where Rear Window will rank. It ranked pretty high in the last countdown, If I'm not mistaken.

I stop taking someone seriously when they say Gravity loses its appeal on the small screen. I just know whatever he says next, I will just disagree 100% with it.

I find Gravity one of those perfect movie, in the true sense of the word. And dat 90 minutes runtime? GLORIOUS.

Number 52

Ratatouille (2007)

44 Points (18 Votes, Avg Score 44.7222)

ratatouille.10390.jpg

" If you focus on what you left behind you will never see what lies ahead!"

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (31, -21), 2013 (62, +10), 2012 (51, -1)

Box Office: 206.45m (257.46m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: A rat named Remy dreams of becoming a great French chef despite his family's wishes and the obvious problem of being a rat in a decidedly rodent-phobic profession. When fate places Remy in the sewers of Paris, he finds himself ideally situated beneath a restaurant made famous by his culinary hero, Auguste Gusteau. Despite the apparent dangers of being an unlikely - and certainly unwanted - visitor in the kitchen of a fine French restaurant, Remy's passion for cooking soon sets into motion a hilarious and exciting rat race that turns the culinary world of Paris upside down. 

Critic Opinion: "Thus, tolerance is the driving theme underpinning Ratatouille, another winning animated adventure from the good folks at Pixar. Not only funny, engaging and entertaining from beginning to end, but a picture which delivers an abundance of heartwarming messages.

That rare film which can be heartily recommended for the whole family, except maybe for those tykes who might be scared by its super-realistic depiction of rodents." - Kam Williams

User Opinion: "It's beautiful. I loved this magnificent ass movie." - angeldelmito

Personal Comment: Pixar comes in with their second movie on our countdown, and also the fourth animated movie so far.  Ratatouille also marks the 10th movie from the 2000s decade on our countdown, tying the decade with the 80s for the second most amount of movies on our countdown so far.  Ratatouille was one of Pixar's smaller films, and usually not as well remembered as the massive hits like Finding Nemo or Toy Story 3, but the film has garnered a strong fanbase, especially on the internet.  Ratatouille is also Brad Bird's first film to make the countdown, Bird being best known for his strong animated works and hit-or-miss record for live action.  Ratatouille is an intelligent and clean animation that is very hard to not at the very least admire.

• Like 17