WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

53 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Thanks.

So all the >20m openers with >3x multipliers (Zootopia, TJB, KFP3) this year are family-oriented films.

Could Angry Birds continue the trend?

Guessing AB does around 2.9x. Late legs will vanish once Dory hits in a month. 

1 minute ago, johnboy3434 said:

It seems to be an artifact of the ARIMA process I ended up using. Both of the films I'm using as external regressors gained on their second Saturdays. I probably should have looked a bit closer at the numbers being outputted.

It's really not very hard. 

Close to no films drop on Saturdays unless there's a holiday or something on Friday/Sunday. 

I haven't an idea what films you use as a comparison, but you shouldn't be comparing arbitrary movies just because they are in the same month or release day. That's absolutely nothing to do with the trend. 

They aren't just data points. People watch these movies and people generally watch types of movies and those that are similar have a higher chance of acting similar. 

Neighbors 2 isn't going to be comparable to Star Trek or Poseidon or Mad Max or Shrek etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

But you'll still get the steelbook :redcapes: 

Speaking of which, when are you seeing X-Men?

Yes, I will.

I will be seeing in 60 minutes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

A Star Trek film that nobody asked for and yet here we are. 

I wanted it. I like the new ones. After that second trailer I'm looking forward to it now more than any other movie the rest of the Summer. 

Kind of a crapy weekend though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trancedanne said:

Speak for yourself, i care more for this Star Trek then Suicide Squad.

It was a joke. To go in line with all the "the sequel no one asked for" talk that has taken up several pages of this thread. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Im afraid Apocalypse could be in big trouble. It's going to need a big opening next week or it will fall well short of 200 based on reviews and the multi trends of the genre this year.

A 2.4x is probably the max it can do, it would need an 83M OW to reach 200M.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

A 2.4x is probably the max it can do, it would need an 83M OW to reach 200M.

DoFP had a 2.5x, right? I am expecting 2.1-2.2 for this one, whatever his OW is.

Just now, CJohn said:

DoFP had a 2.5x, right? I am expecting 2.1-2.2 for this one, whatever his OW is.

2.58:

X-Men: 2.89x

Deadpool: 2.72x

First Class: 2.66x

DOFP: 2.58x

X2: 2.51x

Wolverine: 2.5x

The Last Stand: 2.28x

Origins: 2.11x

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Im afraid Apocalypse could be in big trouble. It's going to need a big opening next week or it will fall well short of 200 based on reviews and the multi trends of the genre this year.

I'm thinking both it and Alice will drop between 65-70 percent in their second weekends

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

I'm thinking both it and Alice will drop between 65-70 percent in their second weekends

Bold, I like it. I think Apocalypse will but Alice will probably be mid to high 50's.

4 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

P I R A C Y.. How many times must it be said?? A lot of people aren't realizing how much of an effect it really had on this movie and one where a copy that was as pristine as it was, made it's way to the streets.. It didn't exactly help folks as much as you don't want to give credit for this..

Just a personal anecdote, but last night I talked with some friends who are not "geeky" at all or follow comic book films.    On Cap 3, they were saying things like, "Yeah...what's with all this 'hero vs hero' stuff they are doing lately?"    "They" being "the entity which makes super hero movies".

Comic book films are a single entity to them.   I actually quizzed them a little and they have no clue what "Marvel" and "DC" is.    The online fanboy war is pretty funny given that.    The general feeling in the group was they were a little bored with it.    So...."fatigue"?

I know piracy obviously has a negative effect (how could it not?), but grossing over 400 m is pretty impressive if there is some so-called "fatigue" and in the face of being able to view the movie for free online.   This may be now like how Harry Potter and Hunger Games eventually settled on their core audience while the rest of the GA moved on to the next shiny thing.

• Like 1

I honestly think the bigger deal here is the fact that watching a Marvel movie now without seeing the others is like starting a TV show at season 6.  The people who didn't want to invest in the show before aren't about to now, and they aren't about to watch a movie that just looks confusing if you haven't seen the other movies.

I had a friend who watched CW without seeing Winter Soldier or Ultron and he said  it was good but he just felt lost because he didn't see those movies.  I'm reckoning GA who haven't watched Marvel before aren't about to now.

I however do think there's room to grow in the true solo movies that are more detached from the main Avengers storyline.  For example I think Spidey, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Guardians 2 all have room/potential to breakout beyond expectations (if marketed right and if they're good movies) because they're more accessible to people who don't go and watch every Marvel movie.

Like other have said, a shared universe is fun and all, but it's going to have diminishing returns because no one wants to sit through over 24 hours of Marvel movies in order to understand the next Avengers movie that had a cool looking trailer.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I honestly think the bigger deal here is the fact that watching a Marvel movie now without seeing the others is like starting a TV show at season 6.  The people who didn't want to invest in the show before aren't about to now, and they aren't about to watch a movie that just looks confusing if you haven't seen the other movies.

I had a friend who watched CW without seeing Winter Soldier or Ultron and he said  it was good but he just felt lost because he didn't see those movies.  I'm reckoning GA who haven't watched Marvel before aren't about to now.

I however do think there's room to grow in the true solo movies that are more detached from the main Avengers storyline.  For example I think Spidey, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Guardians 2 all have room/potential to breakout beyond expectations (if marketed right and if they're good movies) because they're more accessible to people who don't go and watch every Marvel movie.

Like other have said, a shared universe is fun and all, but it's going to have diminishing returns because no one wants to sit through over 24 hours of Marvel movies in order to understand the next Avengers movie that had a cool looking trailer.

This. I would rather see literally anything else at the multiplex than Captain America 3. Mainly because I might be able to care about what's going on.

Harry Potter is bad enough if you haven't read the books, but at least it follows a linear storyline. The Marvel Cinematic universe requires knowledge of multiple series. You'd have to watch the first two Avengers movies and at least one solo Cap movie to be into Cap 3.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Bingo.

That's the "danger" of an interconnected universe.

Then again, no Marvel fan should be concerned about this universe being in trouble. If 350-400 domestic and a billion dollar worldwide is the ceiling for these Marvel quasi-Avengers movies, why would anyone be concerned? As long as they keep making that, Marvel will continue making them.

• Like 4