WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

44 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Are Star Wars fans more irritable than Marvel/DC fans?

Based on forum experience here, the SW reddit crowd as a whole was nowhere as bad as the MCU/DCU clowns who ran amok.

But the worst of the worst of them can put anyone to shame.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Absolutely, considering the story behind Furious 7 & that franchise in general, it's the "HOLY BLEEP" threshold.

Yeah, that one definitely raised the bar. $1.163 billion overseas. Incredible. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Tomorrowland was for Brad Bird what John Carter was for Andrew Stanton

John Carter wishes it had a third act meltdown as trollolololdiculous as Tomorrowland's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Regarding the Civil War numbers, they are in no way a failure nor is the movie underperforming. It was just the hype/tracking and critical and audience reception that had a lot of folks thinking Marvel could grow their audience and I think what we're seeing now is that 1.3 or 1.4 is probably the absolute maximum at this point for an Avengers related tie-in. 

The reason the trolls are out in full force is a combination of things but Marvel fans can't be spending weeks telling people that $875M for another movie is a "flop" but $1.1B is fantastic.  It doesn't make sense. $1.1B is fantastic and $875M is really really good.  It's only a disappointment because of how much sources have said that WB spent on production/advertising. 

This back and forth between fans was always terrible. I imagine the crossover between the two franchises is massive so its just an odd thing. Personally, I want both of them to do well.

If this was your first post on any other forum, I would say that it's great.  But this is BOT, so I have to say :ohmyzod:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Regarding the Civil War numbers, they are in no way a failure nor is the movie underperforming. It was just the hype/tracking and critical and audience reception that had a lot of folks thinking Marvel could grow their audience and I think what we're seeing now is that 1.3 or 1.4 is probably the absolute maximum at this point for an Avengers related tie-in. 

The reason the trolls are out in full force is a combination of things but Marvel fans can't be spending weeks telling people that $875M for another movie is a "flop" but $1.1B is fantastic.  It doesn't make sense. $1.1B is fantastic and $875M is really really good.  It's only a disappointment because of how much sources have said that WB spent on production/advertising. 

This back and forth between fans was always terrible. I imagine the crossover between the two franchises is massive so its just an odd thing. Personally, I want both of them to do well.

Context is everything. This is Marvel's 13th film, the 3rd as an ensemble. The novelty has worn off and not only are they going to have a tougher time getting great critical reception as the MCU keeps going it's also going to be tougher bringing in a new audience this late in the game when you now have to have knowledge of past movies to know what the hell is going on.  1+ billion is fantastic at this stage.

875 million for the other movie is no "flop" but it wasn't expected to be that low either. That was three of their flagship characters on screen together for the very first time.  You don't make that kind of movie and expect a modest increase over MOS. They wanted Avengers money or at the very least Iron Man 3 money. 875 is disappointing considering everything the other movie had going for it.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, AJ2k said:

The novelty has worn off and not only are they going to have a tougher time getting great critical reception as the MCU keeps going it's also going to be tougher bringing in a new audience this late in the game when you now have to have knowledge of past movies to know what the hell is going on.]

This can't be stressed enough. It's like the ninth season of a TV show; you're gonna have a really hard time expanding your audience at this point. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

Context is everything. This is Marvel's 13th film, the 3rd as an ensemble. The novelty has worn off and not only are they going to have a tougher time getting great critical reception as the MCU keeps going it's also going to be tougher bringing in a new audience this late in the game when you now have to have knowledge of past movies to know what the hell is going on.  1+ billion is fantastic at this stage.

875 million for the other movie is no "flop" but it wasn't expected to be that low either. That was three of their flagship characters on screen together for the very first time.  You don't make that kind of movie and expect a modest increase over MOS. They wanted Avengers money or at the very least Iron Man 3 money. 875 is disappointing considering everything the other movie had going for it.

I think if they play up the finality of Infinity Wars for a lot of these characters as kind of the end of their story arc, they can probably get some extra juice in the last push. Kinda similar to how the middle Potter films lulled for a bit and then the final movie made a leap. But of course, that depends on what they plan to do in these movies and if they do end up signing these actors to more movies. Civil War is really more like a midpoint for the MCU.

• Like 1

After an entire afternoon spent improving my algorithms, here are projections based on weekend estimates.

Captain America: Civil War

Monday: $3.27M (-66.6%)

THIRD WEEK TOTAL: $44.5M (-51%)

FOURTH WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $26.7M (-19.4%)

PROJECTED 10-WEEK TOTAL: $434M (2.42x)

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Monday: $1.99M (-61.9%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $29.2M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $12.1M (-44.6%)

PROJECTED SEVEN-WEEK TOTAL: $66.7M (3.06x)

The Angry Birds Movie

Monday: $1.62M (-86.2%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $44.9M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $27.9M (-28.5%)

PROJECTED 54-DAY TOTAL: $130M (3.34x)

The Nice Guys

Monday: $883k (-69.6%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $14.7M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $7.19M (-36.2%)

PROJECTED FIVE-WEEK TOTAL: $29.1M (2.58x)

Money Monster

Monday: $630k (-67.8%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $9.48M (-52.7%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $2.53M (-64.3%)

PROJECTED FOUR-WEEK TOTAL: $34.3M (2.32x)

The Darkness

Monday: $206k (-66.8%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $3.08M (-49.4%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $908k (-61.6%)

PROJECTED SIX-WEEK TOTAL: $13.9M (2.81x)

• Like 2

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

After an entire afternoon spent improving my algorithms, here are projections based on weekend estimates.

Why did you go....nevermind.

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Why did you go....nevermind.

Different operations, different outcomes. It may be a bit high on CW, but at least it doesn't have movies dropping on Saturday anymore.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

I don't disagree. The DC Extended Universe had a chance to plant their flag in the genre and while I think the end number is a perfectly fine result, they somewhat squandered an opportunity to be Pepsi to Marvel's Coca-Cola.  It's not a disaster but you only have one chance to make a first impression. Now there's more pressure on Suicide Squad because they're still looking for a home run. But this time the Homer has to come from the 7th-place hitter instead of the clean up spot. It's a lot to ask. 

It's amazing how a round number changes a lot though. Say this somehow crawled to a billion. We're talking a difference of a little over a hundred million which isn't massive but in this game that hundred million means everything. It's the difference between hitting 490 home runs and the 500 club.

• Like 10

Omg at those X-men numbers. Not a bomb but looking at the UK and Austrailia numbers...holy crap. This could open less than $70M for the 3 day. This could open with less than half of what Deadpool made its opening weekend. Embarrassing. Especially for a film with a $235M budget not including marketing. Less than $200M domestic is happening. 

2 hours ago, AJ2k said:

CNet is producing a timeline for those who have not watched the evolution of the universe avidly. Disney should jump on this and allow people to catch up through binge watching on Netflix or similar. This would breathe new life into the series and create new fans I think.

• Like 2

Just now, SWXII said:

CNet is producing a timeline for those who have not watched the evolution of the universe avidly. Disney should jump on this and allow people to catch up through binge watching on Netflix or similar. This would breathe new life into the series and create new fans I think.

Nah, that won't work. 

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

CNet is producing a timeline for those who have not watched the evolution of the universe avidly.

Pretty sure only fanboys are going to read that anyways.

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Disney should jump on this and allow people to catch up through binge watching on Netflix or similar. This would breathe new life into the series and create new fans I think.

They would also kill video sales forever.

2 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Monday: $1.99M (-61.9%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $29.2M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $12.1M (-44.6%)

PROJECTED SEVEN-WEEK TOTAL: $66.7M (3.06x)

The Angry Birds Movie

Monday: $1.62M (-86.2%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $44.9M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $27.9M (-28.5%)

PROJECTED 54-DAY TOTAL: $130M (3.34x)

The Nice Guys

Monday: $883k (-69.6%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $14.7M

SECOND WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $7.19M (-36.2%)

PROJECTED FIVE-WEEK TOTAL: $29.1M (2.58x)

Money Monster

Monday: $630k (-67.8%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $9.48M (-52.7%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $2.53M (-64.3%)

PROJECTED FOUR-WEEK TOTAL: $34.3M (2.32x)

The Darkness

Monday: $206k (-66.8%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $3.08M (-49.4%)

THIRD WEEKEND FOUR-DAY TOTAL: $908k (-61.6%)

PROJECTED SIX-WEEK TOTAL: $13.9M (2.81x)

I've been following your trials for the past few weeks and I just gotta say this: Just keep rocking on dude. I love how much fun you seem to be having trying to come up with mathematical methods to all of this and I know people are harsh on your results sometimes but you just keep going regardless and I like that. Don't give up and eventually you're going to get it right.

• Like 2