Impact

Top 10 of 2017 predictions!

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I do believe there's a chance that Disney gets the trifecta of Star Wars, GOTG and BATB next year, BUUUUT there are a lot of outliers that could take away the glory.... nevertheless, Disney's 2017 certainly will be big... just not as big as their 2016.

Now their 2018, on the other hand... I mean... Infinity War, Mulan, Han Solo, Incredibles 2, Gigantic, Mary Poppins, A Wrinkle In Time, Black Panther, Wreck It Ralph 2, Ant-Man 2, possibly The Jungle Book 2.... biggest year ever for any studio incoming.

Watch every film in the Top 10 of 2018 be from Disney... :hi5:

That would never happen, but it would be the most hilarious thing ever!

46 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Watch every film in the Top 10 of 2018 be from Disney... :hi5:

That would never happen, but it would be the most hilarious thing ever!

I know it wasn't a serious answer, but ehhh... unlikely. The other Big 4 have their own potential megahit - Fox has Deadpool 2, WB has The Batman, and Universal has Jurassic World 2.

No, Paramount and Sony don't deserve to be called big ones anymore. They're semi-big ones, at best.

And btw, if you think Disney's 2018 is looking good, their 2019 currently has scheduled Avengers 4, Star Wars Ep. 9, Indiana Jones 5, Toy Story 4, and Captain Marvel. And could possibly have Frozen 2, The Lion King, and either Dumbo or Cruella (or both maybe). Basically, an amalgamation of Disney's biggest franchises in one massive year that may just obliterate all other studios from existence :rofl:

On 12/30/2016 at 9:01 PM, MCKillswitch123 said:

I know it wasn't a serious answer, but ehhh... unlikely. The other Big 4 have their own potential megahit - Fox has Deadpool 2, WB has The Batman, and Universal has Jurassic World 2.

No, Paramount and Sony don't deserve to be called big ones anymore. They're semi-big ones, at best.

And btw, if you think Disney's 2018 is looking good, their 2019 currently has scheduled Avengers 4, Star Wars Ep. 9, Indiana Jones 5, Toy Story 4, and Captain Marvel. And could possibly have Frozen 2, The Lion King, and either Dumbo or Cruella (or both maybe). Basically, an amalgamation of Disney's biggest franchises in one massive year that may just obliterate all other studios from existence :rofl:

Wouldn't it be disastrous for us movie-fans if Hollywood collapses into a Disney monopoly? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

The other studios just have to plain do better 

Pretty much this. Hey, Paramount was once at the top of the world, and now they're where they are. Maybe Disney will fall overtime as well. And to be fair, Fox kinda dug their own grave by letting Star Wars go in the first place.

11 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

The other studios just have to plain do better 

That is correct, but it simply does not exhaust the issue. It's possible that Disney has already managed to gain critical mass and/or influence over the industry, gaining an advantage that other studios simply cannot compete with. This may prove quite negative for American cinema as a whole. On the other hand, it may force Warner, Fox, Universal etc to dig deep and raise their game. 

We shall see, we shall see...

On 29/12/2016 at 10:08 PM, CoolEric258 said:

http://www.fandango.com/movie-photos/30-most-anticipated-movies-of-2017-1316

Fandango's doing something different, and now has a top 30 most anticipated movies instead of a top 10. Of course, it's very important to understand that these lists should be taken with a pinch of salt (Zoolander 2 was like #9 last year), but it's still an interesting list regardless.

2. Guardians 2

4. Wonder Woman

5. Spider-Man: Homecoming

6. Justice League

8. Fifty Shades Darker

9. Logan

11. Lego Batman Movie

12. Thor: Ragnarok

14. Blade Runner 2049

20. Alien: Covenant

21. Jumanji

22. Kong: Skull Island

26. Baywatch

27. T2: Trainspotting

29. Snatched

Happy to see those films on the list.

I felt like I should show @WrathOfHan that predicting every wide release of the year can be done very quickly.  :ph34r:

January

6th

Spoiler

Hidden Figures - 22m / 110m (5x)

A crowdpleasing drama, that is also looking at possible Oscar nominations.  It's also getting a decent sized marketing push.  Should have good legs.

A Monster Calls - 15m / 50m (3.33x)

This movie is getting dumped, with no Oscar Buzz, but it should have good enough word of mouth.  This should have stayed in October.

Underworld: Blood Wars - 8m / 16.8m (2.1x)

A typical January dump, nobody cares about Underworld.  Does anyone really think otherwise?

13th

Spoiler

Live By Night - 12m / 28.8m (2.4x)

This looks like Gangster Squad, except without the buzz, plus a swarm of movies releasing and expanding on this date.  It will get swallowed

Patriots Day - 25m / 72m (2.88x)

This probably isn't getting any Oscar noms, and this will be a tough weekend to break out in.  It should be able to find a decent audience though, and hold well over January.  I don't see it being another Lone Survivor or anything.

Silence - 10m / 30.1m (3.01x)

There's no GA appeal in this one, and Oscar Buzz is looking less and less likely for it.  Sadly, I think it won't end up finding an audience, especially in a crowded weekend.

The Bye Bye Man - 6m / 11.7m (1.95x)

This looks to be another failed January horror flick, especially with its ridiculous premise.

Monster Trucks - 10.5m / 22.6m (2.15x)

Lol.

Sleepless - 14.5m / 32.6m (2.25x)

One of those January thrillers similar to the Boy Next Door is my guess for it.  It may do even less, but I think the star power is decent enough for a small OW.

20th

Spoiler

20th Century Women - 5.5m / 18.7m (3.4x)

It may end up with a few Oscar nominations in the acting categories, but nothing to make it pull more than 20m domestic.  Given that it's A24 I could see less.

The Founder - 17.5m / 50m (2.85x)

It has decent reviews, and an interesting enough premise to pull a small audience.  There's just so many movies expanding and out in January that I think it gets lost in the shuffle overall.

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone - 3.5m / 9.1m (2.6x)

Lol, what even is this movie?

Split - 35.2m / 101.4m (2.87x)

The trailer looks like something that can pull in the horror crowd, and the reviews look strong enough to give this one some decent legs, similar to Don't Breathe.  I see this being one of the non-Oscar breakouts of January

xXx: Return of Xander Cage - 11.4m / 24.5m (2.15x)

Nobody cares about a franchise that had one popular movies over 10 years ago.  Nobody knows who Xander Cage even is except for a few internet dwellers like us. This is bombing.

27th

Spoiler

Bastards - 11.5m / 25.9m (2.25x)

A comedy with no marketing that is getting dumped on a weekend with a number of wide releases.  I'm probably being too nice to it.

A Dog's Purpose - 32.5m / 102.4m (3.15x)

I think this one will click well with a decent amount of pet owners, and be able to pull in the family crowd that won't have anything to see.  I see it being well liked, despite being shat on by critics.

Gold - 7.3m / 17.2m (2.35x)

Dramas don't have appeal without critical/oscar buzz or without some kind of hook that draws people in.  This has neither and looks like a snooze.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 18.5m / 40.9m (2.21x)

These movies perform fairly consistently, but the last one was 5 years ago, so I expect it to do a bit worse than the franchise norm.

February

3rd

Spoiler

Rings - 6.2m / 13m (2.1x)

This is superbowl weekend, and this is a generic horror flick with no buzz.  Its target audience won't show up because there'll be an actual event this weekend on the TV screen.

The Space Between Us - 13.4m / 32.2m (2.4x)

Seems like it could do decent as countermarketing for the superbowl, but it's still not doing that much.

10th

Spoiler

Fifty Shades Darker - 45.3m / 93m (2.05x)

It doesn't have any interest outside the fanbase that the first one managed to appeal.  I also think the interest within the fanbase should be down significantly.  It should get over a 2x multiplier with V-Day being mid-week this year.

John Wick: Chapter 2 - 23.4m / 59.4m (2.54x)

I think this should increase decently from the first one, especially as being an adult alternative to Fifty Shades for V-Day dates.  However, I doubt the interest will pick up significantly from the first.

The LEGO Batman Movie - 64.5m / 222.5m (3.45x)

I don't think this is increasing from the LEGO Movie, even on opening weekend.  Yes, there's Batman in the movie, but it definitely looks like a sketch that might not be able to work for an entire movie.  It's also a spin-off.  It should still be a good-sized success, and I wouldn't be surprised if it does more than this, I'm just skeptical.

17th

Spoiler

A Cure For Wellness - 17.5m / 47.3m (2.7x)

I want to be optimistic about this being Gore Verbinski's next movie, as he's a good director, I just don't see the buzz for it.

Fist Fight - 18.3m / 46.6m (2.55x)

I think this has potential to break out, but I am skeptical about it, because I predict that about late winter/spring comedies a lot and always get the wrong one.  So I'm going with disappointment for this one.

The Great Wall - 12.5m / 26.9m (2.15x)

Kind of looks like a Pompeii/Gods of Egypt type of bomb.  The trailer is ridiculous, and the GA is pickier about their action tentpoles these days.

Patient Zero - 7.5m / 21m (2.8x)

I think this movie looks like it has potential, sadly I don't think it has much box office potential beyond being a small sleeper.

24th

Spoiler

Get Out - 8.5m / 18.7m (2.2x)

There's to many generic horror movies coming out, that I don't see the appeal for the GA in this.

Rock Dog - 5.2m / 12.7m (2.45x)

What is this?  Plus, Lionsgate sucks at marketing movies.

March

3rd

Spoiler

Before I Fall - 5.2m / 12m (2.31x)

Be real, nobodies going to see this.

Leap! - 4.5m / 10.4m (2.3x)

Weinstein?  They still exist?

Logan - 65.2m / 180m (2.76x)

I can't see this breaking out in the same way that Deadpool did, but I think the trailers have been hitting audiences correctly and this should do better than the last standalone Wolverine movie.  I also think it looks promising and should have stronger than normal legs (for a comic book movie).

The Shack - 7.2m / 26.6m (3.7x)

This should perform like an average Christian flick, as I don't see the appeal in this catching on similar to God's Not Dead or War Room.

10th

Spoiler

Kong: Skull Island - 50.5m / 131.3m (2.6x)

I think this looks like a promising and fun monster movie, but I don't see it breaking out like Godzilla.  There isn't the same amount of hype as Godzilla, and surrounded by other box office beasts.

The Wall - 14.5m / 47.1m

I can see this being a moderate sleeper hit, it looks promising and John Cena is in it.

17th

Spoiler

Beauty and the Beast - 174.2m / 503.4m (2.89x)

The hype is real on this one, I see it being more frontloaded than the Jungle Book due to people rushing out and seeing it, rather than it being a word of mouth hit (with a large opening weekend) like the Jungle Book was.

The Belko Experiment - 3.2m / 7.7m (2.4x)

What a stupid experiment to release your movie on this weekend.

Free Fire - 8.3m / 23.2m (2.8x)

I think this movie looks fun, I don't think it'll find much of an audience on this weekend though.

24th

Spoiler

CHiPs - 12.1m / 29m (2.4x)

This is a TV adaption of something, never heard of it.

Life (2017) - 15.4m / 37.7m (2.45x)

Looks like a poor man's Alien.

Power Rangers (2017) - 28.9m / 73.7m (2.55x)

With Botb being in its second weekend, I see this underperforming and not being the success it could have been.

31st

Spoiler

The Boss Baby - 24.2m / 76.2m (3.25x)

I see this performing pretty similarly to the Storks.  It seems like a concept that's going to make the parents want to pass on it, no matter how much their kids beg.

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 25.5m / 66.3m (2.6x)

I don't see this pulling a Lucy, and it doesn't seem to have much hype going for it.

Step Sisters - 5.2m / 12.5m (2.4x)

A nobody studio releasing a movie from nobodies, it'll perform like a nobody.

The Zookeeper's Wife - 8.4m / 30.4m (3.6x)

I can see this being a small, sleeper drama that manages to pull a decent profit, but nothing to noticeable.

April

7th

Spoiler

The Case for Christ - 14.5m / 60.9m (4.2x)

At my Church they've used this book to teach classes a few times, and it's fairly popular.  It also has a crowd pleasing concept that should be an easy sell to Christian audiences around Easter time, similar to Miracles from Heaven, Heaven is For Real, and God's Not Dead.

Going in Style - 13.2m / 47.5m (3.6x)

I see this being a sleeper hit for the old people, like Tele.

Sleight - 3.2m / 8.3m (2.6x)

A small sundance horror film, this isn't going to do anything at the BO.

Smurfs: The Lost Village - 13.2m / 50m (3.79x)

The Smurfs is a dead franchise, it's not going to do well.

Wonder - 6.5m / 23m (3.55x)

A small drama that should have decent legs.

14th

Spoiler

The Fate of the Furious - 102.4m / 226.3m (2.14x)

I see the franchise going back down to the level it was at prior to Furious 7.

Spark - 7.2m / 19.4m (2.7x)

What is this??

21st

Spoiler

Born in China - 4.2m / 15.8m (3.76x)

It should perform like all of the other nature docs.

Unforgettable - 7.3m / 17.6m (2.41x)

Sounds forgettable.

28th

Spoiler

The Circle - 12.4m / 32.9m (2.65x)

It has a star-powered cast, but I have a feeling this is another dump.

How to Be a Latin Lover - 5.2m / 16.1m (3.1x)

Should perform like a typical small release movie.

Annihilation - 28.2m / 83.2m (2.95x)

This should probably perform like an Oblivion type of release.  I am looking forward to it though.

May

5th

Spoiler

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - 180.4m / 478m (2.65x)

This movie is going to be a smash hit, it's just a matter of how huge.  I see this pulling a dramatic increase from the first and be the runaway success of the summer.

12th

Spoiler

King Arthur - 27.4 / 69.6m (2.54x)

There isn't any hype for this movie, but I still think it should pull mediocre bomb numbers instead of massive bomb numbers.

Lowriders - 4.2m / 12.6m (3x)

A small indie drama that will perform like one.

Snatched - 31.4m / 100.5 (3.2x)

It'll be mothers day weekend, and Amy Schumer is fairly consistent.  Should break out.

19th

Spoiler

Alien: Covenant - 45.2m / 114.8m (2.54x)

Alien movies don't do gangbusters anymore, and I see this one going down from Prometheus (the hype is smaller), especially when surrounded by competition

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - 10.5m / 32m (3.05x)

This should continue the slow, downward trend for this franchise, that never did big numbers in the first place.

Everything, Everything - 8.2m / 23m (2.8x)

A small summer drama that should probably perform like one.

26th

Spoiler

Baywatch - 34.5m / 125.6m (3.64x)

Dwayne pulls a fairly consistent audience, and Summer comedies with star power tend to pull decent legs.  I see this one being a small breakout.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 67.4m / 173.9m (2.58x)

Similar to the Transformers franchise, I see no reason for this to buck the trend of the pirates movies slowly doing less.  Especially since Pirates isn't overly popular anymore like it used to be.

June

2nd

Spoiler

Captain Underpants - 18.5m / 66.6m (3.6x)

I don't see this movie being able to pull a Trolls or Home, especially when it's releasing against a weekend juggernaut that will eat up family competition.

Wonder Woman - 150.4m / 368.5m (2.45x)

Yes, I see this movie being the largest in the DCCU, that's assuming it can pick up the quality (Patty Jenkins is doing it, so I won't count it out).  Wonder Woman is something different, it's the first time we've had a female superhero, and I think that's going to be really appealing for the GA.  Moreso than Justice League actually.

9th

Spoiler

The Mummy (2017) - 28.9m / 63.3m (2.19x)

Yeah, I see this movie bombing.  The movie looks like a turd, there's nothing in the trailer to appeal nostalgically like Jurassic World did.  Unless it's Mission Impossible, Tom Cruise isn't even a guaranteed 20m OW anymore.  Plus with Wonder Woman still going strong, I see this one dying to the competition.

15th

Spoiler

Cars 3 - 65.4m / 225.6m (3.35x)

I think that well done trailer will help save this movie OW and only slightly decrease from Cars 2.  I also think that the quality should be stronger than Cars 2, leading to decent, but unspectacular animated legs giving Pixar a modest hit that sells a lot of merchandise.

Rock that Body - 15.6m / 53m (3.4x)

I'm not expecting much from this right now, but maybe if a promising trailer releases then I could see it being a possible comedy hit for the Summer.

23rd

Spoiler

Transformers: The Last Knight - 74.2m / 160m (2.16x)

This should continue the downward spiral of the Transformers movies, but I still think it has enough in it for a strong OW.  I don't see sub-150m yet.  I also see the OS being strong enough where we still end up getting more of these movies.

30th

Spoiler

Amityville: The Awakening - 7.4m / 17m (2.3x)

Weinstein is releasing a horror reboot that nobody wants.  This will bomb.

Despicable Me 3 - 105m / 315m (3x)

I think this has a slight dip from Minions.  Illumination is still going too strong to be counted out, but I think all franchises will start to suffer fatigue eventually, and I think that's close to kicking in for this one.  I see this being a larger version of Shrek Forever After (except for the fact that more DM movies are bound to come out after this).

The House - 34.2m / 142m (4.15x)

I see this movie being one of the comedy breakouts of the Summer.  It should be able to countermarket well from DM3, and hold well through a July that doesn't have to many comedies.

July

7th

Spoiler

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 105.4m / 273m (2.59x)

I wouldn't get to carried away with predicts for this one.  There's been plenty of Spider-Man movies, and while the character is still popular, audience goodwill needs to be built back up from TASM series.  With the addition of Iron Man, I do see this picking up from TASM though, however I don't think Iron Man being in a movie is a guarantee at 300m anymore.

14th

Spoiler

Bad Dads - 17.4m / 45.2m (2.6x)

I don't see this being able to pull the same audience that Bad Moms did, especially since it screams generic cash grab.

Midnight Romance - 10.2m / 28.6m (2.8x)

A small date night movie that should be able to find a decent sized audience.

War for the Planet of the Apes - 78.5m / 224.5m (2.86x)

This franchise has a great quality track record, and I see this picking up a little from Dawn, similarly to how Dawn picked up a little bit from Rise.  I also see it having strong blockbuster legs, similar to the last two.

21st

Spoiler

Dunkirk - 65.2m / 243.8m (3.74x)

I was initially skeptical about this movie, but after seeing that 70mm IMAX prologue, I am sold with it doing well.  It's going to stand out in a Summer full of blockbuster tentpoles, and while I don't see it being Inception big, I do see it finding quite a large audience (especially with no August competition).

Girl Trip - 24.5m / 93.1m (3.8x)

I can see this being the sleeper comedy hit of the Summer, similar to We're the Millers, Let's Be Cops and Bad Moms.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 12.4m / 27.3m (2.3x)

Yeah... This is bombing.

28th

Spoiler

The Coldest City - 8m / 19.2m (2.4x)

What even is this?

The Dark Tower - 58.4m / 242.3m

Sue Me, I think this is going to really break out.

August

4th

Spoiler

All I See is You - 9.4m / 30.1m (3.2x)

A small August drama will perform like a small August drama.

Blazing Samurai - 5.2m / 14.6m (2.8x)

Why are there two animated films coming out on the same day?

The Emoji Movie - 7.2m / 15.8m (2.2x)

Lolololololololololol.

11th

Spoiler

Annabelle 2 - 18.4m / 39.6m (2.15x)

An unwanted horror sequel to a spin-off horror film.  Yeah, won't do smashing numbers.

Baby Driver - 15.4m / 57m (3.7x)

Edgar Wright is a great director, but not the greatest box office track record.  I could see this being his biggest hit, if only for the fact that August is completely dead.

18th

Spoiler

The Hitman's Bodyguard - 14.2m / 37.6m (2.65x)

Another dumping ground movie.

25th

Spoiler

Cadaver - 10.3m / 23.7m

I know nothing about this except for the fact that horror in August has a poor track record.

Polaroid - 5.2m / 10.9m (2.1x)

Well...Okay?

Villa Capri - 4.7m / 14.1m (3x)

A small studio drama, will have a lackluster run.

September

8th

Spoiler

It - 37.2m / 87.4m

I think this one could breakout, it's a great horror movie concept, from the director of Mama, and it's coming after four weeks of nothing.

15th

Spoiler

The Solutrean - 18.4m / 66.2m (3.6x)

This could be a small, Everest style of a hit.  It's an interesting enough concept, and it's not like it has much competition.

22nd

Spoiler

Granite Mountain - 17.5m / 56.2m (3.21x)

I think it'll perform modestly, a decent cast with a director who has delivered so-so products before.  No reason for it to do much more than this.

Ninjago - 50.4m / 186.5m

Animation tends to do quite well around this time period, and I think Ninjago could pull the OW record for September.  LEGO is still popular, and there wouldn't have been a hit animation since Despicable Me 3, it'll be ripe time for it to succeed.

29th

Spoiler

American Made - 25.4m / 90.2m

Yeah, I think this Tom Cruise movie will be bigger than the Mummy.  Doug Liman is a solid director, and this is a good time to release a sleeper adult hit.  American Made looks like it could do the trick, if it's quality (which is hard to predict).

Flatliners - 13.2m / 31.7m (2.4x)

Another small budget horror flick, I don't see it really breaking out.

October

6th

Spoiler

Blade Runner 2049 - 40.2m / 180m (4.47x)

The Box Office will be itching for a breakout, and I think Blade Runner 2049 is the movie to do it.  The trailers are gripping, Harrison Ford is in it, Villeneuve will ensure that it's a high quality movie, this should be a smashing success.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 32.4m / 93m (2.87x)

I don't see this movie being as large as the first one.  Blade Runner looks to be the more appealing movie, and I'm not positive if audiences will really remember the first one or not.  It should still be a modest success.

My Little Pony (2017) - 27.4m / 87.7m (3.2x)

Ninjago will still be going strong, and this one won't have enough appeal to the parents to go and take their kids to.  Plus, I think the Brony population is gone now, so they won't raid the theater.

13th

Spoiler

Friday the 13th - 60.4m / 114.8m (1.9x)

I think the October OW record is going down with this one, but I also see the legs, including the internal OW multiplier, being terrible (like Insidious 2 on steroids).  

The Commuter - 18.2m / 62.8m

A Liam Neeson action movie in October should pull decent enough numbers, but I don't see it being a Taken style breakout.

The Snowman - 12.4m / 52.1m (4.2x)

I see this one being a sleeper hit, especially with a strong director and cast to back it up.

20th

Spoiler

Geostorm - 19.2m / 51.8m (2.7x)

I don't want to overshoot on this one, but I could see it breaking out.  I just think the October competition is too strong for it to find a large enough audience to do much more than this.

Insidious Chapter 4 - 17.2m / 35.3m (2.05x)

Another Insidious Movie, so it'll likely continue the trend of horror sequels dropping off from their predecessors.

The Mountain Between Us - 7.4m / 25.2m (3.4x)

This will likely get swallowed up in the October competition (honestly, some of these October movies should move to August).

Same Kind of Different As Me - 4.2m / 11.3m (2.7x)

This will be one of those Christian flicks that flops.

War With Grandpa - 6.4m / 17.9m (2.8x)

Weinstein should just go under already.

27th

Spoiler

2017 Cloverfield Movie - 34.2m / 90.6m (2.65x)

I think the Cloverfield anthology franchise should pick up some steam, and this should increase a bit from 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Untitled Saw Film - 24.2m / 54.5m (2.25x)

It's coming out right before Halloween, so that should help it do decent numbers and make a nice profit.

November

3rd

Spoiler

A Bad Mom's Christmas - 24.2m / 92m (3.8x)

This should open modestly and pull a strong multiplier as a countermarket to all of the big blockbusters coming out in November.

Thor: Ragnorak - 102.4m / 250.9m (2.45x)

This has rough competition coming ahead of it, but I think with the addition of the Hulk and Taika Waititi at the directors helm it should pull a strong increase from The Dark World.

10th

Spoiler

Red Sparrow - 26.7m / 118m (4.42x)

You can never be certain, but I have a feeling the Lawrence-Lawrence pair will pull a strong awards contender with this one, and thus lead to a great multiplier.

The Star - 44.5m / 191.2m (4.3x)

This one has a very promising concept that should appeal to the GA, especially over the holidays.  With the last animated film being at the beginning of October, I see it breaking out.

17th

Spoiler

Justice League - 145.2m / 305m (2.1x)

Yeah, I think Wonder Woman will be sizably bigger than this one.  With Thor: Ragnorak two weeks before it, Star Wars coming soon after it, and Zach Snyder directing it, I see a strong (but not spectacular) opening weekend but not much after that.

24th

Spoiler

Coco - 65.2m / 320m (4.91x)

We haven't seen much for it yet, but I have a feeling this won't be the Pixar dud that people are expecting it to be.  In fact, I think this will do smashing numbers.  It should appeal to broad amount of audience members, I think it looks quite promising in quality, and when Pixar delivers quality they tend to also deliver the Box Office.

Let It Snow - 30.4m / 104.8m (3.4x)

It doesn't have a well known cast, but I think Universal will market the Christmas appeal and it should be a nice Holiday hit.

Murder on the Orient Express - 25.4m / 100m (3.94x)

I could see this going two ways, but I am leaning towards it being a successful remake, rather than a flop.  It has a good team working on it, and I could see possible awards consideration.

December

1st

Spoiler

He's Out There - 8.2m / 19.7m (2.4x)

It's the slow build up period before Star Wars slays.

15th

Spoiler

Star Wars: Episode VIII - 265.5m / 1003.6m (3.78x)

I'm going all in on this prediction.  Smashing the OW record and the All-Time DOM record, while also being the first movie to ever reach 1b domestic.  The Carrie Fisher effect will happen.

22nd

Spoiler

Downsizing - 15.4m / 110m (7.14x)

Alexander Payne should turn this into an Awards contender, so with an all-star cast, I see this legging its way over 100m.

Jumanji - 44.2m / 212.3m (4.6x)

The Rock should turn this movie into a large family hit, that everyone goes to as an alternative to Star Wars when its sold out.  

Pitch Perfect 3 - 38.4m / 169.7m (4.42x)

Pitch Perfect is still a popular comedy franchise, and it's perfect countermarketing to Jumanji and Star Wars.  This should definitely find a nice audience.

The Six Billion Dollar Man - 7.2m / 31m (4.2x)

Weinstein is gonna weinstein.

The Story of Ferdinand

I think this is moving so I am not going to guess it.  My projection is that it switches dates.

27th

Spoiler

The Greatest Showman on Earth - 14.3m / 82.9m (5.2x)

The P.T. Barnum flick should find some holiday legs and possibly some awards consideration.

Notable Movie Ranking

1. Star Wars: Episode VIII - 1003.6m
  2. Beauty and the Beast - 503.4m
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - 478m
  4. Wonder Woman - 368.5m
  5. Coco - 320m
  6. Despicable Me 3 - 315m
  7. Justice League - 305m
  8. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 273m
  9. Thor: Ragnorak - 250.9m
  10. Dunkirk - 243.8m
  11. The Dark Tower - 242.3m
  12. The Fate of the Furious - 226.3m
  13. Cars 3 - 225.6m
  14. War for the Planet of the Apes - 224.5m
  15. The LEGO Batman Movie - 222.5m
  16. Jumanji - 212.3m
  17. The Star - 191.2m
  18. Ninjago - 186.5m
  19. Logan - 180m
  20. Blade Runner 2049 - 180m
  21. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 173.9m
  22. Pitch Perfect 3 - 169.7m
  23. Transformers: The Last Knight - 160m
  24. The House - 142m
  25. Kong: Skull Island - 131.3m
  26. Baywatch - 125.6m
  27. Red Sparrow - 118m
  28. Alien: Covenant - 114.8m
  29. Friday the 13th - 114.8m
  30. Downsizing - 110m
  31. Let It Snow - 104.8m
  32. A Dog's Purpose - 102.4m
  33. Split - 101.4m
  34. Snatched - 100.5m
  35. Murder on the Orient Express - 100m
  36. Girl Trip - 93.1m
  37. Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 93m
  38. Fifty Shades Darker - 93m
  39. A Bad Mom's Christmas - 92m
  40. 2017 Cloverfield Movie - 90.6m
  41. American Made - 90.2m
  42. My Little Pony - 87.7m
  43. It - 87.4m
  44. The Greatest Showman on Earth - 82.9m
Edited by Negative Panda Covfefe
  • Like 11

Alright, so here are my detailed Top 10 predictions (listed by DOM).

Spoiler

War of the Planet of the Apes

OW: $78M

DOM: $222M

WW: $707M

This one is probably staying flat with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Although, it could have a slight increase over the second film because the trailers have hinted at a film greater than its predecessor. The franchise has played strongly overseas. So, the same can be expected for this film. All of this should lead to a solid $700M worldwide gross.

Spoiler

Thor: Ragnarok

OW: $97M

DOM: $233M

WW: $685M

I believe Thor: Ragnarok will experience a decent increase from its predecessor, Thor: The Dark World. The addition of the Hulk along with this being a crucial set-up to the highly anticipated Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 will make Marvel fans more interested in this than the previous two Thor installments. However, a possible negative factor that could come into play is that Thor: The Dark World is usually regarded as one of the worst of the MCU films, which means a slight decrease could be possible. However, I believe that setting up the third Avengers movie will help it overcome the distaste left by the second Thor film. Therefore, the film should open pretty well on its debut weekend. Its legs may be dependent on how it holds against Justice League and Star Wars: Episode VIII, but a 2.4x multiplier sounds like a safe bet.

Spoiler

Wonder Woman

OW: $107M

DOM: $270M

WW: $702M

Wonder Woman seems to be what could be the saving grace of the DC Extended Universe. The novelty of seeing the first big budget film adaptation of Wonder Woman will interest plenty of DC fans and will encourage them to see the movie. It's also fresh and new by being the first female-led comic book film, which if it turns out great, could lead to a gross better than my prediction. The film also looks like it will be the best of the DCEU installments as hinted at by the trailer, which has been pretty well received. If it really is good, we are likely looking at a $100M+ opening and possibly hang on better than previous installments in the DCEU (something like a 2.5x multiplier). If Suicide Squad can do $100M+ on opening weekend with toxic word of mouth, than Wonder Woman has a great shot at opening north of $100M.

Spoiler

The Fate of the Furious

OW: $122M

DOM: $282M

WW: $1.025B

Furious 7 was a huge over-performer both domestically and overseas. It was partially thanks to Paul Walker’s death having an impact on fans and causing them to want to see his final appearance in a film. It is safe to say that Fate of the Furious will experience a sizeable drop from Furious 7, but still have a highly lucrative box office run. Legs should be very similar to Furious 7 as the franchise seems to have a frontloaded nature. It should garner a 2.3x multiplier on its way to a $280M+ domestic gross. Fate of the Furious should still manage a $1B+ worldwide gross because the Fast and Furious franchise has recently become a monster overseas. Furious 7 did 76% of its $1.5B worldwide gross overseas! Speaking of that, overseas will drop from Furious 7 as well but still manage enough to top $1B worldwide.

Spoiler

Spider-Man: Homecoming

OW: $125M

DOM: $327M

WW: $982M

Spider-Man: Homecoming looks like it will be the film that will make Spider-Man great again. Fans and audiences alike adored his MCU debut in Captain America: Civil War. There is definitely a lot of hype for Spider-Man’s first solo film after how audiences responded to him in Civil War, which is why the opening should be among the biggest openings in the Sam Raimi trilogy. This probably means an opening in the $125M vicinity with solid legs for an MCU afterward with the help of summer weekdays. The one factor that has a slight possibility of weighing this film’s box office run down a little is the bad will from the Amazing Spider-Man films as they received mixed to negative reviews from critics and audiences (especially negative for the second movie). However, I believe the marketing campaign for Homecoming will be able to wash away the thoughts of those movies and help deliver a great Spider-Man film. If the film is very good, it may very well be the first Spider-Man film to cross $1B worldwide.

Spoiler

Despicable Me 3

OW: $108M

DOM: $345M

WW: $1.038B

This one is sure to see a dip from Despicable Me 2. Minions received mixed reviews from critics and audiences in 2015. So perhaps audiences could get fatigued by the Despicable Me franchise. However, Despicable Me 2 and its predecessor were liked pretty well by audiences (the second to a little lesser of an extent). This could minimize the drop for this film and prevent it from pulling a ‘Shrek Forever After’. Assuming the film is solid, it should still open very well and have decent legs for an animated film as it has minimal family fare to compete with for the following weeks. Overseas will be massive as the Despicable Me franchise has very wide appeal internationally, which is why it will probably pass $1B+ worldwide.

Spoiler

Justice League

OW: $170M

DOM: $382M

WW: $1.032B

Justice League is the DCEU’s most important film going forward and how it does will likely determine the future of upcoming DCEU films. It is the first big screen team-up of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, and Cyborg. It is almost impossible that this becomes another Avengers because every film in the DC Extended Universe so far has had mixed to negative reception. However, it can still open very high because it is something fans have waited a long time to see. We’re likely looking at an opening in the neighborhood of $170M and legs should be the usual for DC Universe films (around 2.25x). Considering the fact that streaks have to end somewhere, Justice League could end up being better received than previous DCEU installments. Maybe then, it could crawl past $400M domestically. Overseas, it will likely make up the standard 60%+ of the worldwide gross, giving it a $650M overseas gross and $1B+ worldwide gross.

Spoiler

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

OW: $168M

DOM: $404M

WW: $1.122B

Guardians of the Galaxy was a very unique comic book movie from others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. You had a talking raccoon, a talking tree, other charming and charismatic characters, etc. It was a surprise sleeper hit in summer 2014 when it debuted to $94.3M and garnered a strong 3.5x multiplier on its way to a $333.2M total. Its freshness and uniqueness helped the film expand beyond appeal to the fan-base to general audiences. The movie has gained a massive following after its release and the sequel is certain to have a massive opening this May. Disney’s amazing marketing team should be able to market this movie just right. So far, that is the case. The amount of trailer views broke an all-time record for Marvel, which means that there is a very high awareness and most likely a very high interest because the trailer has been very well received. I believe we are looking at an opening above $165M. Legs will likely be the same as Marvel’s other mega openers (around 2.3x-2.4x). This should still be enough for a massive $400M+ total. Overseas should follow the pattern of Marvel’s other heavy hitters and make up more than 60% of its worldwide gross, pushing it past $700M overseas and resulting in a $1.1B+ worldwide gross.

Spoiler

Beauty and the Beast

OW: $154M

DOM: $480M

WW: $1.263B

Disney has been on a roll with its live-action remakes. This year, The Jungle Book debuted to a massive $103.3M and spawned long legs that propelled it to a $364M total. And now comes a real heavy hitter. Beauty and the Beast is one of Disney’s most well known and well-received films in its history. It smashed the box office when it was released in 1991 and has been a timeless classic ever since. This is another case where nostalgia will boost a film to enormous heights at the box office just like it did to Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Jurassic World.

90s kids who saw the original over two decades ago will flock to this film to relive their childhoods and the film will widely appeal to a new generation of kids as the trailers have been hinting at a great film. It is already evident that interest and awareness for this film is very high because the trailer garnered the most views for any movie trailer in 24 hours. The opening weekend will be massive as I believe we are looking at a $150M+ opening and perhaps have a 3x multiplier that pushes the total past $475M. Assuming the movie is great, word of mouth will be through the roof. Overseas will likely be the same story as these live-action remakes have had consistent domestic/overseas ratios (32%-37%/62%-68%). This should propel the film to a massive $750M+ overseas gross and a $1.2B+ worldwide gross. There is no doubt that Disney will market the hell out of this movie and help it explode at box office in March and spawn strong legs that will slot it in the #2 spot for 2017.

Spoiler

Star Wars: Episode VIII

OW: $230M

DOM: $784M

WW: $1.742B

The power of the Star Wars franchise is at an all time high, as shown by the legendary performance of The Force Awakens. It was the pure definition of a cultural phenomenon because it was the event that everyone had to go see. Over thirty years of anticipation had built up to this and the payoff was incredible. Not only was the hype through the roof, the movie was very well liked by audiences. The Force Awakens absolutely demolished records with its $248M opening on its way to an astronomical $936.7M domestic gross. So where will Episode 8 land? It is most likely that the film will not top its predecessor, just like sequels such as Age of Ultron, The Dark Knight Rises, Spider-Man 2, etc. were never going to top their predecessors as they were also cultural phenomena that had perfect storms that built up to their release. Looking at sequel drops from large predecessors, Age of Ultron dropped 26.4% from The Avengers’ $623.4M domestic gross. Applying this drop to Episode 8 gives it a $689.7M gross. The Dark Knight Rises dropped 16% from The Dark Knight’s $533.3M gross. If Episode 8 plays the same way, it grosses $787M. Spider-Man 2 only dropped 7.5% from Spider-Man’s $403.7M gross. A hold like this gives Episode 8 an astounding $866.8M total. Thanks to strong December legs and Rogue One’s over-performance showing that interest in these movies remains very high, Episode 8’s drop from The Force Awakens should be smaller than Age of Ultron’s and closer to The Dark Knight Rises’. A $784M gross for Episode 8 would be enough to slot in the all-time #2 spot right behind its predecessor. There is also the added novelty of seeing Luke Skywalker in action for the first time in 34 years, which is something fans will be on the edge of their seats for. I do think that the death of Carrie Fisher could give this movie a significant uptick at the box office it has had a major impact on fans worldwide. Many will want to see her in her final film, which is what took place with Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight and Paul Walker in Furious 7. Perhaps it may propel the movie past The Force Awakens’ opening weekend record. Overseas will probably maintain a ratio close The Force Awakens and the prequels. There is not a single movie in 2017 that stands a chance of challenging Episode 8 for the crown as it is guaranteed to win 2017 and give the franchise its third domestic crown in a row.

• Like 5

On 1/4/2017 at 2:08 PM, filmlover said:

What is The Star?

It's my top sleeper movie of the year:)...If it's any good, I think it will have the legs to push itself into the #10 spot for DOM BO this year...over Thor, Coco, Pirates 5, Cars 3, etc, etc, etc:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

12 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's my top sleeper movie of the year:)...If it's any good, I think it will have the legs to push itself into the #10 spot for DOM BO this year...over Thor, Coco, Pirates 5, Cars 3, etc, etc, etc:)...

I can't see it pushing itself into the top 10 DOM if it has to compete with Coco.

$100-125 million DOM would be a reasonable expectation based on past early November animated films. But legs could be quite strong. 

If The Star is good I can see it and Coco surviving together like Moana and Sing or Trolls.

If two animated films were to breakout this year, I can see Ninjago and The Star breaking out over $150M maybe $200M if it's good, because lack of big family films (except ???) since DM3.

Edited by YourMother

Top 10 domestic:

10.) Coco

OW: $55M(3 Day)/$75M (5 Day)

Domestic: $250M

International: $350M

WW: $600M

10.) Dunkirk

OW: $65M

Domestic: $250M

International: $300M

WW: $550M

9.) Thor: Rangarok

OW: $125M

Domestic: $275M

International: $525M

WW: $800M

8.) Lego Batman

OW: $80M (3 Day)/$105M (4 Day)

Domestic: $300M

International: $350M

WW: $650M

8.) Fate Of The Furious 

OW: $120M

Domestic: $300M

International: $950M

WW: $1.25B

7.) Wonder Woman

OW: $130M

Domestic: $310M

International: $400M

WW: $710M

6.) Despicable Me 3

OW: $105M

Domestic: $320M

International: $780M

WW: $1.1B

5.) Spider Man: Homecoming

OW: $145M

Domestic: $330M

International: $670M

WW: $1B

4.) Justice League

OW: $160M

Domestic: $345M

International: $700M

WW: $1.045B

3.) Guardians 2

OW: $175M

Domestic: $420M

International: $740M

WW: $1.16B

2.) Beauty and The Beast

OW: $190M

Domestic: $545M

International: $800M

WW: $1.345B

1.) Monster Trucks (Just Kidding)

OW: $1B

Domestic: $10B

International: $5B

Worldwide: $15B

1.) Episode 8

OW: $230M

Domestic: $820M

International: $1.4B

WW: $2.24B

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Just now, jandrew said:

@La La Panda I love how say not to get carried away with Spiderman, but give Guardians like a $150 million increase. There's no guarantee that Guardians will increase, and I personally can't fathom by that much. We've made this mistake plenty of times.

Guardians is detached from the rest of the Marvel movies and is the most GA-approachable (for people who haven't been into the superhero scene).  I expect it to behave different than the rest.

• Like 1