CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Just caught this. I wasn't sold on Halle in the trailers but she definitely owns the role, especially after she turns human. OTOH the other mermaids were all pretty terrible, especially in the cheesy final scene. Overall definitely worse than Aladdin, about on par with BatB. The new songs were all embarrassingly bad, I'm actually shocked LMM did these since I usually like his Disney songs.  

Princess Live Action Rankings:

A: Cinderella - improves on the original in every way

A-: Aladdin - mostly good and lots of fun, Speechless is the only good new songs in these remakes, however Jafar was a big stepdown from the animated version

B: BatB/TLM - much worse than the original, especially the new songs, but not terrible on its own

F: Mulan - dishonor on you, dishonor on your cow!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lion Roar said:

Just caught this. I wasn't sold on Halle in the trailers but she definitely owns the role, especially after she turns human. OTOH the other mermaids were all pretty terrible, especially in the cheesy final scene. Overall definitely worse than Aladdin, about on par with BatB. The new songs were all embarrassingly bad, I'm actually shocked LMM did these since I usually like his Disney songs.  

Princess Live Action Rankings:

A: Cinderella - improves on the original in every way

A-: Aladdin - mostly good and lots of fun, Speechless is the only good new songs in these remakes, however Jafar was a big stepdown from the animated version

B: BatB/TLM - much worse than the original, especially the new songs, but not terrible on its own

F: Mulan - dishonor on you, dishonor on your cow!

I mostly agree, but I found TLM mostly better than the original. (But I only watched the animated one this week for the first time)

For me it's:
A Cinderella
A- Aladdin

A- TLM

B+(or A- depending on my Mood) BatB

I was actually told on another message forum on a completely different site (a Disney site) that "well, you probably liked the sequel trilogy too". I do, but that's besides the point. That very sentiment that is all around us is what is wrong with the whole culture of entertainment.

• Like 1

I watched it on IMAX/3D and I'm really impressed by the visuals the immersive feeling. Yeah, there are some scenes where it could be better, but when it's good they didn't play around. It's STUNNING. This movie was definitely made to be seen in a premium screen.

Anyways, the movie also feels better on a second watch.

• Like 3

In this year's "Turning Red didn't mention 9/11!" overblown Twitter Discourse over a Disney movie...

Poor Little Mermaid, too woke for the right yet also not woke enough for the left apparently. You know, there are actually fantasy books about Black mermaids vs the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Maybe some will get adapted as movies someday, but probably not by the Disney Princess division, be serious now.

In the real world, the weekend hold is looking good so far.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

In this year's "Turning Red didn't mention 9/11!" overblown Twitter Discourse over a Disney movie...

Poor Little Mermaid, too woke for the right yet also not woke enough for the left apparently. You know, there are actually fantasy books about Black mermaids vs the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Maybe some will get adapted as movies someday, but probably not by the Disney Princess division, be serious now.

I dont feel like Disney has been protecting Halle at all, but the last laugh is on Halle, she's getting prominence I'm following her and she's literally gaining 100,000 followers daily on Instagram and TikTok, she has The Color Purple up next, she's the new face of Gucci and Crocs and she's been getting raves for TLM and will likely get more high profile roles after the writers strike is over!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs7Kx7uJ_aF/?hl=en

Edited by joselowe
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

it increasingly feels like every fucking movie/TV show is now a battleground in the culture wars

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yeah, it's a movie where black mermaid has a white dad and a white aunt and sisters who are Asian and Indian among many other. It isn't a commentary on the real world which is why it's having great holds. People want summer escapism and are getting exactly that. Even ragetubers shut up once they found out the movie wasn't political and Ariel wasn't a girlboss. 

It's also a movie where all human races are united in mistrust of mermaids. Eric's adoptive black mom freaked out when Ariel's mermaid nature was revealed. Can't people who make hot takes think? I guess if they did they wouldn't make hot takes.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Entertainment has never been "politically neutral", but people weren't so obsessed with wanting to be outraged about everything all the damn time either. If something like Terminator 2 released today people would be crying about girl power and whatnot instead of appreciating the film as being some good fucking shit.

A fantasy family film not choosing to tackle a specific subject isn't erasure, it's just not relevant to the film. This isn't a freaking biopic lol

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Snort Laugh GIFs | Tenor

Because when I want to learn about slavery, I turn to a Disney movie full of singing sea creatures.

Folks will find anything to get mad about these days just for the ad money attention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Entertainment has never been "politically neutral", but people weren't so obsessed with wanting to be outraged about everything all the damn time either. If something like Terminator 2 released today people would be crying about girl power and whatnot instead of appreciating the film as being some good fucking shit.

A fantasy family film not choosing to tackle a specific subject isn't erasure, it's just not relevant to the film. This isn't a freaking biopic lol

Even Star Wars was never politically neutral. Lucas stated that he drew inspiration from the Vietnam War, and he’s compared Palpatine to people like Richard Nixon. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

We just have to accept that the days of “politically neutral” entertainment are over, at least for awhile. People look for validation in movies and TV in ways that they didn’t before. 

Still can't believe X2 was allowed to get away with the final scene of the X-Men threatening POTUS in the wake of 9/11

MCU X-Men are gonna have a much tougher time. Feige needs to drop the hammer and ignore the trolls to ensure the franchise stays true to its themes and messages.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Even Star Wars was never politically neutral. Lucas stated that he drew inspiration from the Vietnam War, and he’s compared Palpatine to people like Richard Nixon. 

Almost everything is political one way or the other. TGM is political. Avatar is political. Almost every piece of media has some sort of politics in it one way or another. Everyone has political views. Everyone. This includes the people who write the scripts, the directors who film the damn thing and everyone in between. It's just absurd to expect those to never come through, and frankly it would be ridiculous as well.

But now people have this absurd idea of hunting down everything that's "woke", or anything that is "problematic", or what's "not progressive enough", and so on. It's such a narrow-minded way of thinking to just remove all critical thought and just boil everything down to one side vs the other.

This doesn't mean there aren't examples of garbage being passed around (i.e. the Cleopatra series), but people really need to come to their senses with this bullshit. It is so reductive, insulting, and pathetic.

Art forms would be so fucking dull if authors were supposed to be apolitical and not insert their experiences, thoughts and feelings into their works.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 6

This was one of the best Disney Live-Actions so far. Maybe I am a bit biased because The Little Mermaid is my favorite WDAS movie but I thought this was pretty good all things considered. Maybe not as fun as Aladdin but pretty entertaining. Halle was fantastic in this and gave Ariel so much personality, also her voice is outstanding and that made the songs so emotional. I also thought Jonah Hauer-King was pretty great as Prince Eric and actually improved over the original with the new song and the backstory, his chemistry with Halle was excellent. King Triton and Ursula were kind of just there, not bad not great, kinda wish they would have expanded Ursula's role a bit more as I thought Melissa McCarthy did a good job with what she was given. The sidekicks were fun and kind of grew on me as the movie progressed. 

Ranking of Disney Live Actions (Haven't seen Peter Pan and Wendy): 

1. Aladdin

2. The Little Mermaid

3. The Jungle Book 

4. Cinderella

5. Maleficent

6. Beauty and the Beast

7. Cruella

8. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

9. The Lion King

10. Alice in Wonderland

11. Dumbo

12. Mulan

13. Lady and the Tramp

14. Alice: Through the Looking Glass

15. Pinocchio

• Like 1

Disney Japan Notice! (Link)

『リトル・マーメイド』光点滅シーンに関して

About "The Little Mermaid" flashing light scene

6月9日公開『リトル・マーメイド』本編には、一部、光に対して敏感なお客様がご覧になられた場合、光過敏性発作やてんかんの症状など、光感受性反応による諸症状を引き起こす可能性のあるシーン(光の点滅が続くシーン等)が含まれております。光に対する感受性は個々のお客様によって異なりますので、ご鑑賞いただく際には予めご注意ください。光刺激に敏感なお客様は、ご鑑賞に際して、注意深くご判断いただくようお願いいたします。

In the main part of "The Little Mermaid" released on June 9th, if customers who are sensitive to light see it, it will cause various symptoms due to photosensitivity reactions such as photosensitivity seizures and epilepsy symptoms. Possible scenes (scenes with flashing lights, etc.) are included. Please note that sensitivity to light varies from person to person. Customers who are sensitive to light stimulation are requested to make careful judgments before watching