CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and Ant-Man are more popular than all the Xmen.

We must accept we live in strange new times. I give it 5 years before Squirrel Girl outdoes them too at this point (I'm dead serious, I think Marvel could make a pretty decent movie out of that). 

Well...Wolverine was largely missing. But this is also the era where Deadpool beat Batman and Superman.

Though, I think it's not necessarily just the popularity of the brand or characters, though X-Men always lagged Spider-Man and what not. It's also the execution of the movies and what brand means. Being known as a household name means *something*, but execution of the movie and what they do the characters means an awful lot more.

Edited by superweirdo87

30 minutes ago, Nova said:

There are no guarantees when it comes to a movie doing over a billion dollars so no one is going to "lock it in." I mean if the holy trinity of DC can be susceptible and not make a billion dollars then I refuse to believe there are films locked to make a billion dollars when no one knows a single thing about them. 

- Same cast

- Disney marketing

- Last one had amazing reviews

- Last one had great WOM

- Will be similar in tone

- 80%+ RT locked in

We know plenty about it.

3 minutes ago, leatherjacket said:

If it follows DOFP pace, the total cum will be just above 170M, which is a HUGE disappointment for FOX. I wonder how some people call a 80M 4day weekend a success?

Who called it a success? And 140-150 is much more likely. 170 would hurt, but it would not be so bad, especially did Deadpool making so much.

1 hour ago, Deathlife said:

If someone had told me that Apocalyse 3 day might be less than what BvS and Civil War did in a day, I might've called them crazy.

Based on what? DOFP has everything going for it and made a total of $233 million in the US. Was there any basis to think that ideally this could go much higher? And it turned out not to be close to ideal given the reviews. 

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

You keep using that word...

Automatic? This is a direct sequel and will not need to worry about plugging in this character or that character. It's not going to be overstuffed. It'll be a smaller linear story. All audiences have to do is watch the first one if they hadn't already. Critics adored the first one. Gunn is returning with the same cast.  It would be shocking if the RT number was below 80.

Edited by Johnny Tran

5 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Who called it a success? And 140-150 is much more likely. 170 would hurt, but it would not be so bad, especially did Deadpool making so much.

Part of the problem is that people are confused by Deadpool. Unless they completely rebranded X-Men as dark comedy one has nothing to do with the other. X-men is an established brand, serious bordering on humorless. Given the themes of X-men it is very hard to lighten the tone. Even with stronger reviews nothing in the X-men performance history indicated that this would get near $300 million in the US. The ceiling is strong. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

- Same cast

- Disney marketing

- Last one had amazing reviews

- Last one had great WOM

- Will be similar in tone

- 80%+ RT locked in

We know plenty about it.

Last one this last one that. Do you have any relevant information about GOTG2 besides referring to the information from the first one which has nothing to do with it in terms of quality, reviews etc? 

2 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

lmao at this commitment. i got 2 independence day trailers at my x-men screening

Lucky you!  I got Bourne and Tarzan.  Bourne looked pretty good.  I'm reserving judgment on Tarzan.

Were the trailers good?

2 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I was really hoping X Men would break out. I should have kept my earlier predictions for it, before being swayed by the hype.

What hype?  Everybody expected it to disappoint massively for the past three weeks (once the subpar reviews started coming in).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nova said:

There are no guarantees when it comes to a movie doing over a billion dollars so no one is going to "lock it in." I mean if the holy trinity of DC can be susceptible and not make a billion dollars then I refuse to believe there are films locked to make a billion dollars when no one knows a single thing about them. 

Any movie with Iron Man played by RDJ in a leading role is LOCKED to do 1B+.  All the Star Wars direct sequels are LOCKED to do 1B+.

7 minutes ago, zenithtim said:

Any movie with Iron Man played by RDJ in a leading role is LOCKED to do 1B+.  All the Star Wars direct sequels are LOCKED to do 1B+.

I reluctantly agree with this

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

BTW @No Prisoners....I believe our magic number was 54% for the three day. Looks like I am currently winning with a 53% drop.

The bet is 53.4. It's currently 53.3 which is not an actual.

I don't mind paying in losing by .001. The point was CA3 would not hold like AOU or IM3 but like Asm2 or worse. Close enough for me to as an additional proof of piracy. 

O/U is 15,349,918.37 gonna be close

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, zenithtim said:

A movie with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman is LOC-...oh wait, nvm

• Like 2

Whoa, I'm late getting these posted. Here's projections for the next week, based on the four-day estimates. Note that the weekend drops are from the four-day total, so they're higher than normal.

X-Men: Apocalypse

Tuesday: $5.66M (-61.5%)

Wednesday: $4M (-29.4%)

Thursday: $4.13M (+3.23%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $93.8M

Friday: $8.61M (+109%)

Saturday: $12.9M (+50.4%)

Sunday: $8.24M (-36.4%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $29.8M (-62.8%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $178M (2.23x)

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Tuesday: $1.78M (-75.2%)

Wednesday: $1.41M (-20.7%)

Thursday: $1.39M (-1.28%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $38.8M

Friday: $3.43M (+146%)

Saturday: $5.37M (+56.5%)

Sunday: $4.02M (-25.1%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $12.8M (-62.5%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $79.5M (2.33x)

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Tuesday: $1.66M (-23.4%)

Wednesday: $1.51M (-9.23%)

Thursday: $1.19M (-20.9%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $15.8M (-45.9%)

Friday: $1.54M (+28.8%)

Saturday: $1.86M (+20.9%)

Sunday: $1.67M (-10.2%)

THIRD WEEKEND TOTAL: $5.06M (-55.8%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $59.6M (2.74x)

Captain America: Civil War

Tuesday: $1.61M (-62.9%)

Wednesday: $1.41M (-12.4%)

Thursday: $1.27M (-10%)

FOURTH WEEK TOTAL: $24M (-44.4%)

Friday: $2.09M (+64.5%)

Saturday: $2.96M (+41.8%)

Sunday: $2.29M (-22.7%)

FIFTH WEEKEND TOTAL: $7.34M (-62.8%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $411M (2.3x)

The Angry Birds Movie

Tuesday: $1.26M (-78.5%)

Wednesday: $1.13M (-10.5%)

Thursday: $1.23M (+9.06%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $28.2M (-40.8%)

Friday: $3.11M (+153%)

Saturday: $5.87M (+88.5%)

Sunday: $4.06M (-30.8%)

THIRD WEEKEND TOTAL: $13M (-47%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $134M (3.51x)

The Nice Guys

Tuesday: $939k (-42.4%)

Wednesday: $915k (-2.59%)

Thursday: $873k (-4.54%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $10.9M (-29.2%)

Friday: $1.08M (+23.5%)

Saturday: $1.46M (+35.6%)

Sunday: $1.38M (-5.92%)

THIRD WEEKEND TOTAL: $3.92M (-51.9%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $36.3M (3.24x)

Money Monster

Tuesday: $618k (-48.5%)

Wednesday: $604k (-2.29%)

Thursday: $649k (+7.36%)

THIRD WEEK TOTAL: $7.42M (-22.9%)

Friday: $732k (+12.9%)

Saturday: $844k (+15.2%)

Sunday: $779k (-7.68%)

FOURTH WEEKEND TOTAL: $2.35M (-57.6%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $41.1M (2.78x)

The Darkness

Tuesday: $109k (-35.3%)

Wednesday: $118k (+7.84%)

Thursday: $113k (-4.54%)

THIRD WEEK TOTAL: $1.24M (-58.7%)

PROJECTED DOMESTIC TOTAL: $10.4M (2.09x)

• Like 2